Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
2015 Eco mid/mid cargo.
Flexshaft Coupling/Giubo recall: Has Anybody had U Joint replacement yet?

EDIT:
AFTER TALKING TO DEALER AGAIN
permanent fix (U Joint) is offered only on these vehicles.
129/130 WB 3.2 diesel
138WB 3.7 single wheel
148WB 3.7 dually
All others get temp Giubo replaced every 40k miles.
=========================================
I've seen one, he paid for it. It requires driveshaft replacement for coupler to mate U Joint. (Shaft is $1000)

I was thinking of taking mine in tomorrow morning for Recall Service @ 27k miles.

Recall calls for permanent U Joint: "AS A PERMANENT REPAIR, YOUR DEALER WILL REPLACE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT SECTION AND INSTALL A UNIVERSAL JOINT FREE OF CHARGE" (Ford Recall 19S38 - OCT 25, 2019 )

Great, but any dealer tells you: "No, You get Giubo"

Who do I have to talk to/What do I have to say to get the U Joint??
It's right there on Ford's Recall Letter.

Should I just go for the better greater Giubo as that seems to be all that's available?.
However, then my vehicle may be checked off for that recall number, and not be eligible for the U Joint without a big fight later.

Thoughts? Has anyone succeeded in replacing with U Joint?
It's rare for me to have time off to drive 1.5hrs to dealer, so I'm leaning toward the temp fix, though if I can demand
the part delivered in, I'll wait for that. Nothing but time right now.

Would you insist dealer drives before replacing to affirm there is no vibration problem prior to fixing?
I suppose with Giubo there's little to no risk for that. I think I would for driveshaft replace..
Thanks!

Relevant Threads:
I was under the belief there were just two wheelbase lengths. 130" (short) and 148" (med and long)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looking at the picture the area where the broken bolt was looks very shiny like there was movement before it broke, which would indicate a bolt that came loose and broke. That would be the case if all of the bolts were loose when that one broke. If the others were tight when that one broke, yes over torque might be the cause.
All the bolts were stretching, eventually past there limit. Asked (beforehand) if I could inspect the used part, surprisingly they did. One of the two remaining bolts came out the one to the left in pic broke. Over torque or to loose doesn't really matter in a bad design flaw.
In the end I'm happy with the final driveline fix.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Call today to see about Parts availability for permanent u-joint replacement driveshaft. Same dealer that replaced the guibo first time. Got two letters in the past year for the 1 9 s38. Before ordering parts they want me up there so they can inspect the drive shaft and check torque on bolts. They say it's a Ford requirement. An extra trip up there then come back to wait on parts. This happened with anyone else? Does anyone know I I need to make two trips to get mandated recall fixed?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Call today... Before ordering parts they want me up there so they can inspect the drive shaft and check torque on bolts. They say it's a Ford requirement. An extra trip up there then come back to wait on parts. This happened with anyone else? Does anyone know I I need to make two trips to get mandated recall fixed?
That's been the norm for recall and any other work, at my local dealer. It's maddening, but, less so if you go in knowing what to expect, and just be cool.

·
Registered
712 Posts
About 7 weeks ago, called my local Ford Stealer to schedule a date to get the driveline safety recall addressed. (Van had close to 30K miles on it and my inspection of the torque coupler revealed that is had major cracks in it.) 3 days before appointment, dealer called and cancelled my appointment stating the parts to repair had not been received and they would call back. I had my 4K mile trip planned, so I ordered a MOOG brand torque coupler right away. 3 days later, the new coupler arrived and I immediately installed it.
5 weeks later, I have not heard back from the dealer regarding the replacement parts. I assume the parts are not readily available from Ford to do my upgrade.

I would have been really pissed off, if I didn't have the capability and tools to replace the failing torque coupler, and have that delay my cross country trip.

·
Registered
304 Posts
About 7 weeks ago, called my local Ford Stealer to schedule a date to get the driveline safety recall addressed. (Van had close to 30K miles on it and my inspection of the torque coupler revealed that is had major cracks in it.) 3 days before appointment, dealer called and cancelled my appointment stating the parts to repair had not been received and they would call back. I had my 4K mile trip planned, so I ordered a MOOG brand torque coupler right away. 3 days later, the new coupler arrived and I immediately installed it.
5 weeks later, I have not heard back from the dealer regarding the replacement parts. I assume the parts are not readily available from Ford to do my upgrade.

I would have been really pissed off, if I didn't have the capability and tools to replace the failing torque coupler, and have that delay my cross country trip.
Got mine done last week, took a long weekend to get the parts in.

Have not driven it yet because the parts for the rear hub oil leak are on nationwide back order until 9/23.

2017 350HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks guys. We're going to wait on the new universal joint drive shaft. Last time there was a permanent fix I ran out to get the new guibo. Couple months later they came out with a new permanent Final Fix. Which is the new drive shaft and steel universal joint. It's not costing me anything out of pocket to get these fixes done. But it's a lot of time involved. There's sixteen thousand miles left on the first permanent fix flexible guibo, going to run it down and either get the drive shaft or another guibo at 40,000 total.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Got mine done last week, took a long weekend to get the parts in.

Have not driven it yet because the parts for the rear hub oil leak are on nationwide back order until 9/23.

2017 350HD

I won't take my van into a shop until they actually have the parts FOR MY VAN on the shelf.
This not only benefits you, but them as well. They don't have to take up space in their lot with your van; maybe needing to move it to get at some other vehicle.
Ask the service writer to do this when scheduling any recall work on your operational van. If it's broke down and not running, that's another matter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I won't take my van into a shop until they actually have the parts FOR MY VAN on the shelf.
This not only benefits you, but them as well. They don't have to take up space in their lot with your van; maybe needing to move it to get at some other vehicle.
Ask the service writer to do this when scheduling any recall work on your operational van. If it's broke down and not running, that's another matter.
While I understand your position, for non-recall warranty issues, they refuse to order parts until it is in the rack and the technician verifies the problem. Keeps them from getting stuck with parts $$$.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
While I understand your position, for non-recall warranty issues, they refuse to order parts until it is in the rack and the technician verifies the problem. Keeps them from getting stuck with parts $$$.

Yeah, when my TC was going out they verified it when I had to leave it there for a day, then let me take it homer until the parts arrived a week or so later. I think it would be the same for a recall; bring it in so they can make sure what model it is (SN# can sometimes not be clear on what parts it was BUILT with...) and then let you take it until the parts come in.

·
Registered
2015 T250 Highroof 3.5 EcoBoost Lunar Gray.
20 Posts
My guess is that they want to use up their stock of guibos before they start fitting vans with u-joints.
Many vans will be sold or traded or junked before they get through their 2nd or 3rd guibo. It makes sense for Ford to use up the parts they already paid for even if they will be replacing them later rather than throw them away.

I have zero fears the guibo is going to suddenly disintegrate. I have the replacement "upgraded" guibo, and I visually inspect it for cracks when I change the oil. If you see cracks, you probably have only 20-50k miles left before they become a problem. According to other users here on the forum who found cracks in the original guibo.
I kind of wanted another Giubo because I thought it would be smoother on shifts but they installed the U-Joint and front driveshaft section and I can't feel any difference. 2015 T250 148"wb 3.5 eco HR at 80,000 miles. No charge. .

·
Registered
304 Posts
Glad you got yours and it is okay. Turns out they had the driveshaft part but not the u-joint. Lastest word is nationwide back order with no availability date.

Same goes for the leaking rear hub bearing and seal. Ford customer service won’t even take your name and make out a case number. “If it’s on back order we can’t do anything “.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Glad you got yours and it is okay. Turns out they had the driveshaft part but not the u-joint. Lastest word is nationwide back order with no availability date.

Same goes for the leaking rear hub bearing and seal. Ford customer service won’t even take your name and make out a case number. “If it’s on back order we can’t do anything “.
I called my Ford Stealer last week about my recall. They stated several parts are on back order with no delivery date. This is in alignment with mikeehlert's experience. I am wondering if by chance the MOOG brand torque coupler I installed, will fail in the same way as the OEM one.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts