Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all I did a webasto fuel line install(tapped into the gas tank to install the webasto fuel line), and now I’m getting an Evaporative emissions leak. I went through and put everything back together the way it was supposed to be, but maybe I made a mistake down the line. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue after installing a heater or if there’s a chance it’s unrelated?

Also I had a trip planned to go camping about 100 miles away, would driving the van around this way cause damage to anything if I can’t get it sorted out before then?
White Light Product Motor vehicle Gadget

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Given it threw the code subsequent to installing the fuel line, that seem highly likely the cause or something that was disturbed during the install. It could be the seal on your fuel line connection to the tank, but could also be something that was damaged/displaced in the install process, like a vacuum line for the vent or purge valve that got damaged. In the case of the Transit, can't be a loose gas cap. So yea, it would be a good idea to find the leak.

Other that a really bad fuel line to tank seal (or a puncture above the fuel level) where gasoline could slosh out, nothing is likely to go boom. I know on older cars, evap malfunction is not something that could cause any engine damage. Just going to pollute a bit of fuel vapor. But I am clueless if a "modern" vehicle is any different. Heck who knows if it could do something silly like go into a limp mode eventually if not addressed. I'd sure hope not. Maybe someone with better specific knowledge will chime in.
Thanks for the reply! Dreading pulling the whole **** thing apart again but seems like that’s the only way out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a stored code in memory. It may take a few drive cycles for it to remove itself.
Meaning if I did end up getting everything back together successfully there is a chance that just the act of pulling the tank down and putting it back up could have caused that code? I actually haven’t driven more than like 30 miles since this all happened so probably not enough time for it to cycle through.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a check valve in the Webasto line? The fuel tank is under vaccine while driving. If it doesn’t pull vacuum it throws an evap code.
There’s no check valve just a fuel filter. And I haven’t fired the heater up yet so it hasn’t pulled fuel through the lines yet. Could that cause the code as well?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out there was a seal that wasn’t properly on, and once that was resolved the EVAP code went away. I still haven’t ran my webasto line to pull fuel through the system so I’m sure that wasn’t it, if anyone else runs into this issue!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts