Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
138 Posts
Alright, he needs 9 more orders to get a batch going. Who else is in?! Don't make me make one myself!

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
93 Posts
I think that makes three in this thread with interest. Earlier he said a minimum of 5...here’s hoping a few more wander by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you obtain power access for powering the lighting. I do not have the extra switches in my build and would like wiring power prior to switch to be ignition controlled to avoid BCM issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
where did you obtain power access for powering the lighting. I do not have the extra switches in my build and would like wiring power prior to switch to be ignition controlled to avoid BCM issues.
All my lighting power is supplied directly off the positive block in the engine compartment via relays mounted within the engine bay. I then put small switches on the dash to trip the relays. For the switch power, I tapped into the driving light wire for the fog lights as I like to be able to have them on at the same time. For the light bar, I tapped into the high beam wire as that's the only time I want that to come on! No lights can be turned on if the vehicle lights are off. Hein @ Impact Products make a dash switch, I copied the idea by purchasing my own switch and mounting it into the dash blank.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Power for front lighting is also easily accessible from the engine bay fuse box. Fuse slot F12 is unused and hot on ignition. We were just discussing this over in Electrical: (25) Fog Light Relay / Upfitter Switch / High Low Beam Control | Ford Transit USA Forum and (25) Tapping into a Dash Illumination Signal for Dimmable Lighted Switches | Ford Transit USA Forum

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
FWIW,

I replaced my turn signals with LED Switchback bulbs. Turn signals are now white running lights until turn signal is activated, then it is a flashing amber. Back to white running lights when done. :cool:

Semper Fi

Reactions: ratherberiding

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
93 Posts
FWIW,

I replaced my turn signals with LED Switchback bulbs. Turn signals are now white running lights until turn signal is activated, then it is a flashing amber. Back to white running lights when done. :cool:

Semper Fi
Now there’s a thought. Any flash issue with the leds?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
FWIW,

I did the same, love it! Now if I only had auto lights!! I tried them first without a resistor, no go, the ones I bought need them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FWIW,
I did the same, love it! Now if I only had auto lights!! I tried them first without a resistor, no go, the ones I bought need them.
Now there’s a thought. Any flash issue with the leds?
A bit off-topic, unless they work well for driving or fog lights...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
A bit off-topic, unless they work well for driving or fog lights...
The thought was maybe the turn signals could be replaced with fog / driving and still function as turn signals. Didn't mean to offend.

Semper Fi

Reactions: njvagabond

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
The thought was maybe the turn signals could be replaced with fog / driving and still function as turn signals. Didn't mean to offend.
I guess it's possible that a switchback (dual color) LED turn signal could function in this manner, but in a stock transit housing, there's no way to aim the light, which is quite important for a fog light application while detrimental to casting a wide spread for the turn light. And for a driving light, the housing should act as a projector to illuminate far down the road, however the housing is likely designed as a flood to get better angular cast/visibility of the turn signal. Maybe a higher light output, dual color LED casts enough "flood" light in the white, running light mode to better light the corner of the vehicle? It seems that by designing a switchback bulb in concert with a special, aimable housing, one could get a fog/turn signal that worked okay, however the fog light would turn off when the signal flashed. Seems futile.

Well, maybe not completely futile. I see that there are projector style switchback LED packaging that give a bit of "driving" functionality to it, like: https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-Switchback-Projector-Replacement-Daytime/dp/B07JVHV7QB/

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Well, maybe not completely futile. I see that there are projector style switchback LED packaging that give a bit of "driving" functionality to it, like: https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-Switchback-Projector-Replacement-Daytime/dp/B07JVHV7QB/
The your thought on the parking light housing and this statement about the difference in functionality of the bulb you linked vs the "typical" switchback bulb brings up an interesting thought .
" Light up Amber for turn signal lights. The turn signal flashes "amber-off-amber-off" instead of "amber-white-amber- white", which makes it easier to see (Most switchback bulb on the market flash amber-white-amber-white)."
If one was interested in cornering lights vs driving or fog lights then the bulbs with the "typical" amber-white vs the linked bulb with amber-off might be helpful/preferable. (Apologies in advance if "cornering" lights is off topic).

21 - 35 of 35 Posts