Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group, I'm new here, first post. I want a new low roof Transit. It's the only one that will fit in my garage. I'm still undecided on Crew or Passenger w/o rear seats.
So this is what happened. Two weeks ago I emailed my local Ford Dealer Internet Sales Manager telling him that I was interested in ordering a 2023 Transit Van. He wrote back telling me that he would let me know when the order banks for the 2023 opened up. Well, yesterday he wrote back telling me the order banks are open and asked me when I would like to come in. This is what he wrote in his e-mail, " I have good news for you! The order banks have opened on the Transit vans. I've been informed by my manager that due to Ford alloting us a couple to order we will be adding an additional $5000 (market adjustment) to the final build price. Please let me know if you're ready to come down and place your order or if you have any questions."
My questions to the group: Has anyone encountered this up-charge when ordering new in previous years? Is there something different about the 2023 Transit...Do you think they are expecting a short supply or something else and that's why they are marking them up? I want to support my local dealer, but this extra $5k is making me re-think everything.
Should I start shopping other dealers?

· Registered
1,923 Posts
From following along for a couple of model years, I would say there are plenty (the vast majority) of dealers who are selling newly placed customer ordered vans at MSRP (and a few who are below). I would find one of those, pronto.

The "Market Adjustment" prices I have only seen on existing vans. In other words, hey, we have this fancy Transit ON OUR LOT and you can buy it and drive it home today for X Market Adjustment. This is somewhat distasteful to me, but at least it's on a something unique: A van you don't have to wait for.

Since your local dealer obviously has no interest in supporting you, I would hightail it to one who does. I would not even try to work with them as they have shown you who they are and you have nothing invested in them that would make you need to try to work further with them.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I think the 2023 ordering window was already open when you first contacted them a couple of weeks ago. So what's up with that?

· Registered
2019 250 148 mr
913 Posts
This is not a good time to be buying any car, new or used. The market has gone a little nuts what with shortages, inflation, etc. Transits are in short supply for a variety of reason, and demand is high. Many dealers use those market variables to gouge customers by charging over msrp.

You can look around at other dealers, but good luck.

Even when the market isn't screwed up, you always get a better deal buying off the lot rather than ordering.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
Even when the market isn't screwed up, you always get a better deal buying off the lot rather than ordering.
But I would say it's the reverse now, at least for Transits (and probably some other vehicles): It's a "better deal" to buy new than to buy off the lot.

eg: Ordering a new van (say $55k) vs. buying that same new van off the lot ($55k + Market Adjustment = $??? maybe $65-70K for same van?).

As far as "before," a friend of mine buys new cars pretty often. Granted, he's not the type to be looking for the best deal above all else, but in 2018 when he bought a new F-150 (and it was toward the end of the model year even) there was not much savings to be had buying one "on the lot" that wasn't 100% what he wanted vs. ordering exactly what he wanted. Granted, he had to wait six weeks for the ordered one :)rolleyes: ha ha, that seemed so long then).

Similar experience with a Subaru in 2015. In that case he did buy off the lot but there was no big discount even though the 2016's were going to arrive pretty soon.

I'd say it's the same for newish used right now (better to buy new).

eg: You could order a new 2022 AWD Transit reasonably "loaded" for mid-high $50,000 price range. Try buying a used one for anywhere near equivalent value right now (I haven't seen one or I might consider a lightly used 2018-2020).

Maybe it's different in different regions though - this was mostly in the W/SW. Also I'm sure it varies a lot by car brand/model.

Back to Transits though: I would say the best deal right now for anything "nearly newish" is to buy new with a custom order (COVP program). Just not from that dealer!

· Registered
2019 250 148 mr
913 Posts
In a normal market, you would probably pay close to msrp to order anything. If you find something that's been sitting on the lot for a while, you could generally get a discount as the lot cars are floorplanned.

I've been out of the biz for a few years, so it's possible that some manufacturers and dealers aren't using the Floorplan model. But back then, buying what they had on the lot was always good for some sort of discount.

Marking above msrp in the current market is all over the place. Some dealers do it a little, some dealers don't do it, some almost double the price of the car if it's popular enough and in short supply. The ceo of Ford is pretty pissed about some of the dealer markups on Broncos and Lightnings.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
CVM will order you one for under invoice. Tell that dealer to pound sand.
Under invoice? That's pretty impressive and I can see why so many are ordering through him.

Edited to add: It was corrected further down in this thread that Mclovin16 meant to say "under MSRP." That is good but is not the same as under invoice (which would be downright amazing these days).

· Registered
1,923 Posts
Sounds like you have more experinece with new car buying in general than I do.

Marking above msrp in the current market is all over the place. Some dealers do it a little, some dealers don't do it, some almost double the price of the car if it's popular enough and in short supply.
I just hadn't seen this "Market Adjustment" specifically on a Transit you were just sitting down to order. I have seen it on ones that are on the lot, available to be snapped up "Today!" And there is certainly a huge market adjustment on newish used Transits (dealer or private sale).

But OP's dealer quoted a "Market Adjustment" price just to sit down and custom order a non-existent van (!) I don't think that's common at all and suggest OP find one of the many dealers who will place an order for MSRP (common) or lower (maybe).

· Registered
205 Posts
Hello Group, I'm new here, first post...I've been informed by my manager that due to Ford alloting us a couple to order we will be adding an additional $5000 (market adjustment) to the final build price.
Welcome to the group Revilozone 😀 Could you please give us the name of this dealer and where they are located.

· Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
323 Posts
Look into the Costco auto buying program.
Don't because unless Costco has changed things in the last year they don't guarantee that the dealership will honor the price at the time of the order (it's based upon what Costco has negotiated at the time you take delivery) and not even guaranteed that they will participate when you take delivery, so unless they will give you a written price in writing that is not based upon their Costco auto program participation, I would not go that route. For pre-COVID when dealers had ample inventory on their lots, it was a great program.

· Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
323 Posts
" I have good news for you! The order banks have opened on the Transit vans. I've been informed by my manager that due to Ford allotting us a couple to order we will be adding an additional $5000 (market adjustment) to the final build price. Please let me know if you're ready to come down and place your order or if you have any questions."
Allocations don't seem to matter for factory orders in 2022 as long as those orders are submitted through COVP. Parts availability seems to be the biggest driver. I got my van built ordering from a very small dealership in my hometown. Meanwhile CrewVanMan only got a little over half of his orders fulfilled despite having sold about 100 Transits in 2021.

There are thousands of dealers in the US that will order you a Transit at MSRP. Go find one of them. YAA has a list of auto dealers not doing markups. Call around and just ask if they will factory order a Transit at MSRP and give you a signed order that locks in price.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Could you please give us the name of this dealer and where they are located."

-- I don't know if I want to do that just yet. I have an appointment with the local Ford Dealer Monday morning. I'll see if I can talk them out of the up-charge.
Since I posted, I already chatted with another Ford dealer 65 miles away. They told me they do not mark-up MSRP, but claimed that they do a Dealer Add-On
of $1698 Desert Protection Pkg (tinting, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection)

· Registered
1,146 Posts
Don't because unless Costco has changed things in the last year they don't guarantee that the dealership will honor the price at the time of the order (it's based upon what Costco has negotiated at the time you take delivery) and not even guaranteed that they will participate when you take delivery, so unless they will give you a written price in writing that is not based upon their Costco auto program participation, I would not go that route. For pre-COVID when dealers had ample inventory on their lots, it was a great program.
IF what you say is true, that would be bad news. But I would need proof. What you describe does not sound like the way Costco typically operates. I bought my last two vehicles using Costco, and it was fantastic. The latest was a 2022 Transit.

· Registered
205 Posts
"Could you please give us the name of this dealer and where they are located."

-- I don't know if I want to do that just yet. I have an appointment with the local Ford Dealer Monday morning. I'll see if I can talk them out of the up-charge.
Since I posted, I already chatted with another Ford dealer 65 miles away. They told me they do not mark-up MSRP, but claimed that they do a Dealer Add-On
of $1698 Desert Protection Pkg (tinting, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection)
No worries 👍 That desert protection pkg is a rip off. I wish you the best getting your order in.

· Registered
2019 250 148 mr
913 Posts
They told me they do not mark-up MSRP, but claimed that they do a Dealer Add-On
Earth's atmosphere is 80% nitrogen. Charging you to fill up your tires with nitrogen would be like your water company charging you for rainwater.

Paint protection is a fancy name for a wax job.

These are pure dealer profit items. Refuse to pay anything for them.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
Agree with you @AzB. These "required" add-ons are infuriating (and of course they often play into safety or fear about your tires, your paint, etc.).

I was also considering a non-Ford pickup and contacted a dealer that had a vehicle In Transit that was available to buy. But they "had" to add on for dealer window tinting. I said, but I don't even want tinted windows -- regardless of cost -- and the vehicle is not here yet, so you clearly have not already tinted it, right? They wouldn't budge so I ruled that out. (They wouldnt even not tint the windows if I paid for it anyway - no idea what that's about.)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts