Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
i put a Ranger Designs contoured bulkhead in (it gives me an L shaped kitchen and more room in front of the door) and the bulkhead is not much more then an inch from the foam blocks, so yes it looks like the foam blocks do very little or else ranger would not have designed it to be such a close fit! (ranger did put U shaped pieces of rubber on the sheet metal near the blocks though, i guess to keep it from puncturing the bag when it deploys)

·
Registered
760 Posts
DrJean

use this, https : // www . etis . ford . com / home . do , select the vehicle tab and enter your VIN, your air bags will be listed.

Thanks guys! I did read the "airbag" imprint earlier... but then I got a little above the slider side one and can see in the gap... the white membrane in there. Kewl! I got air bags lolol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello Van Fans:

I purchased my van 2 weeks ago to build a camper. First thing I did was rip out the foam covers, removed the headliner, and rip out the side curtain airbags. No they didn't go off in my face, no I didn't unhook the battery, no I didn't let them drain off overnight. I installed furring strips to the roof to hold my ceiling, and then reinstalled the headliner. Yes I do have the restraint system warning lamp illumined on my dash. The only thing I noticed was when I had the headliner removed my key fob would not work. I found an antenna thingy attached to the headliner and the dome light power wiring I had unplugged.

I also have my roof air conditioning and a roof vent installed. Need I'll do the floor I guess.

Cheers: Jeff

·
Registered
448 Posts
my 2 cents

I agree with sschefer

Airbags are installed so they deploy in the direction they are needed, they don't need to be guided.
The foam is a transition piece and to keep the airbag safe.
They could have used plastic, I'm guessing foam is cheaper.
I agree with what you say, but not sschefer. As I said in another thread, I think the foam blocks are there to provide additional occupant safety. The airbags, like you say, are self-guided and I can't fathom how, given the force of the bags and the fact that the path of least resistance is under the headliner. I think the bags would likely blow the blocks out if they were facing that way. IMHO of course.

I'm slightly shortening my blocks at the top to allow my new headliner. I will probably cover them with headliner material and re-install them so they serve their purpose. I don't think this will effect their function either way and it will allow them to perform this padding function.

Reactions: Kitsune

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a used Transit and the prior owner removed the foam blocks. I'm worried about airbag safety or warranty/insurance issues. Does anyone know where I can order replacement foam blocks or know the part number? I've looked on Ford part websites but can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I purchased a used Transit and the prior owner removed the foam blocks. I'm worried about airbag safety or warranty/insurance issues. Does anyone know where I can order replacement foam blocks or know the part number? I've looked on Ford part websites but can't seem to find it.
Just wait for someone remove theirs and pay them to ship it. I threw mine away, someone surely will be in a similar boat. Also, just don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
t seems the consensus is the foam blocks aren't necessary for the side air bags to work properly?
Not true. No one knows what they're for but I believe the foam blocks help guide proper downward deployment of the side curtain airbags.

In MRs and HRs, you can see that the aft end of the airbags are folded over and peeking out from the headliner. Without the foam blocks, the path of least resistance for that part of the airbag at least is to deploy backwards which won't be helpful to you.

Others here believe it's to cushion your head in a rollover. I doubt that because did vans or other vehicles have cushioning for heads?

Having said all that - are my foam blocks present and accounted for? ... no, they are not.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
In 2015 the side air bags were an option that I did not buy. I still had the foam blocks.

I compromised. Removed the one over the driver and kept the one over the passenger. That way I can only be half wrong.

If my head gets close to those foam blocks in an accident, I have more serious issues that the foam blocks will not fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the input and replies. I'll go foam block-free.

My van also came with the headliner removed, so the side air bags are now exposed. Any advice on what to use to cover them up?

Is the headliner important for airbag safety? Seems the fabric headliner would create a small barrier for the side airbags to blast through and without the headliner the airbags might shoot out with more force.

·
Registered
332 Posts
you can look at pics of the airbag deployed or the drawings in the bemm and see that it covers the b-pillar. so it actually comes a few inches behind the rear of the headliner thus they needed something soft to protect the airbag. i am not sure i believe that the blob is going to direct an airbag coming out at 200mph. i would expect that an airbag inflates to a given shape regardless of any foam but i would not have anything hard in front of it that could be a projectile. i made a cover out of a block of soft foam carved into shape with a turkey carving knife and covered it with fabric. it is held in place by velcro. hopefully i never find out if it works.

g

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’ve been planning on putting a shelf over the cab. But the placement of the side curtain airbags worries me. I spoke to Sportsmobile, who installs a shelf in their conversions over the cab, and they claim that the airbags can be left in place and will function. You can see an example of this here:https://sportsmobile.com/conversion-examples/63-transit-design-your-own-plan/

Has anyone else put a shelf in this location with the side curtain airbags?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do you have experience with the purpose of this foam? Many of us on the forum have speculated, some have removed the blocks entirely, some have trimmed the back off of them. Commercial upfitters have removed them entirely. We're trying to understand what can safely be done. The strange thing for us is that the foam blocks are so far above the head when seated that unless we're not wearing seatbelts, they wouldn't seem to come into play in an accident. Using your term, I found this info:

http://www.konal.com/automation-equ...omation-equipment/head-restraint-back-foaming
Molded Headliner Back Foaming of Head (HIC) Restraints

The foaming of the headliner impact blocks is both a cost and time saver for the customer. Most of the headliners today have a molded urethane (HIC) block attached to the headliner for head impact. Each one of the blocks is unique to the area on the headliner, which means there is inventory for each one and each style of headliner. The blocks also have to be attached with an adhesive and then verified and not fall off during handling and installation.

Konal has developed a system to mold the blocks to the back side of the finished headliner. This system not only guarantees that all of the blocks are in the proper place, but it also helps in the attaching of the wire harness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curious if there's any consensus as to whether there needs to be clearance allocated adjacent to styrofoam blob; in so far as allowing the side airbags to operate properly? I've been kind of stuck on this in so far as coming up with a specific design to implement in that neighborhood of the van. I don't mind leaving blob in place, but not sure how close I can build up to it? By the same token, I would remove blob entirely if it can be done safely without affecting functionality of air bag.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts