Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack Cooper Transport delivered 2 Transits today and one of them happened to be a 'E' Transit. It was ordered for a Commercial customer so I will try and get a few pictures before it gets delivered to the customer. Wanted to have it long enough to have a race challenge against a gas model to see which one was the fastest in a straight line.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,309 Posts
Battery range doubles about every nine years, assuming the widely reported eight percent annual improvement.

With all the money being thrown at the subject, it may be even faster.

I am guessing 300 mile range will be the magic number for most people.

More better of course.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Still waiting for that gas vs. electric drag race :ROFLMAO:
GM announced EV Corvette today; as an optional drivetrain. That won't even be CLOSE to the gas engine Corvette. I doubt there will be many buyers for the ICE version once the EV version is available. But, they are also going to offer a Hybrid drivetrain, so that may see some interest for the people that drive their Corvette more than 300 miles at a time.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Battery range doubles about every nine years, assuming the widely reported eight percent annual improvement.

With all the money being thrown at the subject, it may be even faster.

I am guessing 300 mile range will be the magic number for most people.

More better of course.
Kind of a Moore's Law for batteries. Although other technology has advanced in the last 100+ years, batteries are essentially the same. The electric cars built around 1900 could go about 30mph for 30 miles, and took 12hrs to charge. In 2000, GEM and other electric neighborhood vehicles could go about 30mph for 30 miles, and took 12hrs to charge. Because there's billion$ to be made for making a better mousetrap, battery tech has recently started to get better. Internal combustion, on the other hand, has about reached peak efficiency. There is more efficiency (power or distance) to be gained via new tire designs now than for improved combustion, even theoretical. Just can't squeeze any more energy out of a gallon of gas. Note: that mythical 500mpg carburetor "patent bought by the big oil companies" is just that, a myth.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
More pictures so you can see this 'E' Transit. So when will you be ready for one like this one?
Realistically — never. A +/- 100-mile range may work for parcel delivery in large cities, but for a private van I will bet there will be almost no demand.

The GM electric van just set record of over 250 miles which is far more useable, though without test data I remain a bit skeptical of how that was achieved. For electric vans the range at constant 30 MPH and 70 MPH are night and day. Also, how large was battery and how much payload did it leave for cargo?

Edit: As expected, average speed was fairly low in order to extend range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am wondering what Air Conditioning system that Ford used in this Van. It has to be DC driven isn't it ? Could it be possible to order its components from Ford to put on the normal Petrol Van (with some mod/adaptation) 🙂

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While arrivals of the 2022 Transits seem to come and go as customers come to get their vans, the 'E' Transit has been accumulating on the lot and we not have 3 available. We have had some interest in them but the deciding factor has been the range of the vehicle as well as the initial price being close to $9000 more than the gas version and the extra equipment that looks to be needed to charge it in a satisfactory rate of time.

Most of the uses for the 'E' Transit will be local delivery as these are only available as cargo vans...NO CrewVans or passenger vans are currently a part of the build out. Whether it expands to these body styles has not been discussed within the Ford group as far as I have seen. Locally the new Kansas city Airport is going to electric vehicles around the new facility but nothing talked about other than the parking shuttle buses at this point. Will some of the local hotels be willing to incorporate a 'E' Transit passenger van for their trips to the airport and back? We will keep an eye on that situation!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
While arrivals of the 2022 Transits seem to come and go as customers come to get their vans, the 'E' Transit has been accumulating on the lot and we not have 3 available.
It’s only May and this weekend we are being asked to conserve electricity in Texas to prevent blackouts during afternoon peak air conditioning loads. This shouldn’t matter much for electric car charging peak loads because it can be done at night, but will it be? And even then, solar component of EV charging at night will be negated. At least in Texas we have some wind power at night.

Regardless of what should be theoretically possible, the next time there is a peak-load-induced blackout (whether rolling or entire grid), optics on EV and grid will change drastically in my opinion; whether deserved or not.

Grid upgrades should have been completed prior to or concurrently with EV sales, but I’m not sure the grid is keeping up with normal non-EV demand.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Begs the question, has Bugatti ownership ever been practical? :)

Or are they statements more than vehicles?
Assuming you are referring to real Bugatti's and not the modern in name only Italian "supercar" abomination (now owned by VW), you can pick up Pur Sang for a paltry $250K. Compared to $5 million for an original type 35, that's probably considered practical for a certain clientele ... like the folks that actually own originals but want to have something to drive. I suppose the lack of a roof does preclude use as a daily driver. Personally, I'd go with their Alfa 8C, the Bugatti is just too **** common.

Oh, were we talking about delivery vans ... sorry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts