Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 Eco mid/mid cargo.
Flexshaft Coupling/Giubo recall: Has Anybody had U Joint replacement yet?

EDIT:
AFTER TALKING TO DEALER AGAIN
permanent fix (U Joint) is offered only on these vehicles.
129/130 WB 3.2 diesel
138WB 3.7 single wheel
148WB 3.7 dually
All others get temp Giubo replaced every 40k miles.
=========================================
I've seen one, he paid for it. It requires driveshaft replacement for coupler to mate U Joint. (Shaft is $1000)

I was thinking of taking mine in tomorrow morning for Recall Service @ 27k miles.

Recall calls for permanent U Joint: "AS A PERMANENT REPAIR, YOUR DEALER WILL REPLACE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT SECTION AND INSTALL A UNIVERSAL JOINT FREE OF CHARGE" (Ford Recall 19S38 - OCT 25, 2019 )

Great, but any dealer tells you: "No, You get Giubo"

Who do I have to talk to/What do I have to say to get the U Joint??
It's right there on Ford's Recall Letter.

Should I just go for the better greater Giubo as that seems to be all that's available?.
However, then my vehicle may be checked off for that recall number, and not be eligible for the U Joint without a big fight later.

Thoughts? Has anyone succeeded in replacing with U Joint?
It's rare for me to have time off to drive 1.5hrs to dealer, so I'm leaning toward the temp fix, though if I can demand
the part delivered in, I'll wait for that. Nothing but time right now.

Would you insist dealer drives before replacing to affirm there is no vibration problem prior to fixing?
I suppose with Giubo there's little to no risk for that. I think I would for driveshaft replace..
Thanks!

Relevant Threads:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
My guess is that they want to use up their stock of guibos before they start fitting vans with u-joints.
Many vans will be sold or traded or junked before they get through their 2nd or 3rd guibo. It makes sense for Ford to use up the parts they already paid for even if they will be replacing them later rather than throw them away.

I have zero fears the guibo is going to suddenly disintegrate. I have the replacement "upgraded" guibo, and I visually inspect it for cracks when I change the oil. If you see cracks, you probably have only 20-50k miles left before they become a problem. According to other users here on the forum who found cracks in the original guibo.

Reactions: SilverStar

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, considering drive shaft cost, absolutely makes sense. I guess they had to announce the permanent fix because everybody knew it already HAD been fixed. And leave us to battle the service & parts dep'ts. Seems like they'd be legally obliged to follow their own (latest) recall procedure. I'd be less concerned if I had more time off, but I usually work every day but Dec.25 and my dealer is 1hr away. That and I don't want to get "checked off" for that recall and then have to argue for the permanent fix later. I think you're right, they hope we just disappear. It's not like they haven't brushed off much more serious (albeit through being less predictable) issues. Hello Ford Exploder (?). They make pretty good vans though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AFTER TALKING TO DEALER AGAIN
permanent fix (U Joint) is offered only on these vehicles.
129/130 WB 3.2 diesel
138WB 3.7 single wheel
148WB 3.7 dually
All others get temp Giubo replaced every 40k miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
FWIW my 2015 has the Giubo and the 2108 a U-joint. Other than that the drive trains are identical. I notice no benefits to having the U-joint, in fact that van is the only one of the two that occasionally experiences a thrum under the right conditions.
As long as Ford is replacing the flex coupling, go with it. It seems that it ensures you will not have to foot the bill for a U-joint for years to come.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you guys considered having a driveline shop build a driveshaft with a u joint to replace the section with the flex coupling? I have had driveshafts custom built, shortened repaired etc from driveline shops for very reasonable prices.
The last one was straightened, 2 new u joints and balanced for under $200.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
Have you guys considered having a driveline shop build a driveshaft with a u joint to replace the section with the flex coupling?
I have not, as long as I have no problems with the factory one and Ford is willing to keep replacing the flex coupling as long as needed.
That's almost like a free lifetime warranty, and if they get around to putting a U-joint in at say, 100,000 miles, I will have a brand new driveline for free rather than one with 100k miles already on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have not, as long as I have no problems with the factory one and Ford is willing to keep replacing the flex coupling as long as needed.
That's almost like a free lifetime warranty, and if they get around to putting a U-joint in at say, 100,000 miles, I will have a brand new driveline for free rather than one with 100k miles already on it.
I understand.
I just am not a fan of going to the dealership very often

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well after 22k my bolts with the improved flex cupeling are breaking off. Something got to give.
Dealer is putting the universal joint on (the recall) even though I'm not on the list yet my vin# shows the recall.
Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing with Ford Motor Company I guess. Or they ran out of bolts for the coupling. ???

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
dealership dis-service center probably torqued the too tight, weakening the bolt. I doubt replacing the guibo with a u-joint and new driveshaft (required) will do anything about the overtorqued bolts when they assemble THAT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dealership dis-service center probably torqued the too tight, weakening the bolt. I doubt replacing the guibo with a u-joint and new driveshaft (required) will do anything about the overtorqued bolts when they assemble THAT.
[/QUOT
Maybe that and its just a shitty design. somethings got to give.
Either way Im getting the universal which is what I wanted.
Oh and I'll probably check the bolt torques for good measure.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Yeah, you do need to check their homework, or look up the proper torque specs and leave them a not taped to the chassis right where they'll be working!
No way the rubber guibo itself caused the bolt to break off. Metal bolts are stronger than fiber reinforced rubber. If anything, the U-joint style would be more likely to break bolts.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, you do need to check their homework, or look up the proper torque specs and leave them a not taped to the chassis right where they'll be working!
No way the rubber guibo itself caused the bolt to break off. Metal bolts are stronger than fiber reinforced rubber. If anything, the U-joint style would be more likely to break bolts.
I guess it took two wrongs to make it right.
A little math for them: over torque + shitty design = U-joint fix
IMO the bolt are to small for application they are to loose in the hole and allow the bolt to be subject to side forces they did not account for in the design process .
If you look at my pic closely you will see wear on only one side of that sleeve the bolt goes through. the bolts are slowly stretching over time.
Then well they break.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
cool

·
Registered
27 Posts
Went for a short 20 mile loop. Funny all those weird noises coming from underneath the van have all gone?
So I crawled under to see the work. The new driveline looks to be powder coated or at least painted well, not like the rusted unpainted it replaced. Oh and they added the sound weight thing to the axel too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking at the picture the area where the broken bolt was looks very shiny like there was movement before it broke, which would indicate a bolt that came loose and broke. That would be the case if all of the bolts were loose when that one broke. If the others were tight when that one broke, yes over torque might be the cause.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts