Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
and a battery with about 3-4x the capacity.
Or a range extender/aux power ICE.
PEV for local use, unlimited range/house power for road trips/camping.
If Ford did not use the frunk for their stuff that would be the perfect space for some innovative aftermarket solution.
One can dream. Maybe GM, ala a huge Bolt (with a dash of Fords Pro Power set up)

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Or a range extender/aux power ICE.
PEV for local use, unlimited range/house power for road trips/camping.
If Ford did not use the frunk for their stuff that would be the perfect space for some innovative aftermarket solution.
One can dream. Maybe GM, ala a huge Bolt (with a dash of Fords Pro Power set up)
I still think an aftermarket driveshaft "booster" similar to a peddle-assist bike function would be nice. You could pop that into most trucks and vans with no prob, and make it modular so you can have as much battery as you want. Industry standards need to be established so not every company has their proprietary voltage and control systems, or at least an industry standard control unit that translates whatever battery voltage into what the eMotor wants to use. Good transition period device as we slowly move from direct fossil fuel powered stuff to electric powered stuff (indirectly powered by fossil fuels in the form of powerplants making electricity).
Product Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Gas

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Tire Hubcap

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
15 Years ago I saw one of those at the ambulance junkyard, The electric motor was huge with 4/0 cables going everywhere, I am not sure what it had for batteries. I wanted to buy it so I could figure out how it worked but I did not have enough money.
About 40 miles from here we have both a firetruck graveyard and a ambulance graveyard, The ambulance graveyard is on the other side of the highway from the firetrucks. It is fun to go down there and look around sometimes.

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
322 Posts
There’s no reason to speculate on other EV power trains Ford could offer. They already have the 3.5L twin-turbo PowerBoost parallel hybrid, and the 3.0L plug-in parallel hybrid. And the 2.0L Atkinson series-hybrid. And they have larger batter packs for the Transit/Mach-E EV powertrain.

Ford is starting with the low hanging fruit because it has the lowest barrier to entry for Ford’s core fleet buyers. I have no doubt they’ll sell every one schedule for production.

If Ford ever regains surplus Transit capacity again, I’m sure they’ll consider some more desirable consumer variants.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Well you can get this now. 40 MPG city!

Hopefully the redesigned Transit Connect will have it too.
Maverick is just a SUV with a little open place in the back. Offer it with 2 doors and at least a 6' bed and I might be interested. BUT, unibody "pickups" are difficult to engineer, which is why they are 4-doors and have small beds; or other strengthening frame additions (ridgeline). The Chevy might be big enough to sleep in the back (my standard for bed length)

I'm thinking there may be a return to body on frame construction for the return to minitrucks, especially when people want to "offroad" in them. But I may just have wishful thinking.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Well you can get this now. 40 MPG city!
Hopefully the redesigned Transit Connect will have it too.
Kinda' tight for camping for anyone taller than 4.5'

BUT, unibody "pickups" are difficult to engineer
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
+
Pneumatic tool Tool Bicycle part Camera accessory Line
+
Window Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive design Building

IIRC the Rabbit pickup had a 6 ft bed and 1/2 ton capacity

I'm thinking there may be a return to body on frame construction for the return to minitrucks, especially when people want to "offroad" in them. But I may just have wishful thinking.

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
322 Posts
Maverick is just a SUV with a little open place in the back. Offer it with 2 doors and at least a 6' bed and I might be interested. B
Not a chance. Even with the F150, single cabs are only about 5% of total sales. They don’t even offer the Ranger single cab here (but they make it for every other market) because dealer interest was so minimal.

Fleets hardly get single cabs any more because workers still need to keep tools locked up. One theft incident costs far more than the up charge to an extended cab.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Back to topic:

The eTransit will be great for people that need the space but don't leave town very often. The vast majority, like 95%+, will be fleet delivery trucks, but I think it may be a fit for some private citizens. Triple the battery capacity and it would work for a lot more people.

Relevant side note: A lot of little towns grew in the West and Midwest because they were about a day's travel from popular destinations and starting points. Just like the Spanish Missions along the West Coast; a day's walk apart. Because of road and vehicle conditions at the time, these towns were about 200-300 miles apart. You could get Gas/Food/Motel and be on your way in the morning. The current EV technology returns us to that simpler time, with range limitations falling in right at that 200-300 mile mark. Granted, you'll travel 200-300 miles in about 3-4 hours instead of 8-10 like in the early years. An hour of charging gets you back on the road to make that next whistle-stop town, though. Percentage-wise, very few people travel hundreds of miles a day more than once or twice a year, so the manufacturers catering to that tiny populace doesn't make sense, and thus 200-300 mile range is more than enough for 99% of car owners. Kind of like there are very few factory fossil fuel vehicles capable of more than 400-500 miles on a tank/extended tank/dual tanks. So, these little towns for recharging along the interstates already exist, and will have a boom in growth as EVs become more popular and drivers need services or distractions while they wait an hour for their cars/trucks to recharge.

Long term, battery technology will catch up to propulsion technology and 500-2000+ mile range vehicles will be capable, but why would any mfg put that much range into a vehicle when people only drive 10 hours straight (650-750 miles) at the most, and very infrequently? Maybe range extending battery packs would be optional equipment, and base models would have the typical 350-500 range that most fossil fuel cars have.

So, the eTransit in it's current configuration wouldn't work well at all for roadtrips or camping (at least on the Best Coast where things are far apart). Triple the battery capacity and you get 350 mile range, about the miles when I start looking for gas now. Then it might be attractive for priv

Reactions: Dman

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Not a chance. Even with the F150, single cabs are only about 5% of total sales. They don’t even offer the Ranger single cab here (but they make it for every other market) because dealer interest was so minimal.

Fleets hardly get single cabs any more because workers still need to keep tools locked up. One theft incident costs far more than the up charge to an extended cab.
One of the reasons I like a cabover design; you can have the interior space without having to extend the vehicle over 20' just to have a 8' bed. Cab/chassis Transit with a +cab to have some room behind the front seats and a 8-10' utility bed would be great for working. But, that doesn't "look like a pickup" so the target demographic wouldn't like it. Remember when Transits first came to Merikuh and all the guys saying "nope, it's not like an econoline, never gonna get one!"? Change is hard for the cognitively challenged.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Looking to get one. Not paying sticker though. Might go used. Ford is insane wanting $45k for 100 something range. My little Bolt I got brand new for $24k does 260 mile range and some people get more then that. And I get a brand new battery pack for it here soon with a new warranty.
Will be interesting in Jan when GM says what they are going to do electric wise with their truck and van.

cybertruck/hummer/rivian are all "lifestyle" vehicles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts