Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Espar airtronic d2 under the passenger seat today. Hook up to the auxiliary fuel port on top of the tank is exactly as described in the BEMM. Of note, after running your tank empty so it is light and easy to lower, don't get frustrated that no fuel is getting to the heater... The tank is empty!

Attachments

· Registered
765 Posts
Nice, I think you're the first on the forum to install one. Looks like there's plenty of room under the seat.
JP

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice!
Did you use the optional muffler? I read where they are too loud without it.
Curious where you routed the exhaust and how stinky is it?
I'm concerned about noise and fumes in a crowded campground.
Would love to hear one running in person- may have to go stalk truck stop lots in cold weather...

When you added the straw to the fuel tank does it slide in through the port or does the whole pump/sending unit plate come off to put it in from below?

Curious too as to the length of the straw- it should be short enough to stay off the bottom by several gallons so one can't disable the van by running out of fuel.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did install the muffler. The loudest part is the click of the fuel pump, but the furnace burning is audible. I guess it depends on your tolerance for noise if it is too loud. The straw feeds in from the top and the quick connect snaps over it. It does not reach the bottom of the tank. The heater is starved with about 1/4 of a tank remaining.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Thanks, you pushed me over the edge- I ordered my D2 with installation kit today.;)

I was a little confused shopping online for it- apparently Espar has changed their name to Eberspacher.....

I think this is a great way to go- traditional RV LP heaters have risen in price to not much less than the D2 and I really didn't want to be tied to carrying a portable LP tank around nor did I want to penetrate the side of the van.
If an installed LP tank is figured in the price is WAY higher than the complete D2 system.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Ordered my Espar D2 with installation kit and muffler yesterday, and it arrived today! I was kind of doubtful it would arrive overnight for only $40 shipping- the only option they offer.

BTW it came from Great Britain!

Best price I've found anywhere $747 delivered. heatso.com

Note the price varies daily based on the exchange rate- it was $745 this morning and is $747 again right now, not bad for over $1500 list.

Oh and it will fit under the passenger seat even with the jack there- sweet!

Reactions: rondo

· Registered
522 Posts
Nice, I think you're the first on the forum to install one. Looks like there's plenty of room under the seat.
JP
JP, I see you have the Ecoboost. The Espar Airtronic D-2 and D-4 heaters are diesel fired heaters. The Airtronic B-1 and B-4 are gasoline fired. The gas fired heaters are quite a bit more expensive than a comparable diesel model.

· Registered
765 Posts
Yeah, I've priced the gas ones, over $1k. I don't think I'll go that direction. So far most of my camping is at campgrounds with electricity and my little ceramic heater is awesome.
JP

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Finished my D2 install today- man that was a lot of work! Could probably do another one in 1/3 the time now that I've done one.
Pretty sweet- not too loud as I had feared, comparable to a regular LP RV furnace or water heater. I did use the Espar exhaust silencer- I think I may make something to quiet the intake sound a little- that is easier since that side doesn't get hot- could be made out of PVC pipe.

I also determined the Transit tank when 1/4 full and with the front on 8-10" ramps- the aux fuel straw is apparently above the fuel.
Even when I added fuel, the initial prime of the fuel line is tedious- the pump is very small volume. I used 5/16" fuel line from the tank fitting to the pump- takes a long time to fill that big of a line. There is a reason the factory Espar lines are very small! 1.5mm on output side, 2.0mm on input side if you use the supplied line.

· Registered
765 Posts
Ordered my Espar D2 with installation kit and muffler yesterday, and it arrived today! I was kind of doubtful it would arrive overnight for only $40 shipping- the only option they offer.

BTW it came from Great Britain!

Best price I've found anywhere $747 delivered. heatso.com

Note the price varies daily based on the exchange rate- it was $745 this morning and is $747 again right now, not bad for over $1500 list.

Oh and it will fit under the passenger seat even with the jack there- sweet!
Good prices on the gasoline version of the Webasto Airtop 2000st on that site as well. $890.43 plus shipping. That's the cheapest I've seen a gasoline powered heater yet.

http://www.heatso.com/webasto-air-top-2000st-2-2-kw-12v-heater-petrol/

· Registered
2,286 Posts
My install looks pretty much like the one in the first pic in this thread...except I shot the hot air duct straight out.
I did cut and redrill my jack bracket so it still fits under the seat beside the heater.
I have others but not sure how much I can upload due to the very small pic allowance on this site...

· Registered
1,221 Posts
... the factory Espar lines are very small! 1.5mm on output side, 2.0mm on input side if you use the supplied line.
The dealer that I visited told me that to prevent the very thin gas line from freezing in extremely cold climates Espar recommends threading their gas line in a rubber tube for more insulation.

Of course with your larger line you have already solved that problem.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
With winterized diesel it shouldn't be "freezing" or waxing up anyway..
The larger line is just maybe 3 ft or so to the fuel pump. The small 1.5mm goes all the way across the van from the fuel pump to the heater- but I did run a large portion of it covered with vinyl tubing for chafe resistance since I shoved it through a cross member.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With winterized diesel it shouldn't be "freezing" or waxing up anyway..
The larger line is just maybe 3 ft or so to the fuel pump. The small 1.5mm goes all the way across the van from the fuel pump to the heater- but I did run a large portion of it covered with vinyl tubing for chafe resistance since I shoved it through a cross member.
I did the exact same thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.