Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article about the F150 EV revealed that FMC already is planning on releasing EV and PHEV Transits in the very near future.

Ford CEO Jim Hackett made the announcement at the Deutsche Bank Global Auto Industry Conference today:

“We are going to electrifying the F-Series with battery electric and hybrid and we are doing the same for Transit. We launched a PHEV version of Transit and that will be on a journey of electrifying Transit globally.”

However, this also falls under the "how to stop electric cars" gameplan: announce that you're "developing" and keep saying that year after year with no actual progress.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup-truck/

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Might be good for delivery vehicles, but.....

Everything I have read on them ( electric only ) so far is that would only have about a 125 - 150 mile range, so if you never plan to travel, they might be good. Otherwise you would be stopping to often to charge. :eek:

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would love an ev van. So many problems would be solved even though a few new ones would appear I'm sure.
I've spent 8163.00 on gas since 2015. I'm sure it would cost a fraction of that for electricity.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I have read on them so far is that would only have about a 125 - 150 mile range, so if you never plan to travel, they might be good. Otherwise you would be stopping to often to charge. :eek:

Semper Fi
PHEV has a gas engine as well as electric motor, it's a hybrid. Unlimited range as long as you stop for fuel. And will run on electric only for 99% of the public, who drive less than 50 miles a day.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's an article about a guy who drove a Tesla 4000 miles across the country, I think he spent $120 total at supercharger stations. And there are also places where the charging is "free", but not as fast as a supercharger; he only used the Tesla supercharger stations and bought his electricity though. Electric fuel is way cheaper per mile than gas/diesel now. Most people care about their wallet first and foremost, so the death knell has been sounded for internal combustion passenger vehicles.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
PHEV has a gas engine as well as electric motor, it's a hybrid. Unlimited range as long as you stop for fuel. And will run on electric only for 99% of the public, who drive less than 50 miles a day.

SB,

You are correct, my bad, I was thinking only of the EV's when I posted. I've corrected it.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Ahhmmm.....Tesla's Semi EV gets 300-500 miles on a charge, and is a little bit larger than a Transit. Change is coming.

See tesla dot com slash semi

Ahhmmm.....would be relevant if we were on the Tesla forum, talking about 18 wheeler cabs, but my response is about EV and PHEV Transits. (which btw are the same milage range as Tesla cars)

Semper Fi

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing with the semis is that they are LARGE and can carry a LARGE battery pack.
Batteries are still the same technology as 100 years ago, just with different components giving marginally better storage at lower weight.
For an electric vehicle to have same range as the average gasoline engine vehicle (300-400 miles) it needs a bigger battery pack. Which weighs more, so doubling the size of the battery does not double the range.

It's far cheaper per mile to use electricity than gasoline or diesel. An article I read by a guy who has driven his Tesla3 26k miles says he spent less than $600 on electricity; a 30mpg gas car would be over $26k including oil change costs.

I've been saying for the last couple decades that as soon as it's CHEAPER to own and use electric cars they will dominate the market, and that time has come.

Who cares where the electricity comes from? Power plants are centralized and it's easier to contain or treat the emissions if they burn coal or natural gas. MUCH better than 50 million mini-polluters roaming everywhere. And much of the power today is made with hydro, nuclear, wind and solar. Coal is getting more expensive to get, because we've already mined the easy stuff. Same with crude oil.

OH! A lab just announced their invention that extracts hydrogen out of tar sands, providing just as many joules of energy as the crude oil that would be extracted, while not emitting carbon into the air. Hydrogen burns clean, so power plants at tar sands locations might be the new cheap energy. MUCH easier to ship electricity on power lines than to truck/train/pipe crude oil to a refinery, then truck/train gas to stations.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
EV, PHEV and combustion engines will soon be...

I have a friend who has received 3 patents, including an international patent, for an entirely new classification of propulsion engines for vehicles.

No gas, no batteries to charge, no need even for an engine compartment.

He has explained the whole system to me but it is way over my comprehension, it is Star Trekish. He first explained his invention to me many years ago and now he is getting closer to the end with the receiving of the U.S. & International patents and acceptance that his invention actually works. Has already drawn interest from major EV manufacturers. Small modules that sit in opposition to each other where additional modules can be added depending on amount of energy needed.

No more dependance on fossil fuels to drive or even power your house. Just hope someone doesn't buy him out and then buries the technology.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not trying to be a dick, I don't know what your friends invention is, but I have to tell you that having a patent does not make it a good idea, nor does it make it feasible even if it is good.

Secondly, a patent can be so narrow that it gets granted but doesn't actually protect the design.

I look at patents that doctors have many times a year, most are useless garbage that unethical companies "license" which is code for bribing the doctor to use their product on patients. My company only licenses useful patents from doctors, which means we license none.

Sorry, totally ot, but figured I'd share.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of my interests in EV/PHEV is the aspect that you have the option of making your own "fuel" at home. Not as efficient or cheap as getting it off the grid, but it IS an option, unlike making your own gasoline at home...

I guess it's the independent in me that does not like to totally rely on industries and their whims and profit margins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...and most likely it will have an electric air conditioning compressor.
Will make it a lot easier to stay cool overnight in hot/humid weather.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
One of my interests in EV/PHEV is the aspect that you have the option of making your own "fuel" at home. Not as efficient or cheap as getting it off the grid, but it IS an option, unlike making your own gasoline at home...
Once, In the military, We boiled Gasoline on an open charcoal fire. It did not ignite until we wanted it to.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once, In the military, We boiled Gasoline on an open charcoal fire. It did not ignite until we wanted it to.
I knew someone who added an extra gas tank added to their 60's suburban. It was right next to the exhaust pipe and would cause the gas to boil on long drives. They eventually moved it away from the exhaust pipe.

Did you add carrots and onions to the gas once it reached boil? How did it taste?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts