Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Avalanche Grey
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the "Extended Range Fuel Tank" option on my 2021 eco-boost. It's supposed to be 31 gallons vs the standard 26. Twice I've run it down to less than 10 miles to E according to the dash reading and both times I was only able to put around 26 gallons in. The second time I became suspicious and computed the miles to E divided by the current mpg the dash was showing and got 26. I checked the fuel tank and it has a sticker on it that says 118L and it appears to extend back as far as the BEMM says the extended tank should.

I asked about this on a Facebook group and people referred me to this post: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic...ilbkF0fp-53gZN5IwRJX5kRTd1CsfrwN0RIpUL-5uVPbU Which seems to describe that the computer has to be told the tank is 31 gallons. Seems weird that the factory wouldn't have done that.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience with a factory installed extended range tank.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I ordered the "Extended Range Fuel Tank" option on my 2021 eco-boost. It's supposed to be 31 gallons vs the standard 26. Twice I've run it down to less than 10 miles to E according to the dash reading and both times I was only able to put around 26 gallons in. The second time I became suspicious and computed the miles to E divided by the current mpg the dash was showing and got 26. I checked the fuel tank and it has a sticker on it that says 118L and it appears to extend back as far as the BEMM says the extended tank should.

I asked about this on a Facebook group and people referred me to this post: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic...ilbkF0fp-53gZN5IwRJX5kRTd1CsfrwN0RIpUL-5uVPbU Which seems to describe that the computer has to be told the tank is 31 gallons. Seems weird that the factory wouldn't have done that.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience with a factory installed extended range tank.
I'd ask your local service department to check the settings. I ran tests and it will indeed hold 31-32 gallons. More about that here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
215 Posts
I can confirm that I have the same experience in my '21 XLT w/Extended Range.
I have driven till 4 or fewer Miles to Empty a few times intentionally.
Refuel to FULL never exceeded 28 gallons. (26.xx~27.xx)

Last I looked into it there was no credible explanation, and plenty of similar compaints.

If the 31 gal Extended Range tank takes 26.xx-28.xx gallons to fill to max? Does the Standard 26 gal tank only ever accept say 22.xx-24.xx to fill to max?

In my head it bothers me. A lot. In practicality, car tells me miles to empty....that's the range regardless of what (*where?) the gallons are. And I have seen more than 27 gal. go in so I at least got the tank I paid for, right?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
650 Posts
What does the dash display as distance to empty when you fill up and how many miles are you able to drive before the dash display less than 10 miles to empty?

If these differ significantly adjusting the AFE bias calibration in the instrument cluster’s service mode to correct the mpg may also adjust how the cluster tracks how much fuel has been used since the last fill up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the dash display as distance to empty when you fill up and how many miles are you able to drive before the dash display less than 10 miles to empty?

If these differ significantly adjusting the AFE bias calibration in the instrument cluster’s service mode to correct the mpg may also adjust how the cluster tracks how much fuel has been used since the last fill up.
From observations, it looks like the miles to E varies with the currently calculated mpg. Which makes total sense. My issue is why it says 0 miles to E and then when I fill up, it's 26 gallons.

I'll take it to the dealership and have them check the settings. Sucks since it's an hour drive each way for me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
From observations, it looks like the miles to E varies with the currently calculated mpg. Which makes total sense. My issue is why it says 0 miles to E and then when I fill up, it's 26 gallons.

I'll take it to the dealership and have them check the settings. Sucks since it's an hour drive each way for me.
I’m not sure why you quoted me, you didn’t reply my question. I’ll ask it again;

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
215 Posts
@dinocarsfast
I have been "chasing the dragon" of a 500 mile refuel interval.

It shows up as 500+ at a refuel/reset. But by the end of the tank I've often achieved 480-490 miles per tank.
I tend to refill before the 50 mile warning, but that has to be ignored if you are stretching for a number. Thats when I've driven it down below 10 MTE
Daily driving, road tripping. 40/60 city highway. (100% could get 500 on a long pure highway trip)

My issue is why it says 0 miles to E and then when I fill up, it's 26 gallons.
Yes. Same.

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
556 Posts
Forscan has a fuel tank level PID, seems accurate on my 25 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,934 Posts
We have the extended tank. I've put 30 gallons in it. That was after I ran out of gas and used a 1-gallon tank to get to the gas station. :LOL:

Did it again parking it on the hill at our house. In that case, it was reading ~20 miles to empty, then didn't start once on the hill (nose up). Again got about 30 gallons in it.

This is the first car that I take the "distance to empty" pretty seriously (now). The Sprinter had 50+ miles left after zero...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m not sure why you quoted me, you didn’t reply my question. I’ll ask it again;
Oo, sassy. lol. My van has 1,200 miles on it. No chance to compute data like that yet since I only just noticed this based on intuition and 2 near-(supposedly)-empty refills. Not really sure I want to actually collect data on how far I can actually drive since that involves trying to run out of gas.

Anyway, I'll just take it to the dealer to have them check the settings. Then do further research if we find they were not set incorrectly at the factory.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm disappointed on the tank too, I've never got more than 28 gallons to go in and I think something is wrong, like it's no way a 34 gallon tank or the way the filler tube is connected it can't fill the last 5 gallons. IMHO, it's a lie to call it 34 galloons.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think dinocarsfast's suggestion is going in the right direction with adjusting the bias. It seems there should be a setting for the tank size but with the transit - ¿Quién sabe?

For reference both my '15 and '19 were overly optimistic when it came to the "real-time" MPG display and the related MTE. When I went to the Cooper AT3-245/70 R16 tires the real-time MPG readouts became "almost accurate". The speedometer takes a 6% fudge factor to match up with a Garmin GPS. Checking the real MPG with fill-up data for gas used and an adjusted trip meter value for miles driven (factor of 0.0540%) it comes as close as a .01 MPG 0.1 MPG difference.

Math is not my forte so you can check my figures ....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think it's a safeguard that Ford put in, showing the empty signal way before it's actually empty. I have a 25 gallon tank. Calculating from the mileage driven and MPG, the Empty signal comes when I used up only 21-22 gallons, meaning there would be at least a couple gallons left in the tank. When filing up again I could only put in that much fuel. I've driven up to 40 miles passed empty and was able to pump in about 24 gains that time.

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
FWIW: I don't usually push the fuel level too low, but a few weeks ago passed many stations because I wanted to fill up at my favorite station. The miles to empty hit zero just as I pulled in and the 25 gallon tank took just over 23 gallons.
You should be able to expect similar results with your 31 gallon tank, maybe 27-29 gallons when it shows zero to E.
Did you notice where the needle was in relation to miles to empty? When we've drawn down near zero, it usually coincides with the needle arriving at E.

Since it is new, the dealer can easily check to see if the computer was set to the larger tank at the factory or not.
And yes, Forscan has a PID setting for fuel tank volume, which presumably recalculates miles to empty as well as where the fuel needle is.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@asdrew Needle on E. Estimated miles to E was 1 after Espar install when I filled up. Only 25 gallons and change.

I get having a buffer of a gallon or two. All cars I’ve owned have that. Five gallons seems excessive, and together with the information that there is another fuel tank of corresponding size and that there is a setting in the computer…

anyway, this won’t get resolved for me soon since I don’t drive that much and I won’t go to Reno unless I have another reason to be down there… But I will eventually report back.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Note that with modern vehicles it isn't great for the fuel pump to run the tank completely empty. However, if you really want to know then bring along a jerry can of fuel and drive until you run out. That, or call up roadside assistance if you have it. Then see how much fuel you can cram in there. Doing this once certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

MPG and DTG are estimates, and they're difficult to get right.

I rarely push beyond 1/2 to 1/4 remaining. It sucks to be caught almost empty at the wrong time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts