Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wagon did not come with privacy glass, which is something we would like. I am down in Florida and I figure it's so common place down here I'll get a much better price then I will in NJ, everything seems more expensive in Jersey. Does anybody know what percentage the tint is on the factory privacy glass?

· Registered
889 Posts
My wagon did not come with privacy glass, which is something we would like. I am down in Florida and I figure it's so common place down here I'll get a much better price then I will in NJ, everything seems more expensive in Jersey. Does anybody know what percentage the tint is on the factory privacy glass?
I don't know percentage, but it's not as dark as you would probably want. I believe front windows are marginally lighter, but you can see into rear and slider windows way too much. It is definitely not Limo tint.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
I don't know percentage, but it's not as dark as you would probably want. I believe front windows are marginally lighter, but you can see into rear and slider windows way too much. It is definitely not Limo tint.
You sure you're talking about privacy glass? The regular windows are tinted, but don't have the "privacy" upgrade. Someone on here the other day, said that with privacy glass, there was NO viewing inside at the rear, even with interior lights on at night.

· Registered
373 Posts
There is a big difference between the standard "tint" and privacy tint.

Here's a comparison.

Standard tint glass

Privacy tint glass

I went with the privacy glass for our van and am happy I did. I "think" that option also gets you rear window defoggers.

Here's our cargo van with the privacy glass. Yes, you can see inside it, but not nearly to the extent of the regular glass. If you want limo tint you'd need to apply something to this.

· Registered
541 Posts
Someone on here the other day, said that with privacy glass, there was NO viewing inside at the rear, even with interior lights on at night.
Yeah, I saw that and wondered about it. I'm guessing they either had something else done or were in some odd circumstances - maybe under bright parking lot lights?

I have the "privacy glass" and it's a nice level of tint to me but it certainly doesn't prevent seeing in. At night, with the cargo lights on, everything is clearly visible inside.

Just this morning I looked through the van from one side and could clearly see (just somewhat darker) the neighbors' yards on the other side of the van. The stuff *inside* the van wasn't very noticeable, but only because there were no lights inside.

Reactions: anonmoo and Budsky

· Registered
185 Posts
Don't think Ford's optional "Privacy Glass" is what it used to be. On E-Series "Privacy Glass" appears to be not only more darkly tinted, but also semi-reflective. It seems that on Transit Ford may have dropped the exterior semi-reflective treatment. This One Way Mirror Sunglass effect does help reduce the Sun's ability to heat the interior, as well as prevent outsiders from seeing more than silhouettes during bright daylight hours.

However, at night, with interior lights on, occupants are on display, even with "Privacy Glass".

· Registered
2,243 Posts
My 350 HR wagon has the OEM privacy glass, I added after market 30% window tint over that to all windows, including front doors. Even with that , you can see inside the van, the installer advised the only way you can't see inside is if you put "limo" tint on top of the privacy glass.

I've seen some other vans that did the "limo" tint for the back and I'm wishing I had opted for that, in the back. Be like driving a wagon with no side windows except that you still have some visibility from inside, but none from outside. I can see everything I need to see with the 3 camera system, anyway. :D

The big advantage to the window tinting, any %, is the additional UV protection.

Semper Fi

· Registered
2,243 Posts
I seem to remember that some states have a restriction on how dark the window tinting can be on rear windows. Some kind of security measure.

mogulman,

The restrictions for all states are on the front drivers and passenger windows, for visability. No restrictions on back windows, as long as you have side mirrors (the same as having no windows).

Semper Fi

· Registered
82 Posts
Tint laws vary widely by state, many states have different requirements for passenger cars and Van/SUV.

http://www.iwfa.com/News/StateLawCharts-AutomotiveWindowFilm.aspx

My van has factory privacy glass and you could easily see in the vehicle in a normal parking lot lighting at night, in the day time you could see straight through it and the A/C could in no manner keep up.

Additional tint made a big difference in both respects.

· Registered
889 Posts
mogulman,

The restrictions for all states are on the front drivers and passenger windows, for visability. No restrictions on back windows, as long as you have side mirrors (the same as having no windows).

Semper Fi

A former girlfriend bought a Toyota RAV 4 and didn't have anything "over-the-top" dark on the windows; can't recall, but I think it was even done by the dealer (in Texas). When she moved to Wash D.C. she told me they made her remove some (or all). But common sense would agree with Vet.

Ok, OK, let me beat you to the punchline: no where are "common sense" and "Washingon DC" used in the same sentence. >:D

Reactions: USMC Vet

· Registered
373 Posts
My plan is to figure out some removable(?) window coverings on the inside for the rear glass I want covered when camping etc. I haven't decided if I'll do solid panels that attach or some sort of "curtain" deal.

I like having some visibility to the sides when driving or when passengers might be riding in the back. But for camping or bike hauling I'd prefer pretty much opaque for the rear area.

I really only wanted just first row windows on both sides but couldn't get it that way. I figured there are several options to make them essentially opaque.

· Registered
541 Posts
Tonight I tried making a couple Reflectix panels for my windows for camping (or changing before/after kayaking). I cut one to fit right against the glass with the edges slipped into the gap between the metal and glass. It fits beautifully but is a pain to trim to fit just right. Not sure how long the edges will hold up to repeated insert / removal operations.

The second one I tried oversizing about 1" on all sides and gluing magnets to hold it in place to the "window frame" around the window. Worked, but I need different glue. (Don't have a glue gun, just tried some of the 3M 90 I was installing the insulation with. Two magnets held, two came off.)

It's a LOT faster to make the panels with magnets, and it's a lot quicker to put them on / take them off. I didn't have any gaps that I noticed but the thing I really like about the inserts is you KNOW there are NO gaps.

I doubt I'll bother with more tint for the rear windows. I want to be able to see out and enjoy the view, I also want to easily see stuff when driving at night. The few times I've driven cars with very dark tint in back at night I felt like I might as well have no windows at all...

Reactions: danketchpel

· Registered
2,894 Posts
Tonight I tried making a couple Reflectix panels for my windows...
I doubt I'll bother with more tint for the rear windows. I want to be able to see out and enjoy the view, I also want to easily see stuff when driving at night. The few times I've driven cars with very dark tint in back at night I felt like I might as well have no windows at all...

I like being able to see out the side. When camping, I like the view blocked, but light coming through. I got some kitchen curtains that do that, and look nice, for the slider and rear windows.

But, I knew I would sometimes want to look more commercial, so, decided to make Reflectix inserts. After it became clear how much heat they block, I've decided to leave the rear window inserts in, all spring-summer long. And, it looks pretty good.

I made mine exact fit, and added Velcro to keep them in place. I used self-stick fuzzy side, and cut it to a width that fits within the darkened, non-see-through edge... so that, when removed, you don't notice anything unusual. I used 8 pieces on each rear window, each less than a square inch. Then put longer, thinner hook pieces on the Reflectix.

· Registered
393 Posts
I have the privacy glass did not think it was very dark although it gives a nice look to the van from the outside (I have all around windows). I ended up having the windows tinted after I got it to make it even darker. With the tint and privacy glass you can't really see in during the day but at night with lights on you could still see in. I did a 15% tint (allows only 15% of light to enter). I almost did a limo tint (5% allowable light to enter) but was worried it would be too dark to see out of. As for privacy shades I did make some out of reflectix. I found that by making a template out of kraft paper was the easiest way to get a good fit. They block the light but I never liked how they looked. I ended up taking a piece of fabric and a piece of blackout curtain and sewed them together. Then I 3M 90 sprayed that on to the reflectix and really like the look it gave. The other thing that I did was to spray the outside of the reflectix with a matte spray paint. Before I did this you could still kinda see the shiny part of the reflectix from the outside. Now when the window shades are in it just looks like a really dark tint from the outside. You could shine a flashlight in and it would just look super dark. After I had the shades in for a few week I noticed in the larger windows they were starting to sag inwards and one would fall out. I fixed this by stopping by ace hardware and picking up some suction cups that had a hook on them. I took the hook off and made a small hole in the window shade and put the mushroom head of the suction cup through it. Now they are securely attached to the window with four suction cups and will only come down when I want them to. I will admit that I thought the window shade idea would be a simple project but because I kept doing more to get the look I wanted it ended up being a somewhat time consuming project. But in the end I'm glad I did it. I'll attache a few pics. I think I have a good one at night showing the back windows with one shade in and one just the tinted window.

Attachments

· Registered
2,243 Posts
This is what my friend did to go over his privacy glass. This was sent to him by one of our Ford Corporate Employees who does special projects for Ford.

CVM,

Looks good and solves the problem. I know some of the members here, in the trade unions, have done something similar with their business advertising.

Be like back in the 70's with painting the sides of the no-window tradesman vans with a snow capped mountain scene, having a cabin with smoke curling from the chimney off to the side. But doing it now days with film. :D

Semper Fi

· Registered
29 Posts
I have a friend with a Transit Wagon without the privacy glass, and he is having the new ceramic tinting done on his windows primarily to cut down on solar heat radiation into the interior. It is going to cost him about $700 to have all the windows tinted that are legal to tint to the degree of tinting that he wants.
Since we ordered our Transit Wagon with the privacy glass and I also want to minimize the degree of solar heat radiation into the interior, I have asked my friend at the Kansas City assembly plant to find out from the glass supplier for the Transits what "the numbers" on the privacy glass are -- percent of tint, percent of solar radiation blocked by it, etc.
I'll report back when I hear from him.

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Ask your friend at the plant how many Transits got damaged by the hail storm that happened this past week. Picked up one yesterday near the plant and there were a few small dents on the top and one on the corner above the windows. They had some larger hail near the airport and some lighter around the dealership.

· Registered
85 Posts
FL tint

I've always thought that privacy glass is 15%. Our wagon came without out it (my mistake), but then I had it tinted. I did 30% on the front windows and 15% all around. Basically, FL law states what we did is as dark s legal (there are some exceptions but it's not worth getting into).

We went to a tint shop that been in business for a while and uses good quality tint with a lifetime warranty. We paid $269 for the entire vehicle. This seemed reasonable (cheaper than the privacy glass option), but I'll admit I didn't shop around. I believe the privacy glass is nice, but I feel like the high-end tint will block more heat. It's been great to have!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.