Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I don't know the normal interval for the diesel engine. Still, I'll comment. The normal interval (recommended for non-extreme use) for the Ecoboost gas engine is 10,000. I gave it the first oil change at 5,000. I later decided I should have done it even sooner -- just good practice for new engines.

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
374 Posts
fule
I don't know the normal interval for the diesel engine. Still, I'll comment. The normal interval (recommended for non-extreme use) for the Ecoboost gas engine is 10,000. I gave it the first oil change at 5,000. I later decided I should have done it even sooner -- just good practice for new engines.
I've got 1400 on my 2020 Ecoboost and I'm planning first change at 3,000.

Manufacturers design oil change intervals to do two things: a) make the consumer feel confident that their vehicle is an impenetrable force of machine that will 'never' need service and 2) let the lawyers decide how far they can push intervals and serviceability before too many warranty claims come in.

Now, that being said, I followed the OLM in my 2015 and got 109000 lubrication-related, trouble-free miles before it's sad demise in a traffic accident. Didn't use nary a drop that was noticeable and, other than permanent decreased fuel economy from a 5-tank experiment with E85, ran perfectly throughout it's life.

I will be taking a much more conservative approach with the Ecoboost with it's higher demands on internals and fluids and my heavy foot. Wheeeeeee!

Reactions: SnoDrtRider

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
OOOO! another Oil thread!

Personally, I change the factory oil/filter after the first tank or two on a new vehicle. Why? It's cheap insurance to get any residual metal shavings and gunk out of the recently assembled engine. AND you can be assured that you're running quality synthetic instead of low performance, short life dinosaur oil. So, sometime between 500-1000 miles. I'm not very extreme, so I follow the recommended 10k interval, also because it's easy to know when because I do it on the 10k odometer marks (20k, 30k, 40k, etc). I use Mobil-1 syn so I'm not concerned about it breaking down in just 10k miles, or even 15k miles. Advancements in technology are wonderful things. In cars up into the 1990's you needed to change the oil every 2500-3500 miles because of the quality of the engines, filters, and oil. We're probably not far off from "lifetime" engine oil, like tranny fluid (not really "lifetime", but over 100k).

advice I've learned from this and other forum websites:
Change your oil with every fill up.
Pay a dealer $250+ for oil changes.
Use boutique $10/qt oil that is unavailable in stores

Reactions: phil

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
374 Posts
OOOO! another Oil thread!

Personally, I change the factory oil/filter after the first tank or two on a new vehicle. Why? It's cheap insurance to get any residual metal shavings and gunk out of the recently assembled engine.
Engines of today are machined with much tighter tolerances than of yore. Also, they are manufactured with "break-in" oil that should remain in the engine for a specified time. I'm not going to do the Googlage to find out what break-in oil is or why it works but many mechanics follow the science as well.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,575 Posts
We have a 2019 diesel transit. The change oil message came on at 2700 miles. Is this normal?

Dt
How many months between the first time it ran and now? I thought the Transit, both gas and diesel, had an onboard system to determine the oil change interval based on usage, duration of trips, temperatures, load, etc. Mine came on at exactly 1 year from the day it was picked up at the Matt Ford. It only had 3,400 miles on it .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many months between the first time it ran and now? I thought the Transit, both gas and diesel, had an onboard system to determine the oil change interval based on usage, duration of trips, temperatures, load, etc. Mine came on at exactly 1 year from the day it was picked up at the Matt Ford. It only had 3,400 miles on it .
That makes sense. We got it in 5/19.
Dt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every vehicle ever made has a small booklet in the glove compartment, it's called the owner's manual, it has all the information required so that you do not need to post silly questions on posts like this and get even more silly answers. People wouldn't be over inflating their tires and causing damage and having major lawsuits with the manufacturers. People wouldn't be putting overpriced synth oil in vehicles at way too short of interval causing themselves tons of extra money with 0 improvement, in any aspect. These new vehicles calculate oil interval by engine load and driving habits. my Transit 350 with a kuv utility body goes up to 16,000 miles between oil changes, it's in the owner's manual, the engineers who designed it are smarter than we are. No matter what brand vehicle, always use the fluids specified in the little mystery book because that is what the metalurgists who designed the engine have submitted as the appropiate protection. And never, EVER, even think about using an orange filter. That will surely kill your engine. Don't believe me??? Visit your local junkyard and look at every engine that is blown it will have an orange oil filter I guarantee it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Every vehicle ever made has a small booklet in the glove compartment, it's called the owner's manual, it has all the information required so that you do not need to post silly questions on posts like this and get even more silly answers.
Welcome to the forum. You sound knowledgeable, so I have a question for you that is not really addressed in the manual. I found that many other people had the same question (by Googling), but never really found out the "why."

The manual for the Transit (and for other Fords such as the F-150, F-250, and Ranger pickup) say not to tow anything for the first 1,000 miles. Okay, fair enough, and one of the main reasons I was able to find seems to be because the differential gears need to be broken in gradually, without too much heat (this also holds true if you change the gears later and need to break in new ones). More weight = more heat (plus speed I imagine is a factor).

But they never say a word about weight IN the van or truck. When my previous camper van was brand new (had like 20 miles on it), it came already made into a camper van. This added about 3,000# to the bare van. But nary a word in the manual about it possibly being an issue. Not even a "drive gently if you have a large load during break in" suggestion. Whereas apparently towing a 2,000# trailer would be bad for it.

(Obviously this wouldn't even be a question if it were a 10,000# 5th wheel or something which would clearly not be a good idea.)

Just one of those things I've always been curious about that I couldn't find in the manual. Silly most likely. It came up when my buddy went to pick up his Ranger, and it would have been very convenient for him to drive his 2,500# tow car over and then tow it back behind the Ranger (no tongue weight, just the 2,500# on its own four wheels with its own brakes). That's what started me researching this (for him). I never found a real answer.

The manual is clear, but..... I guess I'm one of "those people" who thinks: Okay, you could haul 4,500# INSIDE the van or truck, but you can't tow 2,500#? Why?

·
Registered
2022 T250 AWD Eco Boost 148 EXT High Top
4 Posts
Being a new member as well as a new owner I am going to put my 2 cents in.

First let me tell you I am a (former) ASE Certified Master Tech as well as a (former) Alfa Romeo Master Tech. My last year of certifications was 1992.
Back then Synthetics were barely in their infancy and they only synthetic fluids readily available were DOT 5 brake fluid.
Mobile 1 was fairly new to the market.

That being said after having my last van (2006 Chevy Express) that I bought in 2012 with 150,000 miles on the 4.8 LS engine which I changed oil in EVERY 5,000 miles using Mobil1 High Mileage Formula which I just sold a few weeks ago with 360,000 miles on the clock I am a believer in synthetics BUT NOT extended service intervals.
5,000 miles is about the limit I would go with full synthetic and with regular Dino or Semi Synthetic I would never do more than 3,000 miles.
There are well documents issues with vehicles on You Tube where the manufacturer specified 15,000 mile service intervals and depending on how the vehicle was driven (short stop and go trips V Highway miles the engines were packed with sludge with as little as 20,000 - 30,000 miles.

Do yourself a favor and change your oil every 5,000 miles with a good synthetic oil.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I guess I am lucky the transit oil life monitor tells me to change the motor oil every 4,000 miles.
Synthetics, 15 years ago it was differential oil only so putting it in the motor is fairly recent.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
777 Posts
Being a new member as well as a new owner I am going to put my 2 cents in.

First let me tell you I am a (former) ASE Certified Master Tech as well as a (former) Alfa Romeo Master Tech. My last year of certifications was 1992.
Back then Synthetics were barely in their infancy and they only synthetic fluids readily available were DOT 5 brake fluid.
Mobile 1 was fairly new to the market.

That being said after having my last van (2006 Chevy Express) that I bought in 2012 with 150,000 miles on the 4.8 LS engine which I changed oil in EVERY 5,000 miles using Mobil1 High Mileage Formula which I just sold a few weeks ago with 360,000 miles on the clock I am a believer in synthetics BUT NOT extended service intervals.
5,000 miles is about the limit I would go with full synthetic and with regular Dino or Semi Synthetic I would never do more than 3,000 miles.
There are well documents issues with vehicles on You Tube where the manufacturer specified 15,000 mile service intervals and depending on how the vehicle was driven (short stop and go trips V Highway miles the engines were packed with sludge with as little as 20,000 - 30,000 miles.

Do yourself a favor and change your oil every 5,000 miles with a good synthetic oil.
I'm also a certified tech and I've been racing amateur and pro for 30 years. I used to build racing and hot street motors for myself and others.

Do yourself a favor... get your oil analyzed at 5000 miles. Even in an air cooled motor putting out 3x the stock power and drag raced regularly, Mobil1 was just barely starting to break down at 10k miles. In my passenger vehicles it was even higher mileage.

But don't take my word for it, send your oil out to be tested at 5k miles. See if it's worn out or practically brand new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts