Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a used 2015 Ford Transit cargo van with 150K miles on it. It has a 3.2L i-5 Powerstroke diesel engine, with good documentation on all prior maintenance work. Going to have it fully inspected before purchasing, but curious if anyone has feedback on the engine itself in terms of quality/longevity.

Wondering if I should be worried about the 150K miles or if the engine has a lot of life left. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You won’t find too many advocates of the diesel around here. It’s seen as a problematic engine if only for the emission controls. I hope someone comes along with some real knowledge or experience for you instead of the nothing burger of an uninformed opinion I’m offering but, believe me, it’s the general feeling on the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won’t find too many advocates of the diesel around here. It’s seen as a problematic engine if only for the emission controls. I hope someone comes along with some real knowledge or experience for you instead of the nothing burger of an uninformed opinion I’m offering but, believe me, it’s the general feeling on the forum.
Thanks for the reply! Follow up question -- is the sentiment anti-diesel because people feel it's a bad engine, or is it more that they believe gas is better? I suppose that's semantics. I guess I might prefer gas, as well, but I'm wondering if it's an absolute no go for this diesel engine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not gas vs diesel bias.

I think folks here really, really want to like the engine...but hear too many horror stories.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a diesel, 2018. I couldn't be happier with it. No problems at all. Great power. I have to refill the def roughly every 7K miles. Other than that, no extra maintenance. Oil changes are more expensive. 350 HD, High Roof and a lot of gear built in. I'll get about 19 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. If I get much above 70 mph, 16 to 17 mpg. No doubt in my mind I made the right choice for me. I think you'll find most folks prefer the engine they chose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We bought a high-mileage, DIY-converted diesel last year. 136k miles, 2016, MR, 148 WB.

We stored it for winter with a CEL and we will have to address a leaking injector and failing glow plug.

I cannot vouch for its reliability just yet, as whatever has failed us so far has clearly been age-related issues : rusted oil pan, rusted timing chain cover, shot accessory pulley tensioner, and coolant hoses.

On the road though, it is a very smooth, torquey, although not powerful engine. Going up long steep grades (Ontario’s wine country is pretty brutal in that respect), you need not be shy to floor it and get it down to 4th gear). Around town, it is great to drive.

Fully loaded, with the added weight of the conversion, expect around 25 mpg.

·
Registered
2015 350 HD EL 3.2L HR Diesel Wagon
189 Posts
We bought a high-mileage, DIY-converted diesel last year. 136k miles, 2016, MR, 148 WB.

We stored it for winter with a CEL and we will have to address a leaking injector and failing glow plug.

I cannot vouch for its reliability just yet, as whatever has failed us so far has clearly been age-related issues : rusted oil pan, rusted timing chain cover, shot accessory pulley tensioner, and coolant hoses.

On the road though, it is a very smooth, torquey, although not powerful engine. Going up long steep grades (Ontario’s wine country is pretty brutal in that respect), you need not be shy to floor it and get it down to 4th gear). Around town, it is great to drive.

Fully loaded, with the added weight of the conversion, expect around 25 mpg.
I had the CEL light come on for the same thing, cleared the code 5K miles ago and no problems. This seems to be a common money making glitch for Ford its part of the CEL syndorme.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a used 2016 Diesel with 100k miles and converted it. Love the engine performance, but yeah the additional EPA stuff is worrisome - EGR, DPF, DEF. I use additional fuel additives to help keep engine clean and reduce DPF regen, also help with fuel efficiency.

A suggestion when you check it out: put in a good OBD2 reader and install ForScan app on your phone. May have a little bit of a learning curve, but you will need this knowledge anyway if you're buying the car. Look up the parameter "average distance between DPF regens" and see what it says. With such high mileage you want to check this to see whether the DPF has been clogged up and needs service or replacement, which can be involved.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the CEL light come on for the same thing, cleared the code 5K miles ago and no problems. This seems to be a common money making glitch for Ford its part of the CEL syndorme.
In our case, it's been cleared but reappeared shortly thereafter, so I guess there is indeed something wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts