Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FarOutVan: 148" HR EL campervan conversion for mountain-biking and backcountry skiing

IT’S OURS.
Today, we finally took possession of the van.

LET’S GET THIS DONE!
We took advantage of the 2016 rainy winter to plan everything well in advance. We documented our “long term” conversion planning here. That’s our first steps into the camper-van conversion world: components selection, decisions justification, reading notes and so on.

To help us with the van layout, we produced a 3D CAD model that can be visualized and manipulated here.

According to our Cost and Labor analysis, we need 325 man-hours to get done with the conversion. That’s probably optimistic, so let’s say 400 man-hours (still optimistic but what the heck) over 6 months (before winter) that gives us 67 hours per month. With work and mountain biking, it’s unlikely that we can spend that much time on the van… so the project might extend up to early 2017.

There is a logical sequence for the conversion: for example the awning must be installed before the insulation (for access); electrical wires after the insulation; and so on. We set up our Work and Material planning page to ensure we do everything in the right order and also to make sure we have all the products in hand when it’s time to do a specific task.

WE HAVE A PLAN, WE HAVE A VAN: IT’S TIME TO BUILD!
The build will be documented in our Build Journal.

This is our first conversion and we are not very skilled with tools;
however we're motivated and enthusiastic to learn!! Let's see how it goes...

CHEERS!
And thanks to all on this forum; hopefully we can give back to other members as well :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your van looks great! We have very similar vans for the same purpose. Maybe I'll bump into you at Kingdom Trails... I was there last weekend for my van's maiden voyage.

I see you weren't wasting any time getting some bigger tires! What size did you go with?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yo, Nomad,
Where do you park at kingdom trails?
Might be up there soon.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Look forward to following your build!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see you weren't wasting any time getting some bigger tires! What size did you go with?
We went with BFG KO2 225/75/R16 (29.2" diameter). I think 245/75/R16 (30.4" diameter) might have fit, but we wanted enough clearance for chains.
We played a bit in wet grass and the tires, along with the limited slip seems to work well :)

i smell a potential van/mtb meet up in the future...
YES! We ride 3-4 times a week at our local trails (north of Montreal) and we're weekend warriors... we travel quite a lot for riding. We were in Waterbury/Stowe (great trails & beer we LOVE it) last week, we're going to Kingdom Trails soon for sure. There is a lot of sweet spots in Quebec too; add "Vallée Bras-du-Nord" to your to-do list! The scenery and trails are incredible: http://www.mtbvt.com/archives/21384 . Don't miss the "Nelson" trail.
From there you can also hit "Sentiers du Moulin" http://www.sentiersdumoulin.com/activiteVeloMontagne.php and then visit Quebec city.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We went with BFG KO2 225/75/R16 (29.2" diameter). I think 245/75/R16 (30.4" diameter) might have fit, but we wanted enough clearance for chains.
We played a bit in wet grass and the tires, along with the limited slip seems to work well :)

YES! We ride 3-4 times a week at our local trails (north of Montreal) and we're weekend warriors... we travel quite a lot for riding. We were in Waterbury/Stowe (great trails & beer we LOVE it) last week, we're going to Kingdom Trails soon for sure. There is a lot of sweet spots in Quebec too; add "Vallée Bras-du-Nord" to your to-do list! The scenery and trails are incredible: http://www.mtbvt.com/archives/21384 . Don't miss the "Nelson" trail.
From there you can also hit "Sentiers du Moulin" http://www.sentiersdumoulin.com/activiteVeloMontagne.php and then visit Quebec city.

I ride sentier du moulin et vallée bras du nord some times and they are great. I prefer Vallée bras du nord. We have a lot of trails here near of Quebec city. St-Emile, Mont Myriam Bédard, Lorette Ville, Lac beauport, are all great trails.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fan Installed!

The conversion has started!

This is the true story of how we installed the Maxxair Maxxfan deluxe 6200K on our Ford Transit Campervan:

http://faroutride.com/fan-installation/

FIRST STEP:

LAST STEP:

NOTE:

Because

1- documenting the whole process takes much more time than anticipated;
2- transferring the pictures on this forum would take even more time;
3- time = actual work on our van conversion

I decided not to duplicate the content here... please use the link above. Thanks for your comprehension!

Cheers!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Great fan install post!

You two seem like a lot of fun. Enjoy the build, it's almost as much fun as using the van. I look forward to future updates.

My thread has not been updated in a while, I agree the process of documenting and posting can eat up a lot of time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice work. Looking forward to your future post.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Solar Panels installed!

The conversion continues...

We attached our 2x 160W solar panels with 3M VHB tape; no holes except for the electrical cables.

Complete write-up and pictures here:
http://faroutride.com/solar-panels-installation/

THERE ARE OTHERS ENERGY SOURCES THAN THE SUN...

AND OF COURSE, THE FINAL STEP...

CHEERS!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fan air intake

A few notes on the Fan Installation.

As suggested by EddieZ here, we've been using the existing 4 cutouts in the D Pillar at the rear of the van for air intake.

So far, we just removed the plastic covers.

Results: It is working, but we feel that the air intake is somewhat insufficient. Starting at level 3 or 4 (out of 10) the fan starts to "whistle" and kinda struggle to get some air. Do you get the same impressions with your setup?

So we might have to add a cutout at some point.

Cutouts with plastic covers on:

plastic covers off:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Swivel seat installation

We bought 2 DiscountVanTruck.com swivel seat plates with the intention on installing them on both driver & passenger side. To install on the driver side, you have to perform the handbrake mod as described here.

A few notes:
1- With the dual AGM batteries, the big bolt in the center of the swivel will interfere with the battery. No room for swivel here. Would it work with the SwivelRus?

2- The holes pattern did not match with the van base, so we had to elongate 2 holes.

Complete story & installation notes here:
http://faroutride.com/swivel-seat-installation/

Cheers!

·
Registered
174 Posts
A few notes on the Fan Installation.

As suggested by EddieZ here, we've been using the existing 4 cutouts in the D Pillar at the rear of the van for air intake.

So far, we just removed the plastic covers.
Removing these rear frame seals will likely result in substantial road dust intake when traveling on gravel/dirt roads. Seems that this would be compounded if you are driving dirt and have the MaxxFan on and pulling air in.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Removing these rear frame seals will likely result in substantial road dust intake when traveling on gravel/dirt roads. Seems that this would be compounded if you are driving dirt and have the MaxxFan on and pulling air in.
We did some dirt road, it's actuallly not so bad when driving; it seems the low pressure zone that attract the dust is not under the van but behind the door.
We parked for the night just beside that dirt road, then we had a lot of dirt inside because of other cars passing by!

We're eventually gonna add some dust filter...

1 - 20 of 417 Posts