Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time getting tank close to 'E'. Light came on at ~35mi to empty.

With 25mi to go I only managed to get 26gal into it with a couple tries to top it off (never enough to overfill) so it's at least bigger than 25gal. Needle looked pegged at 'F' when I was done.

The tank averaged over 16mpg so I should have had at least 50mi+ range left even if I'd been in the mountains.

Where are other peoples experiences with the miles remaining when the warning comes on? This doesn't seem like an error that it would learn its way around unless I actually drove it to zero.

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148”
13 Posts
I can tell you from experience on a recent trip to Utah, I was in the hills with a strong headwind and it came on at 50-miles to empty. I was 35-miles to the next fuel exit so I thought I was fine with a few miles to the good. Long story short, the mileage in the hills dropped the miles to empty faster than expected and went to zero. I maintained my speed at 60-mph to get over the last few hills and went another 12-miles on the odometer past the point it went to zero miles to empty. I was totally expecting it to run out of gas at any moment and by pure miracle, I was able to make it to the gas station with the motor still running. I put 30.7 gallons in it. I wouldn’t wish that anxiety on anybody! I hope sharing this experience will give members a true expectation of knowing when the light comes on and says “50 miles to empty”, the mileage doesn’t count down one at a time to zero and there is still a little bit “Extra” in the tank if you choose to push it that far and press your luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can tell you from experience on a recent trip to Utah,
I put 30.7 gallons in it. I wouldn’t wish that anxiety on anybody!
Thanks.

When I get a chance I'll try to run mine beyond 25gals w/ a jerrycan in the back just in case. If the average MPG is correct on the trip meter then I should be able to get close enough to 31gals without running out to be convinced it actually holds that much.

I just found a recent thread about using FORscan to adjust the fuel tank size, at least on 2020+ F-150's. I haven't tried FORscan yet, but maybe the easiest solution would be seeing what value is set for my van.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
212 Posts
I also have to 31 gal tank. I've taken it down to five miles till empty two times and then filled it up (once to drop the tank to install my Espar heater) both times it only took 28 gallons?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great timing on this question , I was going to ask the same thing but figured I’d let someone else get yelled at for not using the search bar first
i have the 31 gallon tank 2020 model and took it down to 12 miles to empty today ... I only have about 1100 miles on the van so not too confident where E really is
not only that but those last 50 miles to empty disappeared in about 20 miles
So I was 12 miles to empty on a 31 gallon tank ... and it topped off at 27 gallons. 26.97 actually and would not take a drop more
huh?
The 27 gallons pinned the needle on F and I was given a 500 mile range estimate
i have a long 1200 or so Miles ahead in the next week, mostly all highway , so I’ll see how the fillups go
im not about to run it dry to test this out , so if someone else does ... I’d love to know
And for reference all my other vehicles fill up to about 1/2 gallon of tank capacity when range is close to zero

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Wait until some day when you have to walk seven miles for gas, You will never let it happen again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just intentionally ran mine 10 miles past 0 miles range, and I apparently got home totally empty because it didn't start the next day. I'm lowering the tank for the webasto install so that was my goal, and I was also curious how far beyond 0 it would go. Not far!

Cheers.
If you reset your trip computer at fillups, can you tell if your (distance / avg_mpg) == 31?

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you reset your trip computer at fillups, can you tell if your (distance / avg_mpg) == 31?
I'll have to try that. May take awhile. I'm in build mode. But I'll see how much I can put in it in a week or two since I know it's nearly bone dry right now. That should tell me something. I'll max out what it can hold by waiting after each fill and letting the fuel settle, then topping it off with a bit more.

Cheers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the 31 gallon tank. Only got to E light one time so far but it came on exactly at 50 miles to go. Refilled immediately and it took 24.747 gallons. The needle read slightly below 1/8 tank and the computer was reading 16.8 mpg.

The only other time I was that low (1/8 tank), the light was not on and it took 24.980 gallons. The computer read 16.9 mpg. Note - those were all highway miles. It’s been more “normal” around 14-15 mpg otherwise.

Just so we are all on the same page, the BEMM states the 31 gallon tank is actually 30.5 gallons (115 liters) and the 25 gallon tank as 25.1 gallons (95 liters). Only a 5.4 gallon difference between the tanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The consistency for inconsistency is reassuring. At least not something to worry about taking to a dealer at this point.

I've always used the trip odometer as my fuel gauge in other cars, and have been suspect of any car that shows a miles to empty indicator (my Subaru switches to "--" at 30mi remaining, which I thought was reasonable), so I'll keep doing the same in the Transit. Our Honda minivan can have the remaining mileage badly skewed by (at least) the prior 15-30min of driving ... go up a long mountain pass and it'll tell you you're on fumes at the top, but then read way optimistic at the bottom before it eventually settles on a reasonable number, and I'll expect the Transit to behave the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts