Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved the layout on my Sprinter, which included a sideways facing bench/bed "Gaucho" from Sportsmobile featuring four seatbelts.
Ever since it was totaled by a felonious driver speeding in excess of 100mph while attempting to pass multiple vehicles on a two lane shoulderless bridge I've been a little bit more concerned about safety for my occasional passengers.
My plan with a new Sprinter was to go with the Crew Cab, and do many similar things to it that I had with the first Cargo Van, but have the option of using the removable real factory bench seat when necessary especially when utilizing a car seat for a grandkid.
Playing around on the Edmunds site today I realized that no rear seat options exist on the van (as opposed to Wagon)
Am I mistaken or are there really no factory seat options available in the transit Van other than driver and right front passenger?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yea I think that you have to go with the Wagon in order to have the options for the rear seats. I'm not sure if there are any after market options available instead. Is that a deal breaker for you if you can't get the rear seat options that you are looking for?

·
Registered
640 Posts
The American Pickers new Transit has the rear seats with seatbelts (looked aftermarket). The European Transits had the crew cab seating in the cargo verson as a option.

VanMan

·
Registered
77 Posts
The American Pickers new Transit has the rear seats with seatbelts (looked aftermarket). The European Transits had the crew cab seating in the cargo verson as a option.

VanMan
The fine print for the American Pickers van reads "Preproduction vehicle with optional features shown. Available Summer 2014" so maybe the seats will eventually be an option?

If not, they clearly came from somewhere!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There will be all kinds of aftermarket rear seating available, but none of them will meet the safety standards that a factory seat does. The Pickers side benches come nowhere close.
I loved my sideways bench w/ belts in the Sprinter, but even a tiny fender bender from the side will likely kill the occupant.....there is really just a bit of sheet metal protecting them.
The Sprinter Crew Van has a real seat facing forwards with real mounting to the frame at dedicated points, the aftermarket stuff is just bolted in wherever. In most states it's not even technically legal to transport passengers in them if the vehicle is not registered as a motor home.
My Sportsmobile Gaucho with belts was no where near legal, it just LOOKED legal (I did not have the full conversion and was registered and insured as a van)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts