Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the passenger version have LATCH connections?

Heavily considering this as the family truckster. I hope Ford didn't forget the family man.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Flex 2 Transit eh, I have to imagine you guys have outgrown the flex in numbers of seats, otherwise why the Big Transit over the TC Wagon?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Flex 2 Transit eh, I have to imagine you guys have outgrown the flex in numbers of seats, otherwise why the Big Transit over the TC Wagon?

When we travel, we take our three dogs. With two kids, three dogs, all of our gear and hopefully more kids on the way... the space fills up quickly. The TC Wagon offers nothing the Flex does not for us. Our Flex is a finely appointed apartment compared to the TCW.

As it stands, the Flex is perfect for us. It will become the daily driver. The Wagon will hopefully fulfill our family trip needs.

I also like to have room to include others. So once we get where we are going, say with out of state family, we can all pile up in the same vehicle and go out. That is part of the time together.

Even with the Flex having seating for 6, the dogs and gear consume the stowed third row. By the time more kids join the fun, the Flex will not accommodate our travel. Then the car seats and strollers mke way for sports equipment and friends.

I have high hopes for the Ford Transit Wagon XLT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
85 Posts
When we travel, we take our three dogs. With two kids, three dogs, all of our gear and hopefully more kids on the way... the space fills up quickly. The TC Wagon offers nothing the Flex does not for us. Our Flex is a finely appointed apartment compared to the TCW.

Even with the Flex having seating for 6, the dogs and gear consume the stowed third row. By the time more kids join the fun, the Flex will not accommodate our travel. Then the car seats and strollers mke way for sports equipment and friends.

I have high hopes for the Ford Transit Wagon XLT.
This.

I have three boys and we fill a minivan to the brim and that's before you add pets or in-laws. We make a few big trips every year... one or two to Florida to see my parents (1500 miles), and one out west to our vacation spot in Idaho (5000 miles). When you spend a lot of time in a vehicle with family, you need ALL the room you can get.

I'm hoping the Transit will increase the trip comfort and allow us to do some family camping along the way.

Plus, the suburban/expedition crowd all have a fatal flaw IMO. Doors. If you've ever tried to get kids in and out of vehicle in a parking lot... rear swinging doors are a Machiavellian instrument. Give me a slider.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we both understand each other well. What vehicle do you use currently?

My wife likes the Suburban or Expedition behemoths. And in a way, I do too.

But when you look at what you are getting for the money, for about $40K I can get what I need out of a T-150 Wagon XLT. The Expedition STARTS at about $42K. The used Suburban is about $40K!

It seems the Transit will max out space in a nice price range.
This.

I have three boys and we fill a minivan to the brim and that's before you add pets or in-laws. We make a few big trips every year... one or two to Florida to see my parents (1500 miles), and one out west to our vacation spot in Idaho (5000 miles). When you spend a lot of time in a vehicle with family, you need ALL the room you can get.

I'm hoping the Transit will increase the trip comfort and allow us to do some family camping along the way.

Plus, the suburban/expedition crowd all have a fatal flaw IMO. Doors. If you've ever tried to get kids in and out of vehicle in a parking lot... rear swinging doors are a Machiavellian instrument. Give me a slider.

·
Registered
85 Posts

But when you look at what you are getting for the money, for about $40K I can get what I need out of a T-150 Wagon XLT. The Expedition STARTS at about $42K. The used Suburban is about $40K!

Yup.

I like the big utes, and if my kids were all older and/or I was in a more rural environment I'd think about it. For the amenities that are important to me (leather, navigation, bluetooth), the big utes quickly get into the $55-60k range. Pretty hefty considering what you get.

I'm in a Ford Edge right now, but we use my Wife's '11 Sienna for our travels. It is a nice vehicle, but it just doesn't have the room when you consider activies (bikes, camping gear, etc). With all three of mine in car seats, it is really a 6 seater, not 8. There is no way to use the middle rear seats with the safety seats installed.

She'll keep the Sienna for our suburban activities...its convenient. The Transit, if we go that route, will be my boy toy hauler/travel van. Pull the boat, camping, bikes, road trips, etc. We're looking to buy at the end of the year when my lease is up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep moved out of KR Expedition to a XLT 150 Window van getting ready for my first Fl trip no need to watch what you take room to spare and can tow my boat

·
Registered
112 Posts
The information is on pages 18 and 20 in the owners manual linked by another poster.

There are tether anchors in every single seating position except the drivers seat and the single third/fourth row seats in the 12 and 15 passenger versions. These tethers allow forward facing seats to be safely installed with the seatbelt.

There are only 2-3 seats with latch, depending on how many seats the van has overall. Would really liked to have seen more, three sets of latch is not exactly family friendly in a 12 passenger van.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Let me try to explain how this works: The only way to reduce the carbon footprint is... less feet! So Ford is just incentivising smaller families as a way to help the environment. It's a green vehicle. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
^that was rude and uncalled for

·
Registered
213 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. Wife has a flex, we have 3 kids and it's great but lacks extra space. I'm hoping for the same results as you with owning a T150 wagon. Have not seen one in the flesh. All dealers in my area only seem to have interest in the commercial Transit side of things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We're looking at the same for our family of six (four kids, oldest is 5). Interested to hear people's experience with a Transit as a family van.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We did not see the Ford Wagon interior as being family friendly:

Seats were to close together, did not recline and only need 7 seats max
Could not get the leather in the long wheel base which may have worked seating wise
We needed a fold down bed.
We wanted USB charging ports for each seat location
I wanted the diesel for longer range and perferred the short wheel base because it has a shorter turning radius.

We went with a converion van to get everything we needed.

Epps

·
Registered
95 Posts
This.

We are a family of two. But we do travel with our kids and grandkids. The reasons you both state - need room for more family and stuff - is the reason we went with the lwb el hr! Would I have made changes if I could? Yes But that's a whole different discussion.

I have posted some pictures, maybe they will help. http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/dealers-purchases-orders/3986-actual-delivery-custom-ordered-transit-27.html

By the way, our grandkids are excited about the thought of going on vacation and being in the same van. They love the room and especially the big windows to see all that is going on.

Also, the fuel cost is less for this than it is for our Touareg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts