Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Folding fairlead license plate holder for VanCompass Winch + Front Receiver?

441 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  sYfte
Has anyone found a good folding fairlead license plate holder for VanCompass Winch + Front Receiver that is deep enough (about 4 inches) so the license plate sits flat against the front hitch receiver?

The shop that installed my which mount/hitch receiver put a shorter folding license plate holder that is only about two inches deep, do the front license plate is at a ~45 degree angle.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2021 AWD Transit 350 148" Long HR
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know why you'd want to cover up the receiver like that. I made my own that sits flush with the bumper and just barely meets the fairlead.
Yeah, fitting just above the hitch receiver when the license plate is folded down would work too (as long as it has enough space for the Factor 55 Flatlink or similar device). Tough figuring that exact fit from online product photos though.

Best candidates I've found so far:
  1. DV8 LPBM-01 License Plate Winch Bracket
  2. Fishbone Offroad Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount
  3. Cascadia 4x4 Flipster
  4. KMFCDAE Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount Winch License Plate Holder

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, fitting just above the hitch receiver when the license plate is folded down would work too (as long as it has enough space for the Factor 55 Flatlink or similar device). Tough figuring that exact fit from online product photos though.

Best candidates I've found so far:
  1. DV8 LPBM-01 License Plate Winch Bracket
  2. Fishbone Offroad Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount
  3. Cascadia 4x4 Flipster
  4. KMFCDAE Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount Winch License Plate Holder
I went with the Cascadia 4x4 Flipster and it worked - the license plate folds down over the fairlead and the Factor 55 Flatlink with plenty of space, and even folds down over the Vancompass front hitch receiver.

Fishbone said their license plate mount wasn't deep enough for the fairlead plus the Flatlink. Reviews of the DV8 mount said the Warn fairlead was too wide to fit between the arms. The KMFCDAE holder had a 4-6 week lead time so I didn't consider it.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I see how that would make more sense when the winch is more easily hidden on non-Transit platforms. Anyways, here's what I ended up doing with mine.
Cool. Did you just attach the metal strip in the photos to the plastic of the bumper remaining after the Vancompass instructed bumper cutting?

P.S. Does your Warn winch rope spool out the bottom or top of the drum? I think my installer did it wrong - it sounds like from the instructions and online posts the rope is supposed to come off the bottom of the drum (which lines up with the fairlead opening) but mine was installed coming off the top of the drum.

· Registered
310 Posts
Cool. Did you just attach the metal strip in the photos to the plastic of the bumper remaining after the Vancompass instructed bumper cutting?

P.S. Does your Warn winch rope spool out the bottom or top of the drum? I think my installer did it wrong - it sounds like from the instructions and online posts the rope is supposed to come off the bottom of the drum (which lines up with the fairlead opening) but mine was installed coming off the top of the drum.
I bought a stainless piano hinge from McMaster and put a few holes in it and then attached it to the plastic bumper. Yes, the winch spools from the bottom. I'm not sure how you could get it to spool from the top unless you flipped the winch around 180.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts