Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
I asked the question last year
Extended Fuel Tank (31gal), when does your miles to go...

I've put 30.5gal into the tank numerous times, but that was on blind faith in my math (and the MPG I get at 65mph).

I've found Ford's MPG calculation isn't particularly accurate (and not consistent from tank to tank), especially when doing a mix of flat high speed interstate followed by slower extended uphills. Normally the low fuel light will come on at 26gal used, but I'll have plenty more miles than "miles to E" indicates.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,036 Posts
On Sprinters, the alarming "low fuel" display comes on when the fuel needle is at 1/4 tank! So...
Yeah... that messed with us, for sure... 50+ miles after E on the Sprinter (never ran it out of gas)... but I get pretty close to zero miles after E on the Transit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered the "Extended Range Fuel Tank" option on my 2021 eco-boost. It's supposed to be 31 gallons vs the standard 26. Twice I've run it down to less than 10 miles to E according to the dash reading and both times I was only able to put around 26 gallons in. The second time I became suspicious and computed the miles to E divided by the current mpg the dash was showing and got 26. I checked the fuel tank and it has a sticker on it that says 118L and it appears to extend back as far as the BEMM says the extended tank should.

I asked about this on a Facebook group and people referred me to this post: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic...ilbkF0fp-53gZN5IwRJX5kRTd1CsfrwN0RIpUL-5uVPbU Which seems to describe that the computer has to be told the tank is 31 gallons. Seems weird that the factory wouldn't have done that.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience with a factory installed extended range tank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the van is not configured properly from the factory I would want the dealer to do it. Unfortunately, that could open up a completely new can of worms. On my 2020 148 extended I also ordered the extended tank and I have seen the same issues you raise.

I have watched some videos of some lowering the tank to tap the auxiliary fuel port for a secondary heat source. In one video he stated 3 straps holding up the tank secured with 6 bolts. My tank had 4 straps and 8 bolts securing the tank. Is three straps the standard? If so, this would be a quick way to verify you got what you ordered.

·
Registered
381 Posts
On our Transit with the 25 gallon tank, 0 miles remaining corresponds to ~24 gallons consumed. IIRC, we have put in 24.3 gallons before.

Like the OP, I would be annoyed if there were 5 gallons unadvertised still in the tank.

·
Registered
653 Posts
And yes, Forscan has a PID setting for fuel tank volume, which presumably recalculates miles to empty as well as where the fuel needle is.
I haven’t looked at this PID and I don’t know for sure but that’s why I am guessing that adjusting the mpg in the dash using the cluster service mode and adjusting the AFE bias.

If the fuel gauge in the cluster doesn’t actually use the fuel level sensor in the tank and the cluster displays a calculated value from injector duty cycle and engine run time since last fill up then adjusting the MPG display so it’s more accurate and less optimistic might solve the problem why the dash light comes on so early.

I’m not sure how to embed a video but Here is a link of someone adjusting the mpg on a F150 the procedure is the same, press the trip reset button for 10 seconds and turn the ignition to on, then scroll through the screens.

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Avalanche Grey
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If the fuel gauge in the cluster doesn’t actually use the fuel level sensor in the tank and the cluster displays a calculated value from injector duty cycle and engine run time since last fill up

Oh jeez I hope it uses a sensor and not a calculation since I plan to run my Espar heater plenty which will use fuel and I’d hate to get stranded without gas because of a stupid calculation rather than actual sensor. Since the tank has an aux fuel port, I hope the engineers thought of this!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not saying it happened for sure but is it possible when you did the tank for the esbar it tweaked the float that goes to the sensor and gauge? Looks like the black deal on the end of the wire on right is a float.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Not saying it happened for sure but is it possible when you did the tank for the esbar it tweaked the float that goes to the sensor and gauge? Looks like the black deal on the end of the wire on right is a float.
Super unlikely. We only lowered the rank about 6” to snap on the aux port.

Well, Sprinters have a float gauge, too, but it doesn't stop them from ignoring it and using computed values instead. :rolleyes: The dealer can set it to use the float, but it is ignored by default. It is only used to detect fill-ups.
Sheesh

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered the "Extended Range Fuel Tank" option on my 2021 eco-boost. It's supposed to be 31 gallons vs the standard 26. Twice I've run it down to less than 10 miles to E according to the dash reading and both times I was only able to put around 26 gallons in. The second time I became suspicious and computed the miles to E divided by the current mpg the dash was showing and got 26. I checked the fuel tank and it has a sticker on it that says 118L and it appears to extend back as far as the BEMM says the extended tank should.

I asked about this on a Facebook group and people referred me to this post: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic...ilbkF0fp-53gZN5IwRJX5kRTd1CsfrwN0RIpUL-5uVPbU Which seems to describe that the computer has to be told the tank is 31 gallons. Seems weird that the factory wouldn't have done that.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience with a factory installed extended range tank.
Yeah, I ordered 31 gallon as well and jave a 24 or 26 found out when I drove from Oregon to Florida and ran tank near empty. I called dealer and they said sometimes they do miss builds and they could remedy it for me, I told then I have the window sticker and option list, just havent wanted to take my van and leave it anywhere at the moment but soon will take it in to remedy same issue. I like the thought of extended range but every now and then i think of weight as I load my crew van up with 2 cases of water and a 10 gallon cooler for the dogs of water a washer Machine and dryer a tool kit a compost toilet 3 kids and three dogs two weighing in at 165 and a pug. Im getting around 15mpg pulling 4400lb travel trailer in the mountains best 12.9mpg, if I get bigger tank in was thinking id get worse mpgs as each gallon i believe is 8lbs or so.... just thinking.. Most likely since I payed for the tank im going to go get it. Enjoy yalls ride....

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof. Awd on order
162 Posts
Ok for us folks who got vans on order and With 31 gallon tank as option, when we pick
up our van at dealer how to we tell by looking underneath if it is the 31 gallon tank? Do we measure it or look for sticker?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok for us folks who got vans on order and With 31 gallon tank as option, when we pick
up our van at dealer how to we tell by looking underneath if it is the 31 gallon tank? Do we measure it or look for sticker?
There are two stickers on my tank: one with a part number and another one that says 118L. You can also check the BEMM image and look at which frame member the tank extends past and check that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I ordered 31 gallon as well and jave a 24 or 26 found out when I drove from Oregon to Florida and ran tank near empty. I called dealer and they said sometimes they do miss builds and they could remedy it for me, I told then I have the window sticker and option list, just havent wanted to take my van and leave it anywhere at the moment but soon will take it in to remedy same issue. I like the thought of extended range but every now and then i think of weight as I load my crew van up with 2 cases of water and a 10 gallon cooler for the dogs of water a washer Machine and dryer a tool kit a compost toilet 3 kids and three dogs two weighing in at 165 and a pug. Im getting around 15mpg pulling 4400lb travel trailer in the mountains best 12.9mpg, if I get bigger tank in was thinking id get worse mpgs as each gallon i believe is 8lbs or so.... just thinking.. Most likely since I payed for the tank im going to go get it. Enjoy yalls ride....
While the added weight might reduce fuel economy a bit, I suspect it would be far outweighed by the way in which the extended range plays out in combination with an app such as GasBuddy to locate cheaper fuel on occasion beyond the range of the standard tank.

Regarding this general issue: I actually just noticed how the numbers weren't added up on my new 2021 that is supposed to have a 31 gallon tank. I was also wondering if it was an issue with a sensor or setting, but now questioning if there's actually a 31 gallon tank & will try to take a peak at actual gas tank. Why this sort of issue hasn't been ironed out is beyond me. Same goes for the rattling on the sliding door.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts