Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 259 medium roof
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After some serious decision paralysis, we got the bunk windows in.
With all of the opposing opinions and suggestions here and elsewhere, I just stopped for a few days.
I then called a van conversion company here in Indiana and they highly suggested putting in a spacer.
And we did that and we are fine - it was a 1/8" piece of plywood cut out of a rectangle section.
We used the original screws and this time really made sure that all of the pilot holes really went into the channel.
The clamp ring holes can fool you - you have to carefully check. And I also put clear silicone around the window outside.
They look great and do not leak. I am quite sure someone will find fault with our solution, but it works for us and we own it. : )

Here is that episode in my van build series.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And we like how it looks. Next will be the insulating the floor, wood supports, subfloor and the vinyl flooring. Much less intimidating work now. : )

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ain't it great when you get something so visible done?

We had our moments of decision paralysis too. Very glad our body shop did windows while Thundering Turtle was being repaired. Not sure we'd ever gotten the courage to cut giant holes in the van ourselves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, indeed! I already have the subfloor cut out, so I can start on the floor complete floor install. Next will be the pre-wiring, ceiling and walls. We are looking forward to building the cabinets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for sharing your window installation experience. My wife and I ran into similar installation issues with our RecPro windows- we also needed to fabricate a wooden frame unexpectedly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts