Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the attached photo find my sink base constructed from 15-Series 8020.

It is bolted to the wall with a 5/16 bolt with a 2" inch washer behind the wall.

QUESTION is regarding my floor anchor. I have two..... using a 5/16 bolt,the backing is a 1" x 2" piece of 3/16 aluminum flat stock.

To those of you who have actually anchored cabinets through the floor: Do you think that is enough of a backing of should I have used something more like a 4" x 4" plate of 3/16 aluminum??

Thanks a million,

Dave in Wisconsin

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1x2 is kinda small. I would go larger if you can.
Teah.... for everyday driving the existing backing is OK. But it is difficult to estimate what forces would be exerted in a hard braking situation at 70 mph.

Thanks.

Dave in Wisconsin

·
Registered
265 Posts
1x2 seems fine to me. Only a 5/16 bolt. Why Al and not steel for your plate? Steel washers , bolt, van floor.... Also kinda depends on how many bolts u r using, grade, what it is holding.

If it helps, I used 6 1/2” grade 5 bolts thru floor w/ heavy fenderwashers to secure a 250 lb batt box.

I am using (steel) plates (1.5 x 2”, size based on what i had handy) where a fenderwasher would not lay flat due to floor corrugations.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If “hard braking” can rip a bolt thru the floor then there is something way wrong. Your plate size is fine for a small cabinet that is not solid lead. Plate material and bolt size might be reconsidered based on loads and galvanic corrosion.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
the factory seat mounts have a washer/plate that overlaps the edge of the supporting beam under the floor ribs. If possibly, bolt like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts