Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
We are making ice-chest forced air cooler to play around with (in combination with roof fan and lots of insulation).

Check out Desertsun02 on youtube he has lots of cool ideas.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think swamp coolers require a water source in addition to the fan.
How much would be needed for on-going cooling, and where would it be stored in a van?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
the water is stored in a sump at the bottom of the swamp cooler, an electric pump circulates the water through a medium, air blows through the medium and produces cool moist air, excess water drains back to the sump. the sump has to be often refilled unless it is plumbed into the household water supply with a float valve in the sump.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
the water is stored in a sump at the bottom of the swamp cooler, an electric pump circulates the water through a medium, air blows through the medium and produces cool moist air, excess water drains back to the sump. the sump has to be often refilled unless it is plumbed into the household water supply with a float valve in the sump.
Understood, but how long can it run with just the water in the sump?
I guess I'm asking if this is really a practical solution for boondocking in dry warm climates.

Running out of water is no better than running out of battery, and I would guess one would not use gray water to feed the thing.

Stan

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
40 years ago i lived in arizona for a year, i had the roof mount plumbed to a water line, as well as a portable one used in the bedroom, as i recall i had to fill the portable twice a day with about 5 gallons of water.
as far as using it in the van i think all of that water sloshing around as you drive would make a mess!

part of my job was repairing the roof mounted swamp coolers on the grand canyon Bestwestern employee housing, those things were often full of mud from the dust storms and they still worked! so yes you probably could use any water source in them.

(an interesting fact: all the water at the grand canyon motels is recycled! fresh water has to be trucked in every day from Williams ariz. the water you took a bath in last night is used to flush your toilet in the morning.)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
swamp cooler are Very effective in dry climate and can
get about a 20 degree temp drop in good conditions -

Im getting a portable swamp cooler for use in desert areas
and have been reading reviews for coolers but have come to
realize that the majority of the people leaving negative comments
dont know how to use this type of cooler (windows slightly open)
and are using in the wrong climate (humid )

so its making finding a good cooler a bitch -

there are a lot of coolers that look like they will be a good size
for a van and likely overkill -

to evaporate 1 gram of water requires 540 calories of heat -
melting 1 gram of Ice requires 80 calories -

evaporating 1 gallon of water = 2043900 calories - or 8110 BTU

new pad design that looks like corrugated cardboard work Really Good

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do Air Coolers require a lot of electricity to run?
Air coolers are much more economical than conventional air conditioners (about 10 times) and consume a little more electricity than a conventional incandescent light bulb - 70-150 W.

Evaporative air conditioners and coolers have an original and simple design, therefore malfunctions and breakdowns are extremely rare.

An air cooler can be installed both outdoors and indoors. In the second case, there is no need to close windows and doors, as when the air conditioner is operating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts