Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be fun to have all the ex Sprinter owners as new club members.

Just list your sold Sprinter size and new Transit size. A short comment about why you switched should make interesting reading.

To start it off:

I had a 08 high roof 144" WB diesel Sprinter. Drove it for 56,000 miles.

Bought 148" WB high roof Transit with EB.

Wanted to get rid of the diesel, wanted more service locations, wanted better performance, wanted limited slip, wanted remote start, wanted to make 100 improvements to the conversion. Did not care about the lower fuel mileage.

Very satisfied with the change.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Had '08 170" Dodge badged Sprinter for six years before it was totaled. Replacement choices were Sprinter 4 or 6 cyl diesel, Promaster diesel or gas, Transit normal, turbo, or diesel.
So far I'm pretty sure I made the correct choice going with the 3.5 Transit.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My 118" T1N wore out. Got 12 years out of it. No complaints. The new Sprinters are larger than what I need and well documented to be untrustworthy. Not good for an independent contractor. The 118" Fiat would have been a great fit but, like the Sprinter, not something I'd want to trust my income to. Too bad. I was ready to buy one till I read all the horror stories. The Nissan has the same turning circle as my E150. Not happening. Parking that was like berthing the Queen Mary. GM is like Evil Corp from Mr. Robot only without any redeeming qualities or desirable product. For me the best van available was the 130" midroof Transit. Was not a complicated decision. Coming from my old Sprinter to the Transit was like a trip in a time machine. Wow. Impossible to convey in words how much nicer an experience it is to drive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sold my 2010 BD170R Winnebago Sprinter ERA LIMITED. We owned for 3 yrs, plus 60,000 miles. Did not enjoy having to drive three hours each way for service, especially when most service or repair was overnight, hotel etc. Weird but not all Mercedes Dealers service Sprinters. I wanted to get away from Diesel smell and price. Willing to lose MPG! I'm 6'4" and need a large bed, toilet, shower. I found on the lot, a 2015 TRANSIT,Tuxedo Metallic Black,350 HD Wagon, XLT Trim, 3.5lGTDI V6 Gas Engine, 6 spd Auto. Full Window, 15 seater passenger van. 10,360 GVWR, Duel Rear Wheels. So far have driven about 850 miles bringing her home. I passed the time, playing with all the high tech toys: 3.73 Limited Slip Axle, Preferred Equp pkg 302A, Charcoal Cloth 10 way power seats (front), Lane Keeping Alert, Back-up Alarm, Reverse Park Aid, Keyless Entry Pad, Trailer Tow package, Rear Window defogger, MYFORD Touch HD/SIRUS/NAV, Rear View Camera, Dual Heavy Duty Batteries, Securilock Pats, Running Board passenger sliding door. , Front Floor Mats, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Rain sensing wipers, Dual power mirrors, Floor covering carpet, Cloth headliner, Center console, 25.0 gal fuel tank.

Drove 850 miles so far and would not likely go back to a Sprinter. Ease of driving, power, the best.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Had an 04 rust bucket, sold it 560,000 miles on her:eek:. However I put 11 grand in her last year Including a new tranny and entire exhaust system

Only one advantage, my average MPG was about 22:), which does not even come close to all the expansive maintance and repairs. Example Sprinter turbo $3,200 vs. 3.5 turbo $500.00:eek::eek:

got the LR ext. 3.5 with the 3.31 gears, it has twice the power of the sprinter, with les than half the overhead cost. Its a no brainer

·
Registered
200 Posts
Traded a 2010 144 passenger van w/ 93k. Gone are the a/c bubble on the roof that was always a concern parking under trees while training dogs. Also gone are the uncomfortable times spent waiting at service and watching the 'other half' come and go for their service needs. No longer waiting for the next mechanical bomb.

Like the Transit drive. It seems more comfortable on the road - starting, stopping cornering. Still struggling with parts to make the rear whole after all the deletes with the rear air. But it's worth it to have a van that I can put in my garage and can tow my rv.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I didn't switch, i just bought both! (commercial vehicles, 2014 sprinter, 2015 transit)

The Sprinter has been great so far, and the (4cyl diesel) mileage is untouchable! Free MB dealer maintenance for 3 years, and we have a relatively local dealer that specializes in sprinters.

The Transit has a creamier ride and way more hp as pluses, but other than that, the Sprinter is top dog every where else....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I still have a 2004 Sprinter longest tallest cargo I ordered new. It has nearly 140,000 which some may think it is just getting broke in, but between rust and the ongoing repairs. Just dropped 2k on black death, still not right. I am hoping it is my EGR valve and not the turbo. I will find out next weekend if it is the EGR.

I plan on buying a medium roofed 3.5 Transit. I find it interesting that most haven't opted for the diesel. For me the expensive maintenance on a diesel has over shadowed the 22mpg. I would rather have an engine being sold in the most popular pickup in the US, in the F 150, than a brand new diesel available only in the Transit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I still have a 2004 Sprinter longest tallest cargo I ordered new. It has nearly 140,000 which some may think it is just getting broke in, but between rust and the ongoing repairs. Just dropped 2k on black death, still not right. I am hoping it is my EGR valve and not the turbo. I will find out next weekend if it is the EGR.

I plan on buying a medium roofed 3.5 Transit. I find it interesting that most haven't opted for the diesel. For me the expensive maintenance on a diesel has over shadowed the 22mpg. I would rather have an engine being sold in the most popular pickup in the US, in the F 150, than a brand new diesel available only in the Transit.

Had the same year, its most likely the EGR calve, they get plugged up from all the carbon, either take it out and clean it or replace it. Check engine lite should be on:(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had the same year, its most likely the EGR calve, they get plugged up from all the carbon, either take it out and clean it or replace it. Check engine lite should be on:(
Thanks I ordered a new gasket to try and clean it first. I figured a turbo either works or it doesn't. It will either work fine or it goes to limp mode and works fine after restart, or on the way home yesterday didn't go to limp mode but was under powered at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Thanks I actually did have a leak in that hose and replaced it. I thought that was it at first, replaced the turbo resonator, too but that wasn't it either.
I ordered a Transit when the front spring sagged on one side, I had black death on the #1 injector, the relay in the HVAC control went out and the AC worked when it felt like it, the SKREEM receiver started to balk in cold temperatures, making it necessary to try a couple of times before the start error went away, the tires were down to cords, the windshield had a crack up by the mirror, the rear doors were cracking around the latches, the fuel hoses were rotting out, the fuel pump was starting to spew from the loose bolt issue... You get the idea. When the Transit showed up I called a wholesaler. The thing ran like new though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks I actually did have a leak in that hose and replaced it. I thought that was it at first, replaced the turbo resonator, too but that wasn't it either.
Came from a 2004 Sprinter as well. I swapped the resonator for an eliminator pipe. Black death was avoided, by repairing an audibly leaking injector, before it could build up. Zero EGR issues with the van ever. Go figure. Entire exhaust just aft of the down pipe jettisoned itself from the vehicle at about 80mph. Replaced it with a straight pipe and a glass pack. Best move I ever made on that van. Revved to 4k, picked up a bunch of bottom end torque.

However, I too spent nearly 10k in the last year of ownership. If I didn't have a knowledgable mechanic on staff, it would have been more. Dealer attitude stinks. They are all crooks.

Happy with the big green Transit so far. Comfort is apples and oranges to the old Sprinter, love the Sirius Radio, leather seating (even though I put covers on), and the ride and handling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i went from a 2012 144" lo-roof sprinter to a 2015 lo-roof LWB 3.5 transit. traded the sprinter in at 63k miles, after the 3rd fuel system related failure under warranty tried to strand me down in mexico (DEF injector failed, took the catalytic with it. prior to that, an injector went bad, and prior to that, there was a problem with the common rail).

i loved how easy it was to change the oil in the sprinter. amazing. but i didn't love the 13 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic each time. nor did i love the 20k, $120 a pop, fuel filter replacements. i hated the way the sprinter drove on dirt roads. i also was driven near crazy by the creaks and rattles the doors made, from new.

the sprinter averaged about 21mpg for the life that i had it.

my transit is averaging an honest 19mpg for the first 20k miles, and i do not drive it very slowly. it's nice to have a van that can pass other vehicles, going uphill, at above 80mph and still accelerate hard enough to startle me. it handles better than the sprinter, the brakes are better, the transmission is better than the old sprinter 5 speed (but tha tnew MB 7 speed is like buttah!), and about the only things i think are not so rad on the transit are that the headlights aren't as bright, and the seat/steering wheel/pedal arrangement isn't quite as dialed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For fun, I just went to the Sprinter site and priced out a 170" 3.0 van equipped similarly to my Transit. It is 12k more than what I paid for my Transit. And there are some items that Sprinter still doesn't offer that the Transit does. Even the next time around for me, perhaps 5-7 years from now, Mercedes will have to really have the next gen Sprinters dialled in on price, performance, and reliability to get me to switch back.

Having said that, the next gen Sprinter, 2017 allegedly, is said to offer a 6 cylinder diesel with the 7G transmission. This was a major factor for me in the purchase of my Transit. I liked the Sprinters V-6, but the 5-Speed tranny was ancient. Why keep that tranny when a perfectly capable 7-speed backs up the little 2.1 engine?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Do any of you miss the extra length of the longest Sprinter, or the 6'-4" plus headroom?

It seems most negative comments are centered around engine/transmission reliability and or maintenance costs, plus also rust issues.

One post states the Sprinter is better in most ways except for lower power of diesel compared to EcoBoost.

Any Sprinter attributes you guys wish Ford had included in Transit design? I have to admit that to build a roomy camper conversion the longest Sprinter seems a better choice than any Transit. There is a lot to like about the Sprinter on paper. Too bad it doesn't offer a proven gasoline engine to keep it simpler.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts