Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can see the key codes, but none of mine say anything about the trailer brake controller...they all say not configured. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally figured it out today. Uninstalled the newest version of forscan and tried an older version and boom was right at the bottom. Everything works as it should now! So for anyone attempting this mod don’t use the newest version!

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
Finally figured it out today. Uninstalled the newest version of forscan and tried an older version and boom was right at the bottom. Everything works as it should now! So for anyone attempting this mod don’t use the newest version!
Interesting. It seems someone else had a similar version issue a few months ago, glad you found the solution! #persistencepaysagain

Note to self: keep installation files for several FORScan builds on hand. :geek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought a 2017 Transit at the beginning of the year that didn't have a feature I really wanted, the factory trailer brake controller. The dealer told me it could be added after the fact. Well the mechanic at the dealer pointed out after I bought my van that this would not be possible as the factory wiring was not there. Not wanting to sell the van I just bought with a nice discount, I took it as a challenge and did just that. >:D

My van does have the factory trailer wiring provisions, but the connector for the trailer brake controller was nowhere to be found. I attached a tone tracer to the trailer brake wire at the 7 pin connector and found that the signal ended under the hood. The mating connector was not pinned and trailer brake controller wiring was simply not part of the harness. After much studying of the Motorcraft Service data I took the dash almost entirely apart in order to gain access to the bulkhead grommet, fuse box and a convenient place to splice into the HS CAN bus. After some serious googling I sourced the necessary connectors, harness tape, fuses, wire etc for a near factory install, got it all wired up and not surprisingly it only lit up the lights but did not work.

What I did to fix this was purchase an OBDLink Mx bluetooth adapter to work with my laptop and downloaded FORScan. I couldn't find much info on programming it since most of the US stuff is programmed with the As built data. For a Ford F-150 for example, you find a VIN that has the features you want to enable, download the As built data through Motorcraft and do a comparison between vehicles. You can then find the difference in the module of interest (radio for example) and flip the bits around by changing the hex value and you can turn that feature on off, which may or may not work depending on what you're tying to do. Well that method was not successful for me, but what did work was to edit the "central configuration" which is how the Euro Fords are configured. What's great about central config is it's all in plain english, you don't have to spend hours with trial and error figuring out what a single bit does. I was able to enable the rear window defrost switch through the central config as well.

For the most part setting up the OBDlink and installing Forscan is pretty easy.A license for Forscan is required to get into engineering mode to make the changes to central config. The only "tricky" part was making sure FORScan had the calibration files. It's looking for them in C:\Users\your-username\Documents\CalibrationFiles. The files are *.vbf and can be downloaded from
fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/PCMReprogram/DSFM_PCMReprogram.asp?swproduct=IDS , but I ended up finding a folder of them on the Forscan website.

After programming the brake controller not only worked, but the gain is displayed on the instrument cluster just as it's supposed to be. I did a test pull with my trailer and the gain settings work as intended and the backup sensors were disabled as they should be. After that success I ordered the parts needed to complete the install into the center console. I ordered the trim bezel, cup holder, cup holder rubber insert and coin tray insert for the right side of the bezel from Tasca parts. The center console had the holes for the retainer clips welded in, all I had to do was carefully cut the skin to fit the bezel.

In conclusion, unless you're hellbent on an OEM brake controller and OK with assuming personal liability for your vehicle modifications, I suggest going aftermarket, however it is entirely possible to get the factory trailer brake controller fully functioning without having to buy more than the factory brake controller, OBD link and a Motorcraft Service data short term subscription as long as your van has the harness. With all the trouble this was I hope someone finds it useful. If you have some questions I'd be glad to answer them. I didn't document everything but I have saved part numbers for building and splicing the harness.
would you like to pin point exactly where you got the files on Forscan ?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone figured out an easier way to wire up the factory brake controller when you don't have the connector? I have a 2017 T250 midroof Ecoboost factory tow package that has everything (even the tow/haul button) except the plug under the cup holder. I don't have the wire that runs between the console and the glovebox either that I've noticed some people utilize. Is there something to do with the wires on the Trailer Tow Module?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone figured out an easier way to wire up the factory brake controller when you don't have the connector? I have a 2017 T250 midroof Ecoboost factory tow package that has everything (even the tow/haul button) except the plug under the cup holder. I don't have the wire that runs between the console and the glovebox either that I've noticed some people utilize. Is there something to do with the wires on the Trailer Tow Module?
i have 100% same. Did you ever figure this out?

·
Registered
288 Posts
i have 100% same. Did you ever figure this out?
I bought this kit;
JK4Z-15A416-A

It has all the wiring for the entire trailer system and includes the trailer module. My van had the connector under the cup holder and so I ended up not needing that wiring and connector and I could send you that if thats all you need. I used everything else though.
Send me a PM if you're interested

·
Registered
288 Posts
I no longer have the left over parts from JK4Z-15A416-A. I think the individual harness from the kit, part number JK4J-15A416d is all that will be needed for the OEM brake controller install for people that dont have the connector behind the cup holder. Hopefully @Akselik will be able to answer this soon, since I sent him the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I am new to this website as well as Transit life. I bought a 2018 Transit 350 xlt passenger van and I am looking to install the factory trailer brake contoller. I bought the controller and went to find the harness it plugs into under the cup holders and of course it is not there. I am fairly certain that all the harness leads to is the plug on the passenger side center concel next to the glove box. But I am having some issues finding a part number or any info for that matter on that specific harness. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreated. Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
The link you posted is mostly about adding a trailer module so that the lights work. This thread seems to be about adding a trailer brake module for controlling trailer brakes. Granted if someone wants to have functioning trailer brakes they will need to have both modules

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
... I bought the controller and went to find the harness it plugs into under the cup holders and of course it is not there. I am fairly certain that all the harness leads to is the plug on the passenger side center console next to the glove box...
This is the TBC plug under the cupholder on our 2015. It is not present unless certain other options were ordered like the towing package.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is the TBC plug under the cupholder on our 2015. It is not present unless certain other options were ordered like the towing package.
View attachment 139889 View attachment 139890
My 2016 van did not have any of the towing options; hitch, trailer module, or the tow/haul button. But it had the TBC plug and my van has the level 2 cluster because it has lane departure warning so when I need it and install the TBC I will luckily have full functionality of being able to adjust gain in the cluster.

So idk what options are needed to have been ordered to get the plug under the cupholder but I think I got lucky

·
Registered
5 Posts

can this be done for the 2020 Transit?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts