1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
They should go for broke and call it a class A

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
"We aren't looking to make money but need to get out our investment out to build a bigger one "

OMG, are they admitting that they were taken to the cleaners by this BearTooth Vanworks company? Now I have to look at their website and see how much they charge to bolt a few things onto a van.

They are all nicely done, but nowhere NEAR being worth the additional $100,000 over the cost of the van and parts (basically $100k in labor)

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

Registered
Crazy price but don't be surprised if it sells for close to this.

Converted vans are the hot ticket item right now. If you have decided that camping or better still boondocking is your best bet for a vacation during the pandemic, then you need a van now, now, now dammit. Waiting for one to get built in 2021 isn't an option.

I get multiple requests to check out my van every time I'm anywhere near it. I recon I could sell it twice a day, for double what it cost to build.

Reactions: surly Bill

Registered
I would sell our Transit for only $214,999. And it has TWO turbos!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I guess if you're a hedge fund manager or tech billionaire or retired 40 year pension public employee $215,000 doesn't seem like much for a van. It would be like you or I spending $150 on a new pair of running shoes. But if you start looking at the nickels and dimes, renting that van for $300 a DAY would be 2 years of continuous use, 24/7-365 to reach $215k. People that buy stuff like that van rarely own it for more than a year before a shinier object catches their eye (like THIS seller!).

I know a LOT of people who have ATVs, snowmobiles, boats, RVs, etc that sit unused 340+ days a year. If they just rented that equipment for the days they DO use it, they would be money ahead. Resale, you say? Yeah, right. Resale on used recreational equipment like that is less than half the purchase price after a few years, even if it's unused. Oh, yeah, and there's the licensing and insurance. And storage, either paid or loss of space on your property. It is a struggle for me to accept, because I like to OWN my stuff, but renting often makes more sense and cents.

Registered
I get multiple requests to check out my van every time I'm anywhere near it. I recon I could sell it twice a day, for double what it cost to build.
I've had people waiting at my van after shopping walmart so they can ask to check it out. I used to think my jeep got a lot of attention, nope, not by a longshot. People love converted vans these days.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Eurostyle vans are pretty common around here now, I get a few people now and then wanting to ask about it, but they all seem to be people aspiring to be affluent homeless people, wanting to live in a van down by the river. Or in the Google parking lot, where they work.

When I bought my red Sprinter Wagon in '05 I had throngs gathering around it all the time, everywhere. I contemplated having cards printed out with the pertinent info so I wouldn't have to repeat the spiel all the time, sometimes a dozen times a day. I DID print out a flyer for the window with facts, specs and history, and a big NOT FOR SALE at the bottom, and put that in the side window. I got the idea from owning Corvair Rampside, which also got a lot of attention, so I printed a fact sheet for the window.

Reactions: OldMadBrit

Registered
At the risk of repeating myself, IMHO, its COVID19 that is driving the pricing. All the van builders and gear suppliers are back ordered. If your van isn't already being built you are not going to get it this summer. So any decent van conversions are going to get premium $s for at least the next few months.

Speaking as a business owner, 100% profit on the build-cost is considered essential for any successful business. That's why those of us who have the skills and time, build our own.

Registered
I always consider that a thing cost what someone will pay for it!

If I have the money and for only $150K, I'll consider something like this

150K and it is parked next to a picnic table and chain link fence. They are really using the overland capabilities to their full potential here.

Registered
200g on a 4x4 sprinter van is almost pretty standard these days from a reputable builder. OutsideVan quoted me 60 to 80g just to do the interior of my van, no power or plumbing, just insulation, walls, bed and 3/4 partition. I wanted to lip them off and tell them how insane that was but I remembered they have a huge wait list so some people must be paying for them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking as a business owner, 100% profit on the build-cost is considered essential for any successful business. That's why those of us who have the skills and time, build our own.
I believe that's called "keystoning"; doubling your investment. At a minimum.

ie; buy something for $50, sell it for $100.

Registered
I always consider that a thing cost what someone will pay for it!

If I have the money and for only $150K, I'll consider something like this

Nice but it wouldn't fit down many of the better trails that we travel. One cool thing about the Transit is that it will fit on any trail that a full-size pick-up will fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Nice but it wouldn't fit down many of the better trails that we travel. One cool thing about the Transit is that it will fit on any trail that a full-size pick-up will fit.
That thing is a little longer than a pickup, but the same width. It's huge approach and departure angle make up for the length.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts