Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CNBC is reporting that the Ford, GM and Chrysler/Fiat have announced closings of all manufacturing plants due to the Coronavirus. Looks like the wait period just got longer.

"Ford said it plans to close its factories in the U.S., Canada and Mexico after Thursday evening and through March 30. The company said it would work closely with the United Auto Workers union in the coming weeks to restart plants and explore additional protocols and procedures to help prevent the spread of the virus.
“We’re continuing to work closely with union leaders, especially the United Auto Workers, to find ways to help keep our workforce healthy and safe — even as we look at solutions for continuing to provide the vehicles customers really want and need,” said Kumar Galhotra, Ford’s president of North America."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve given up hope getting my transit this year. Between supply chain interruptions, and now plant shutdowns, it isn’t going to happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody have any idea what this means for a completed transit awaiting a rail car? I realize there are so much bigger problems in the world -- but at some point we need to plan accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
This is unfortunate for those waiting for orders now that most of the stumbling blocks have been clearing out. I thought that 2020 production was finally getting up to speed!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Let's hope the UAW and auto manufacturers' management takes the lead in getting us all back to work with reasonable precautions in place and accomodation for workers who have COVID-19 comorbidities. The auto industry is seen by some as leaders of US manufacturing, and it would go a long way to softening the economic disaster in the US if they led the way by showing us all how to be productive and get back to work while balancing medical concerns.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Anybody have any idea what this means for a completed transit awaiting a rail car? I realize there are so much bigger problems in the world -- but at some point we need to plan accordingly.
Contact your dealer as they can find out the rail car number once it is loaded and they can track it from the plant to the Regional Distribution Center and then to their dealership.

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
I’ve given up hope getting my transit this year. Between supply chain interruptions, and now plant shutdowns, it isn’t going to happen.
It could be worse... I waited about 4 months and the weekend it arrived at Matt Ford I got sent to another country for work, and am still here. That was in July 2018. My wife flew up to Matt Ford and drove it home. I've gone home for short visits and have driven it a little but that's about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Silver lining: Maybe while Ford production halts, the teleworking engineers will have time to correct the design/engineering issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was also thinking that maybe the supply chain of components will keep running and they can catch up on some of the shortages of high demand or late availability items.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Since Transits are frequently as ambulances, they will have increased pressure to keep supply chain open for repair parts and service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts