Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for two factory sliding door steps and brackets. Maybe someone that has taken theirs off and would be willing to part with it.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
If you are looking for door steps, you might go with the aftermarket ones that will work on any Transit. They have ones for just the front doors and another set with the single driver side and the extra length passenger side that works for both the front passenger and the open out or slider door.

Look at the ones at www.runningboardwarehouse.com

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What should I look out for. I already notice the lower plastic trim is different, vans with a step have a section missing right where you would step.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just installed the Ionic running boards I bought from the site linked in the post above. My van did not come with the factory ones, so there is no "cut out" and it really doesn't matter with the ones I have...they work just fine. There are pictures of them on the other "Side Steps" thread on page 6 or 7.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I got the short driver's side and the long one for the passenger side/cargo...39" and 100". I think the thing to do, if you don't have the "cut out" is to make sure you don't order any that are shorter than 7" wide....any narrower than that and you'll only be able to get half your foot on it.

Nine inches, I think, would be perfect. But there's a trade off....you run the risk of heavy curb scrapeage on the passenger side with that width. Heck, I'm going to have to be mindfull of the one's I just put on. Having that extra step is quite nice...here's to hoping I never hear the dreaded scrape.

If you're going to be off road in your van...don't even think about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
Here is a thread with my factory board, brackets, and hardware available by Orlando.

As ghoff and others have noted, not all transits have preparation to just bolt them on. It would be great to have someone post on how they have installed them.

The factory one is all heavy duty aluminum, while my Ionic aftermarket ones are (decent) plastic on an aluminum extrusion.

I like the design of the factory one better, the full length of the Ionic ones more.

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
If you're going to be off road in your van...don't even think about it.
That's the reason that years ago I never installed steps on my Bronco that spent more time off road than on. There are too many things off road for the steps to catch or hang up on, though I don't expect to be driving our Transit like that :eek:

If I did, I expect certain people in the household would not be too happy with me :x

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I pick up a step locally and mounted it up myself in a couple hours. Had to drill out holes to accept 3/8 rivnuts. The step is a little narrow with the thicker plastic trim but for the price I couldn't resist trying it out, definitely better than nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed the Ford FK3Z-16450-BA running board. It's a very well thought out kit. Includes step & new rocker moldings. Took me about 45 min to install. Used existing body mounting points. Bottom body holes appear not to be tapped, but bolts screw in fairly easy creating threads as they go in. Very sturdy. Extremely pleased with the look, price & utility of the step. About $230 from South Bay Ford online. Price will vary a lot on this SBF site. My guess is stored cookies in your browser tend to drive up price.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just sold both my OEM ones and upgrade to dual AMP power steps. Great upgrade, a little bit noisy when the motors work but fast and super strong. I dont have the little indents in the lower side modeling so the OEM steps are a little small getting out of the van. The Amps were just a tad bit larger in width and work for the front doors as well. They are definitely pricey but I waited a while for a good deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts