Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
from what I understand, their broke in from the factory
Mine had 6 miles on it. While it's true that you don't need to follow a break in procedure like older cars, there is still a time period when valves and seals haven't seated or sealed properly. Gas mileage will still improve slightly over when it's brand new.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So this brings up a question about the mileage on a PFDi motor vs ecoboost. I plan on starting a thread soon about the pros and cons of each motor but does anyone have a sense of the MPG difference, if any, between these two?

·
Registered
34 Posts
So this brings up a question about the mileage on a PFDi motor vs ecoboost. I plan on starting a thread soon about the pros and cons of each motor but does anyone have a sense of the MPG difference, if any, between these two?
I picked up our 2020 AWD 3.5 PFDI on Monday and observed 15-16 mpg on the 450 mile trip home. Upper speeds were in the 65-70 mph range.

edit: moved question to its own thread.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I picked up our 2020 AWD 3.5 PFDI on Monday and observed 15-16 mpg on the 450 mile trip home. Upper speeds were in the 65-70 mph range.

edit: moved question to its own thread.
I was getting similar MPG on my trip home in a HR AWD Eco-Boost going 75-80. I don't think that's bad at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really curious about PFDi vs Eco Boost consumption. The PFDi should have improved consumption. Kind of confusing because the term Eco Boost would suggest the opposite but it is a much more powerful engine so expect higher consumption than PFDi. Or am I not understanding this right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
IMHO, gas mileage is all about speed and air pressure. We have put 11,000 miles on our MR Transit 250 EcoBoost since new. Its a Quigley with 3.73 gears and loaded up with a roof rack and knobbly tires. We find that gas mileage is very sensitive to both. With 50 F and 70 R and keeping our speed below 70 - we get 15-18 MPG. Ours becomes a parachute above 68 MPH (actual) with gas mileage dropping to >10MPG at 80 MPH. Similarly, I aired down the tires to 40 F, 50 R for some off-road trails and forgot to air up again. We got 9.8 mpg at 70MPH before I realized my error lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious what you're doing for insurance - I'm about to order virtually the same van, and so far the big companies are telling me it's commercial policy only, regardless of use, and cost is around $1k/yr.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
$800 a year with State Farm
I'm curious what you're doing for insurance - I'm about to order virtually the same van, and so far the big companies are telling me it's commercial policy only, regardless of use, and cost is around $1k/yr.

·
Registered
325 Posts
$800 a year with State Farm
Does that cover the stuff added for the conversion?

I got the factory swivels, and I think these non-powered cloth seats are the only ones you can get with he swivels on the Cargo model.
Although swivel seats weren't available in 2017, I got powered, heated cloth seats and then recovered them to match the six Captains chairs.

Don't be surprised if the conversion stuff weight negates any break-in mpg improvement and perceived power reduction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I just asked today for a State farm quote and I'm already hearing how it's a commercial vehicle. Hopefully I can get them past that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the factory swivels, and I think these non-powered cloth seats are the only ones you can get with he swivels on the Cargo model.
Where did you find your swivels? Looking for a model that works with the 2020 driver seat, but im told the E brake handle gets in the way

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Where did you find your swivels? Looking for a model that works with the 2020 driver seat, but im told the E brake handle gets in the way

I ordered them from the Factory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Does that cover the stuff added for the conversion?

Although swivel seats weren't available in 2017, I got powered, heated cloth seats and then recovered them to match the six Captains chairs.

Don't be surprised if the conversion stuff weight negates any break-in mpg improvement and perceived power reduction.
Conversion insurance cost will be around $1400. Not bad if you ask me. I know that the MPG isn't going to increase. I have no delusions about it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts