Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which features do you love about your transit? I'll be ordering soon and I want to make sure I don't miss anything good! We are all set on roof height, seating capacity, and side door, so anything except those ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got mine a week ago and put 1500 miles on it driving it home. So far my most surprising favorite feature is the rain sensing wipers. Set it and forget it. I turned it on when I left the dealer in dry weather; three hours later I drove into a storm and the wiper speed adjusted to match the rate of rainfall. When the storm passed, it would still automatically come on to clear the window after a passing vehicle threw water on them. And then ultimately turned back to full off. Such a simple thing, but why haven’t I had this before!?

Another thing that surprised me was how intuitive Ford’s implementation of the lane keeping feature is. Rather than being an annoying chime, the feedback you get when you start to leave the lane is haptic through the steering wheel. Kind of feels like you’re hitting a rumble strip. The amount of feedback that you get is configurable in the menus. Much less annoying than the same feature on my Subaru Outback (which I generally turn off because of that) and very intuitive. You can configure the feature to either alert, alert and control, or control only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Limited slip differential

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
2020 AWD 350HD DRW, EXT High Roof
44 Posts
Window in the passenger sliding door for visibility when pulling out.

Adaptive cruise control, I can’t believe how nice this makes long trips.

4.1 LSD, for a 9,000lb van it has enough get up and go to mean we are not feeling like we are holding up traffic.

DRW, as we are on the heavy side it does make a great improvement on traction, on ice and in sand.

my biggest regr is not getting the large display, the rear view camera is very useful but tough to see on the small screen.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Auto high beam lights. I'm sure in more urban areas they are of minimal value. But I like them. Lane keeping and rain sensing wipers are nice too.

D-pillar grab bars. Some folks don't have room for them in their configuration. We find them very useful.

Passenger seat arm rest. Wish we had it but the cost to retrofit is crazy.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,493 Posts
Pulled up the purchase list to check - and focused on non-standard gear:

Favorites:
  • Limited slip diff
  • Power sliding door
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Heated seats
  • Full-swing rear doors (now that it's an optional thing)
  • Dual alternators (awesome house battery charging)
  • EB engine. Love that thing.
  • Keyless entry keypad (every car should have these)
  • Extended fuel tank

Might be good - but no basis for comparison:
  • Went out of our way to get single-rear-wheel, thinking good for snow. No idea if it's actually better; but we're rock-solid on snow and ice. And we're 9,000 pounds.
  • Similar with AWD: can't be sure if the RWD would be any less (RWD Sprinter was great); but it's been super confidence-inspiring on snow and dirt so far. But the HD front axle might be worth it alone.
  • Dual batteries - just a little more assurance

Unsure:
  • Power running board - I suspect we'll rip that off the van eventually; but it does make for a very civilized entry
  • "Privacy glass" - if it didn't have that, I'd have tinted the windows day one - it's still not very dark, really.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
The less features the better, It makes the vehicle easier to fix and at a lower cost once the warranty expires.
When I was a kid my parents got a new car every two years and they did not even order air conditioning. People used to want very affordable cars, Options were not something most people chose.
I got the Ecoboost, That was options enough for me.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
My no option Transit, A new windshield installed is around $200 dollars. On a up optioned Transit it is closer to $1,000 dollars. I saw the pricing for all nine of the Transit windshields when I replaced mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My favorite option in my 2019 350 had is the dual sliding doors, from what I understand is no longer an option. Wasn’t sure when I ordered it but I find I rarely use the r h slider.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Adaptive cruise.
Extended fuel tank.
Dual alternators/dual battery. If you get the ambulance pkg you get these plus no stop/start system.
Electric folding mirrors only available with BLIS.
D rings. Very useful and I plan on altering my eventual floor to still be able to use them.
You said you have decided on the door. I hope it’s the power door. Very quiet, convenient, and with two batteries I have used it multiple times every day in my driveway for over a week and the van started right up no problem. It’s my second favorite feature after adaptive cruise.
If they had offered the better headlights on a 2021 cargo I would have gotten them.
Throwing money at these options didn’t bother me at all. I got more than I listed but these are my favorites off the top of my head. Oh, and the color, Abyss. I can drive this thing anywhere and it doesn’t get eyeballed because EVERYONE thinks it’s a delivery van.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adaptive cruise.
Extended fuel tank.
Dual alternators/dual battery. If you get the ambulance pkg you get these plus no stop/start system.
Electric folding mirrors only available with BLIS.
D rings. Very useful and I plan on altering my eventual floor to still be able to use them.
You said you have decided on the door. I hope it’s the power door. Very quiet, convenient, and with two batteries I have used it multiple times every day in my driveway for over a week and the van started right up no problem. It’s my second favorite feature after adaptive cruise.
If they had offered the better headlights on a 2021 cargo I would have gotten them.
Throwing money at these options didn’t bother me at all. I got more than I listed but these are my favorites off the top of my head. Oh, and the color, Abyss. I can drive this thing anywhere and it doesn’t get eyeballed because EVERYONE thinks it’s a delivery van.
Actually not the power door. We want a low roof so the power door is out. I just want a plain old sliding door anyway. I thought I wanted the power door when it first came out but then I thought about standing in the van in the freezing cold, waiting for the door to close when I could just close it myself even quicker :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
The less features the better, It makes the vehicle easier to fix and at a lower cost once the warranty expires.
When I was a kid my parents got a new car every two years and they did not even order air conditioning. People used to want very affordable cars, Options were not something most people chose.
I got the Ecoboost, That was options enough for me.
A lot of the options are just electronic gadgetry. It's always been a sore spot for me when they offer "upgraded" sound systems for 2-10x the price of aftermarket stuff that's actually much better. Same for the MySynk junk.

Reactions: Michael Ophus

·
Registered
476 Posts
For me it was the Ecoboost, dual batteries, heated mirrors and the 10 way power driver's seat.

Reactions: Milo’s Person

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
574 Posts
Ours doesn't work anymore. I think it worked once when it was brand new but nothing since. Glad to hear someone describe what I'm supposed to be looking for - I'll have to play around with it.

Alert is a beep and control is the vibration?

Another thing that surprised me was how intuitive Ford’s implementation of the lane keeping feature is. Rather than being an annoying chime, the feedback you get when you start to leave the lane is haptic through the steering wheel. Kind of feels like you’re hitting a rumble strip. The amount of feedback that you get is configurable in the menus. Much less annoying than the same feature on my Subaru Outback (which I generally turn off because of that) and very intuitive. You can configure the feature to either alert, alert and control, or control only.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
Some things can easily be added later, either from Ford or aftermarket (running boards). Other things can be added later with some effort and expense (I just added limited slip), and other things have to come from the factory (EcoBoost engine).Think about that for any features you may be on the fence about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alert is a beep and control is the vibration?
On mine (2021) the alert is the vibration (no beep) and the control actually affects the steering to keep you in the lane. Which mode you’re in is configured in the driver’s assist menu. There is an on/off button in the end of the turn signal control stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts