Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020-01-23_12-19-29 by
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igDAw7]IMG_20200118_085239
by
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igDxan]IMG_20200114_145811
by
Picked up our 2020 Highroof 350 extended AWD 3.5 Ecoboost last week and was going to pay $800 to have it driven down to our converter in Denver. The spouse unit and I found Frontier tickets for the return trip for $17 each, so the road trip from Chicago to Denver was on.

This trip would allow us to test the engine power and the AWD system since we would get a snowstorm while in I80 in Iowa and Nebraska.

Power: Geez. This thing is HUGE, but I was thoroughy surprised at the acceleration and pulling speed from 60-80 mph. It feels like a 6-7 second sprint to 60 mph. Hit 85 mph with much more to go. I didn't feel comfortable going faster than that as the I80 crosswind was terrifying.

AWD - I couldn't believe what a difference this makes. We whisked through 3" of heavy slush in a gas station like it was NOTHING. Also, I80 was sovered in snow, and we had no issues with traction. We literally saw 20 or so jackknifed semis and about 50 cars that had slid into the ditch or median. It was crazy. We weren't going over 45mph when it was blizzard conditions, but we weren't scare in the slightest.

Gas mileage. Van was empty for the most part, but the trip computer registered 14 mph. Not a big deal since gas is only $2/gallon and we opted for the 31 gallon tank.

Also, the adaptive cruise and lane control made the drive MUCH more comfortable. We also used Waze on android auto to alert us to road hazards. The driver was comfortable to say the least.

Let me know if you guys have anymore specific questions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the review. Sounds like the AWD was a good investment. Of course, they announced AWD shortly after I purchased my new Transit. :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the review. Sounds like the AWD was a good investment. Of course, they announced AWD shortly after I purchased my new Transit. :cool:
Yeah, I'm super happy we held off one model year for the AWD...AND the other driving enhancements. The lane keep and adaptable cruise-control were immensely helpful on the long trip. The 2020 also has measures to counteract cross-winds and gusts. There was literally 50 mph gusts that were moving the truck and I could feel the car using the brakes and steering to auto correct it.

Also, in slippery mode, the steering output was reduced to prevent slides and skids. It's insane how much the technology helped make it drive just like a midsize sedan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is SUPER smooth. Couldn't detect any transmission. I did have it in "Slippery mode," though.
Thanks I saw some YouTube vid on the AWD system on a gravel road and the driver said it wasn’t graceful. Maybe the slippery setting changes that? Or wonder if it’s a surface thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I see map packets on the seat backs. Which seats are these? I wonder if all seats have them. Interested because I was thinking I would have to order some sort of organizer for back there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see map packets on the seat backs. Which seats are these? I wonder if all seats have them. Interested because I was thinking I would have to order some sort of organizer for back there.
I got the factory swivels, and I think these non-powered cloth seats are the only ones you can get with he swivels on the Cargo model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
surprised your MPG with the 10 speed tranny is so low
Yeah, so were we. I know MPG typically improves over time, but we were using the economy driving mode and were almost completely empty. Disclaimer, we were going about 75-80 mph.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts