Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, first let me get this out of the way: I've owned about 6 E series Ford vans and the most recent was traded in: 2011 E-250 van (for the Transit), that I hated. For he record, I've also owned 3 MB Sprinter vans, starting from a 2007 Dodge 2500 Sprinter diesel high door, to the latest: a 2012 MB cargo crew MB Sprinter that was fantastic.

The 2015 Transit is nice but, not a MB van from my immediate observations. The most poignant dislikes are the storage and foot room, I'm 6'4" tall and the MB beat this Transit van to pieces.

The Transit seems to wander a little bit but, that could be from the strong winds I was driving home in today; it is the low roof and short wheel base and didn't expect wander in wind with this configuration; it was empty and light, that might have something to do with it. The stereo sucks, I have an XL radio only, and it's screen is in the sun and you can't really see it, not a deal changer but, not good placement for the screen. The foot room is no where near the Sprinter, I have size 15 shoes and it's a problem placing my foot down along side the brake. The visibility is similar to a Sprinter, but I'm not liking the mirrors or the windows as they seem to have a magnifying effect.

What I do like is the power of the 3.5 ecoboost and no DEF needed plus, I like that I don't have to search for expensive diesel.

I have no input as of yet for the mileage but, of this I'm sure: it'll beat the full sized V-8 Ford E-series engine! I hope for at least 14 to 16 MPG around town, and the computer is showing the same, no hand calculations yet as it only has 70 miles on it.

The tires are real small and I wish I got the 250 over the 150 but none could be had in my time frame with the built in Ford (Adrian) stock tool shelves.

Don't get me wrong, I like this van, it's just not the MB and the fuel, service and price are the sacrifice.

I'll report back after a few days/weeks of trials.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yesterday was our first day in our 350 extended cargo van. It felt squirrelly for the first couple hundred miles. Feels great now. Really happy with it so far.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks John. Ditto to alarmist about the tire pressure. The owner's manual or something else in the glove box warns about giving the new tires time to adjust. Tight floor space next to emergency brake led to my getting a portable center console which works great. As a former Econoline owner also, I miss being able to get into the back easily. Ch Ch Ch changes I guess . . . Plus I can stow the console elsewhere if needed.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/interior/11250-centre-console-cupholders-auxiliary-switches.html

I have a similar build (see Signature below), and have found 15 MPG about right around town (after 1000 miles), and am aiming for 20 MPG on highway trips, which seems to be do-able with the EB engine and 3.31 rear end:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-mileage-mpgs/6065-mpg-3-5-ecoboost-3-31-rear-end.html

The 3.73 rear end MPG results are similar:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-mileage-mpgs/7825-mpg-3-5-3-73-a.html

Good luck with the new van!

·
Registered
360 Posts
The 2015 Transit is nice but, not a MB van from my immediate observations. The most poignant dislikes are the storage and foot room, I'm 6'4" tall and the MB beat this Transit van to pieces.

Sorry, I had to LOL at this. When I made this observation less than a week ago including pics, I got crapped on. Get ready to be called a "biased" observer, because you owned a bunch of M-Bs previously.

I guess some of Transit fanboys on here can't handle the truth.....

heres the thread : http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/11018-2015-transit-vs-2014-sprinter-interior-dash-observations.html

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Sorry, I had to LOL at this. When I made this observation less than a week ago including pics, I got crapped on. Get ready to be called a "biased" observer, because you owned a bunch of M-Bs previously.

I guess some of Transit fanboys on here can't handle the truth.....

heres the thread : http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/11018-2015-transit-vs-2014-sprinter-interior-dash-observations.html
Sorry. We know the truth since some of us have been there and done that. The Transit is a much better vehicle than my sold 08 Sprinter IMO. If I was given a free new Mercedes Sprinter I would immediately sell it and continue to enjoy the Transit.

Isn't it great that we all have a choice about what vehicle's we like and dislike. You get to drive what you like and I get to drive what I like. Maybe that is why they are all a bit different from each other. Too bad you just spent $40,000 and bought a vehicle that you strongly disliked even before you drove it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
>>> Too bad you just spent $40,000 and bought a vehicle that you strongly disliked even before you drove it.

And that's the point I'm still scratching my head about. Why go into such a major purchase with such strong a'priori dislike. I wouldn't do that purchasing a cheap pair of shoes, let alone a $40K vehicle. Speaking only for myself now, it would not be something I'd crow about. I'd be a little embarrassed letting others know that my research and decision-making abilities are compromised and my wallet is so easily opened.

Must have something to do with gravity; eventually it wins...

·
Registered
360 Posts
its not that Transit is a bad vehicle.

Ford had a golden opportunity to out-Sprint the Sprinter by making it a better machine. Its clear from my observations, and the OP who echoed my words almost to a T that Ford still has some room for improvement. I won't even get into the Airbox fiasco....

Its just that we are open minded, and not blind to the Transits faults like some others on here......

·
Registered
360 Posts
They did!
perhaps compared to your 2008 sprinter, which I find a ridiculous comparison to a 2015 Transit.

The 2014 Sprinter was radically overhauled and redesigned, its an improved and better machine for it.

Perhaps you had a lemon of an 08.

But comparing an 7 year old Sprinter to a 2015 Transit makes about as much sense as me comparing our 2006 E Series to my new Transit.

Guys like myself and the OP are speaking of experiences with late model machines from both makes, and relating our discoveries.

and lucky for people who are shopping for a Transit and find this forum, that we provide indispensible points and advice so that they have even more information to draw their own conclusions from.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
>>> I'd be a little embarrassed letting others know that my research and decision-making abilities are compromised and my wallet is so easily opened.

Which is PRECISELY why you can't trust the glowing reviews people give products after they just spent $40K+ on them. Once that money is spent, it plays on your psyche usually and you try to convince yourself things are better than they are. I NEVER trust the review of a new owner that just talks about how AWESOME EVERYTHING is. I put more weight on reviews from new owners that are either balanced in likes or dislikes. Those people are actually making an effort to ignore the little voice telling them EVERYTHING must be great because they just spent their hard earned money on it.

And of course you have some people that are just negative about EVERYTHING, so it's really best to ignore the "lovers/haters"and pay attention to the reviews that appear to have a legit list of pros and cons on their new purchase and figure out which of those is most important to you.

Oh, yea, and test drive them both...thoroughly. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Which is PRECISELY why you can't trust the glowing reviews people give products after they just spent $40K+ on them. Once that money is spent, it plays on your psyche usually and you try to convince yourself things are better than they are. I NEVER trust the review of a new owner that just talks about how AWESOME EVERYTHING is. I put more weight on reviews from new owners that are either balanced in likes or dislikes. Those people are actually making an effort to ignore the little voice telling them EVERYTHING must be great because they just spent their hard earned money on it.

And of course you have some people that are just negative about EVERYTHING, so it's really best to ignore the "lovers/haters"and pay attention to the reviews that appear to have a legit list of pros and cons on their new purchase and figure out which of those is most important to you.

Oh, yea, and test drive them both...thoroughly. :D
Well said!

I never ever said the Transit was a bad vehicle. In other thread, you will note I pointed out that it has an incredible ride and drive experience.

Ford really should have fired the Transit interior and dash design team. They dropped the ball big time, esp compared to a Sprinter. Lots of pics and reasons pointed out, and there were others mentioned in other thread.

The rest of the Transit (ride quality, drive feel, powertain) is quite good.....

Sent from my Passport

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
perhaps compared to your 2008 sprinter, which I find a ridiculous comparison to a 2015 Transit.

The 2014 Sprinter was radically overhauled and redesigned, its an improved and better machine for it.

Perhaps you had a lemon of an 08.

But comparing an 7 year old Sprinter to a 2015 Transit makes about as much sense as me comparing our 2006 E Series to my new Transit.

Guys like myself and the OP are speaking of experiences with late model machines from both makes, and relating our discoveries.

and lucky for people who are shopping for a Transit and find this forum, that we provide indispensible points and advice so that they have even more information to draw their own conclusions from.....
My 08 Sprinter was the same NCV3 as the latest model Sprinter with the same V6 and 5 speed transmission that is still being sold. The body is the same, the drivetrain is the same, the dash controls are the same etc. The latest Sprinter is the same vehicle. The 4x4 Sprinter is only available with the same engine/gearbox that I had in my 08. The only major change from an 08 to the current Sprinter was the addition of the little 4 cylinder engine the 7 speed automatic. The 4 cylinder engine has less hp and torque than the V6. The 7 speed transmission is apparently a huge improvement over the old NAG1 five speed that I had. Apparently it is actually an automatic that does not require manual shifting by the driver. Do not get me started on comparing the old NAG1 to the Transit 6 speed. The old NAG one was a very sorry excuse for a transmission. Horrid.

It is true that they did a minor facelift a couple of years ago but that only changed the looks of the front and rear.

My 08 was not a lemon. Other than the normal Sprinter LHM and a tow because it stopped running in the first 20,000 miles, I did not have any major problems with it.

My comparison is based on how they drive and how the vehicle interfaces to the operator.

As a Daimler stock owner, I appreciate your rabid love of the Sprinter. I do not own Ford stock. Guess it is not very smart on my part to make my opinions about the two vehicles known.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The body is the same, the drivetrain is the same, the dash controls are the same etc. .
Not totally true (granted the V6 was carried over), but a new drivetrain was introduced which gives it best in class fuel economy the Transit can only dream of.

The body is now entirely made of galvanized steel with additional rust protection added right from the factory. Transit doesnt have this.

The interior and dash were upgraded for 2014. So its not 'the same' as you proclaim.

The paint process of the 2014+ MB is light years better than what Ford currently offers on the new Transits. paintwork: emu feathers and ultrafine coats of paint(see link below)

longer maintenance intervals than Transit

lowered the chassis for easier loading/unloading, better fuel economy, and lower center of gravity

new steering wheel and host of other interior improvements

For any who care to read how MB improved the 2014+ Sprinters from Ortons old outdated 08, have a read at the link below.....

You can read all the details and host of improvements right here........

http://www.conceptcarz.com/z22745/Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter.aspx

·
Registered
159 Posts
To be honest I was in the market for a Sprinter. It looks better, is better built, and gets great fuel economy. But my Transit cost way less, is easier to maintain, and it drives much better than a Sprinter. The whole point of a work vehicle is to optimize trucking costs and the Transit will do well for my business.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Not totally true (granted the V6 was carried over), but a new drivetrain was introduced which gives it best in class fuel economy the Transit can only dream of.

The body is now entirely made of galvanized steel with additional rust protection added right from the factory. Transit doesnt have this.

The interior and dash were upgraded for 2014. So its not 'the same' as you proclaim.

The paint process of the 2014+ MB is light years better than what Ford currently offers on the new Transits. paintwork: emu feathers and ultrafine coats of paint(see link below)

longer maintenance intervals than Transit

lowered the chassis for easier loading/unloading, better fuel economy, and lower center of gravity

new steering wheel and host of other interior improvements
For any who care to read how MB improved the 2014+ Sprinters from Ortons old outdated 08, have a read at the link below.....
You can read all the details and host of improvements right here........
http://www.conceptcarz.com/z22745/Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter.aspx
If I was you, I would immediately sell the Transit. You simply deserve another Sprinter.

That way we could both drive down the road smug with the knowledge that we are driving the best vehicle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I was you, I would immediately sell the Transit. You simply deserve another Sprinter.

That way we could both drive down the road smug with the knowledge that we are driving the best vehicle.
Only 1 of us think they are driving 'the best' vehicle.

The other one of us is showing that both vans each have their pros and cons, and why the Ford isn't totally superior to the Sprinter as the Transit fanboys on this forum would blindly like us to believe.

You guess who is who....

Sent from my Passport

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I was given a free new Mercedes Sprinter I would immediately sell it and continue to enjoy the Transit.
I never ever said the Transit was a bad vehicle. In other thread, you will note I pointed out that it has an incredible ride and drive experience.

The rest of the Transit (ride quality, drive feel, powertain) is quite good.....

Case in point. Who is the biased one here again???

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Only 1 of us think they are driving 'the best' vehicle.

The other one of us is showing that both vans each have their pros and cons, and why the Ford isn't totally superior to the Sprinter as the Transit fanboys on this forum would blindly like us to believe.

You guess who is who....

Sent from my Passport
No guess for me and I suspect no guess for you.

They do each have their pros and cons. Whatever. You are happy and I am happy and that is what counts.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts