Ford Transit USA Forum banner

"Feature not enabled" on 2022 base radio

985 8
I see this message when I push the voice button on the steering wheel. What needs to be turned on on the phone? (Galaxy S21 5g)
Plant Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport

When I push that voice button, the 'ok Google' thing starts on the phone, but it's microphone is at 100% (the blue bar at the bottom) and can't hear a thing, even when I'm parked and the radio is turned off.

Mobile phone Product Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says "some features not supported by the phone aren't available" or something like that, which is why I came here and asked.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I think I have somewhat of an answer to this.

A few weeks ago, my (employer-owned) phone had to be wiped. Same physical phone (Galaxy s21 5g). Once everything was reinstalled and things settled down, I thought I'd try that voice command button again. As before, the phone would 'wake up' and start listening, but this time I realized you do not say the phone's wake phrase ("Ok Google", "Hey Siri", etc). Just say what you want to do, such as "Call <pause> name in contact list" and it will do that.

Now, when I tried this earlier I may have been signed in to my Google account. After the phone was wiped, signing in to the Google account was disabled. (Our phones are micro-managed by the corporate IT dep't. They're locked-down every way possible.) But, I found I could use Samsung's Bixby and the on-board digital corporate overlord would not object. I doubt that made any difference about working with the radio before and after being wiped though.

I also discovered, after the phone was wiped, that I could enable Samsung's "Smart Lock" feature, which allows the phone to stay unlocked for a few hours any time it's inside a geofenced area (such as my house), or connected to a trusted Bluetooth device.... hey, that would be my van! (This "Smart Lock" feature had been disabled in previous phones. Obviously the IT dep't overlooked it this time, but I'm not saying anything.) Did that make the difference? I don't know, maybe.

In the week or so since I figured all this out, I have noticed that pushing the voice command button on the steering wheel does not always wake the phone if it is locked, which totally defeats the purpose of it. And, that error message still sometimes shows up on the radio, even after it successfully voice-dialed a contact in my phone.

I still don't know if it is using the van's microphone or the phone's.

· Registered
2022 T250 AWD Eco Boost 148 EXT High Top
33 Posts
You need to push AND HOLD the button until the assistant appears on the phone. If you just push and release you will get the error.
You will not get the voice prompt over the speakers only an indication on the phone screen.
I have my Pixel 6 Pro in a Ram Mount above the radio screen so I can see what is going on...

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That doesn't work; I still get the error. It appears the phone must be unlocked before doing the voice dial thing which completely defeats the purpose of voice commands.

· Registered
33 Posts
That doesn't work; I still get the error. It appears the phone must be unlocked before doing the voice dial thing which completely defeats the purpose of voice commands.
Perhaps you have a code/pattern or fingerprint sensor enabled on the phone?
I am not top secret nor do I worry my wife/girlfriend will be able to find out who I am talking to so I do not have codes or fingerprint sensor enabled.

· Registered
33 Posts
code/fingerprint, yes, no pattern. Required by company IT dep't.
I don't know what the parameters are for your phone going into "Lock Down" but perhaps plugging the phone into the USB port will keep it awake/unlocked?
If that doesn't work perhaps just do fingerprint unlock? I have my phone in a Ram "Quickgrip" above the radio and I can tap/long press the unlock button on the screen without looking at the phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts