Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Ford rep at the Houston show told a prospective customer this. Has it really been pushed back that far...which could then easily turn into possibly not for at least a full year from now?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm being told about 10 weeks from now from my local dealer. Who knows how accurate this is... but I'm really close to putting my order in, so I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, any time frame or expected order time to actual delivery times are just guesses at this point. I research things pretty thoroughly before I buy, and would suggest that the members of this forum probably already know more about the Transit than alot of Ford dealer employees that you will try to seek information from. We are just WAY more interested in this van than your average Ford employee at your average local dealer. Not necessarilly smarter, just more anxious. I'm just glad I can wait it out, as my GMC savana is apparently not ready to die yet. Minus 10 degrees this am, started right up, went on 6 business calls, kept me warm all day, life is ok even if Ford seems to be taking its time.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Wonder if it depends on options chosen. Looks like some items will cause the van to be made later in the year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great point...I have already decided that there is a zero percent chance that I will order a transit until I physically drive one, see the actual interior trim, with some of the options that I will be wanting. I specifically went to the huge Chicago Auto Show 12 months ago to check it out. They did have one Transit there, but it was closed up and had it roped off. It was pointless for it to be there, and the Ford reps were clueless and uninformed. Maybe the 2014 auto show in Chicago (in early Feb) this year will actually be helpful. If anybody hears or sees any reputable info on the transit being at the chicago auto show, please post.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great point...I have already decided that there is a zero percent chance that I will order a transit until I physically drive one, see the actual interior trim, with some of the options that I will be wanting. I specifically went to the huge Chicago Auto Show 12 months ago to check it out. They did have one Transit there, but it was closed up and had it roped off. It was pointless for it to be there, and the Ford reps were clueless and uninformed. Maybe the 2014 auto show in Chicago (in early Feb) this year will actually be helpful. If anybody hears or sees any reputable info on the transit being at the chicago auto show, please post.

Same here.
I had high hopes for the Promaster.
Right up to the point that I actually sat in one.

I can wait.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, the Promaster was terrible... I've never "ordered" a vehicle that I haven't driven, so I'm not really wild about the idea, but don't want to miss another spring/summer camping season.

I'm betting on the fit and finish to be like the C-MAX we got last year, which is pretty good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately, any time frame or expected order time to actual delivery times are just guesses at this point. I research things pretty thoroughly before I buy, and would suggest that the members of this forum probably already know more about the Transit than alot of Ford dealer employees that you will try to seek information from. We are just WAY more interested in this van than your average Ford employee at your average local dealer. Not necessarilly smarter, just more anxious. I'm just glad I can wait it out, as my GMC savana is apparently not ready to die yet. Minus 10 degrees this am, started right up, went on 6 business calls, kept me warm all day, life is ok even if Ford seems to be taking its time.
Couldn't agree more! Seems I always know more than the sales rep about the vehicle I am interested in, at least with the internet I can usually find the answer myself. To be fair , sales reps need to know a little about all of the models they may be asked about, & I am just looking for specifics on 1 model.
I have a similar van as well, 03" Chev Express in great condition, it will run for many more years based on the first 10 I have owned it, I just want something more efficient. I will definitely wait to drive the Transit before any purchase. I did lots of research on the Promaster, then finally sat in it only to discover the dreadful lack of legroom for tall drivers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The news has stories about 1000 people being hired for Transit production at KC plant. Doubt that Ford would hire folks to stand around. Would be very surprised if we do not see Transits before late summer.
The account I read said 175 people will be hired by March 2014 for Transit production. I think the 1000 figure is projected, perhaps at full production, with many of those hired for the 2015 F150 which will also be produced at the Kansas City plant. I would guess it will be August or September before Transits are available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same impression with the Promaster. Was really excited about the front wheel drive but once I drove one I didn't see myself converting one for my dream vehicle. I wait for the Tansit and hope they offer an AWD at some point.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
The numbers being hired at the KC plant include 700+ coming back from layoff from the Escape line that went to Louisville.
The F-150 has been built there for a long time. They are cranking up a third shift for that model, some are going to that line.
So the 1100+ folks going in there include the 700+ laid off, and 300 or so new hires going to both the F-150 and Transit lines.
The Transit line is starting out with 1 shift, so they'll be hiring more as time goes on for a second and possibly 3rd shift if sales dictate, which I suspect they will by mid 2015 or so.

By the way, this plant is right up I-35 from me about 25 miles, and there is real excitement here in town for the new vehicle. They had to compete with 2 other plants to get the Transit, one of which is Ford's showcase truck plant in Louisville.
Louisville got the new trouble prone, 7 recall Escape instead....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Talked to another dealer and his order system shows delivery of first orders by late-April. He's going to talk to a Ford rep this coming Tuesday, so I should have more info then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see how forum members are starting to get various tidbits of potential delivery dates, order time, etc....I would caution forum members again not to set yourself up for disappointment. Alot of us are really anxious and really want to purchase this vehicle, as I personally have been following this van release for about a year and a half. I am already seeing promasters on the streets, averaging 2-3 per week I would guess. I also see anywhere from 4-5 sprinters on the road every single day, twice that if you count fed ex. If Ford does this van right, I would honestly expect that one year from today, I will be seeing more Transits than sprinters and promasters combined. I would not be surprised if you asked 20 different dealers "when can I take delivery of a transit?", you would likely get 20 different "answers". Not really accurate answers, but I think that they are reluctant to admit that they really have no idea at this time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The information coming from Ford corporate seems to consistently indicate "summer 2014" for the Transit. I would like to see it earlier, but can't remember a vehicle being released earlier than a manufacturers projected release. Many vehicles seem to get delayed & their release is pushed back (Promaster diesel), but earlier?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ford's website does now list the Transit as being available "early 2014", perhaps it will be here before summer?
Careful in interpreting "early"....you might WANT that to mean something other than its actual meaning. For example, my kids home from college break last month were getting up "early" in the morning. Their "early" meant 10-11am....I was already working three hours before their "early". Part of the marketing of these new vans is also done in a manner to not only want you to buy their product, but also hold off on buying someone elses. I believe there are alot of folks wanting to pull the trigger on a van purchase, and soon as they are able to see the transit in person, will then be able to get a ford, settle with a promaster, or roll the dice and grab a sprinter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ford's website does now list the Transit as being available "early 2014", perhaps it will be here before summer?

I just looked at the Ford Website and found 3 different places where it says "Available Summer 2014". Where on the website did you see "early 2014"?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ford Vehicle Showroom

This is where I saw the "early 2014". I doubt it means anything as most of Ford's press says "summer 2014".
I will not be buying the first vehicles out of the factory, I am about 1 year away from a new van purchase.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Ford Vehicle Showroom

I will not be buying the first vehicles out of the factory, I am about 1 year away from a new van purchase.
Not buying a "first" vehicle out of the factory is very smart. I'd say first 6 months.
This is from a 34 yr veteran of a car assembly line. Also, look at what happened to the new Escape.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts