Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information for Transit upfit for the expeditor business. I am certain there are plenty of people who would like to go to the Ford Transit and get away from the MB / Freightliner Sprinter for a variety of reasons. I hope someone is already working on sleeper units.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Im not too familiar with sprinters, why would someone want to get away from a sprinter freightliner? what reasons are there?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
1. Get rid of the complicated diesel emission equipment. Gas engine is simpler.
2. Few service locations. Only Mercedes dealers with mother computer can service. Only a portion of Mercedes dealers work on Sprinters.
3. Extremely high parts replacement costs.
4. Overly complicated electrical system.
5. Poor manufacturers support.
6. Poor paint.

I have a Sprinter and will buy a Transit if it drives as well as the Sprinter.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
2. Few service locations. Only Mercedes dealers with mother computer can service. Only a portion of Mercedes dealers work on Sprinters.
6. Poor paint.

What he said. Plus after more than five years of proudly driving my Dodge Ram badged Sprinter around Detroit, I'd feel much more comfortable cruising the streets with the Oval than the Star.
The MB mystique is no more (at least not for me), no way would I ever consider a Mercedes passenger vehicle, so now that we have alternatives in tall Euro style vans why bother.
I still will though if the Transit seems like a step down from the Sprinter, but I'm sure hoping that it won't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm ready to ditch my Sprinter for good... Waiting to test drive the Ford before I choose between Ford and Dodge.

I'm 5'10" and took the Promaster on a long test drive... Very comfortable for my height. Definitely didn't LOVE the steering wheel position, but it wasn't horrible either. Otherwise, it was a nice running van.

Fingers crossed the Ford meets or beats those expectations, and with them nixing the E series, sounds like they're confident it will!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The Promaster steering wheel position reminded me of the T1N Sprinters (through '06)
My '08 NCV3 Sprinter was very comfortable for long high speed interstate driving, just like the E-150 I had been used to, and the tilt wheel that was never in the flat bus-like position was important to me in achieving that level of comfort and relaxation of the neck and shoulders.

·
Registered
216 Posts
6. Poor paint.

x2

i used a sprinter for work at one of my older jobs and this describes it pretty well. such a hassle. wasnt that reliable either

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now that Transits are beginning to arrive at dealerships and there is "some" upfit equipment on the Ford commercial site, where are the vendors to upfit the Transit for Expeditors? I know Hanvey, Bald Eagle, Midway Specialty and Morehead Design Labs are invested in the Sprinter , but do they not see the future staring at them? First to market usually gets the beach head established and the lions share of the business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts