Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2017 Ford Transit 350HD Box Truck
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the details.
I bought a 2017 Ford Transit 350HD with the 3.7 engine and 6 speed transmission. Was used to haul rescue puppies across the country. Even though it has 250,000 miles on it, it's lightly used and you'd never know, allllllllll highway. There is nothing wrong with it and it's been serviced at the same dealer since new with zero problems

Works great for me on the flat roads of the midwest (Wisconsin), but after spending one month of quarantine building it out to be my new house 馃槉 I took it to the rockies.
Okay that's where the 200ft# of torque is an issue. Very slow with hazards on up the hills and just try to keep the RPM around 4,000/5,000 so we stay in the power ban without running too hot. Not actually that bad but would be awesome if I could do better and stop constantly downshifting even on little hills. So I bought a complete engine from a 2017 Ford F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost non 4x4 and I'm planning to swap over into the Transit.

Yes yes yes, I know, everybody thinks I'm crazy just like you do. But this is gonna be fun.

Considering that you can purchase this 3.5 EcoBoost in the Transit i'm wondering what's so different between the 3.5 transit and the 3.5 f150/navigator/expedition etc.
If I were an engineer I would try to do make as many parts work with a variety of different vehicles to save time and money in the R&D department, but that's just me.

I'm aware that I'll need different wiring harness, motor mounts, a different computer, find a place to hook up an intercooler and piping and I'll probably want a 10 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed I currently have.

But let's dive a little deeper, I'm seeing in other parts of this forum that the connecting rods and block are different between the two and the f150 is able to make more horse and torque. Neat I suppose if it's true and if this swap will actually work. I'm also seeing posts about injection porting being different?

Super curious to hear the feedback of this group, seems like you guys know what you're talking about.
What problems will I run into? Perhaps I need to get a 10 speed transmission from an F150, maybe even the computer and wiring harness?
Would using F150 parts make this swap easier?

Lastly, yes I could've found a transit 3.5 EcoBoost engine but those run around 3,000-5,000 and I was able to swing by and snag this f150 engine from a rear impact truck with only 40,000 miles on it for a price I couldn't refuse. It ran just fine and I'm excited for this adventure.

So, what say you?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: I see that the 2017 F150 is technically a gen 2 with 375 horse and 475 torque. Not entirely sure what has changed but more power, yay!
Now with that news I'm thinking I'll have to go with F150 computer, transmission and wiring harness.

I was also able to find that if you purchased a transit with the EcoBoost your engine number would be FS 364 AA, the engine number from the 2017 F150 engine is HS 364 AA.

Registered
I look forward to reading about the swap. I was just reading about Suzuki Samurai engine swaps this morning (instead of getting a side-by-side UTV with a plow, I'm thinking of getting a Samurai and putting a snow plow on it, cuz added benefit of being street legal).

But, would this 3.7 to ecoboost really be considered an "upgrade"? It seems more like a "change".

Registered
I say go for it. I'm sure some real mechanics will weigh in here with some advice. I would think that your best bet to get all of the components and electronics to work together would be to find a wrecked Transit with the engine and tranny you want and keep all of the components and wiring harness together for the swap. If you piece it together you might have a nightmare of throwing codes and problems.
Engine swaps and camper vans go together like peas and carrots. 馃槈 Below is the required photo you must post when you put a Subaru engine in a VW Syncro camper. I also had a so-slow-as-to-be-dangerous engine setup (about 75 hp or so) and more than doubled that with the Subie. Also got better mpg. Plus, it was fun to pass other VW campers at high speed on mtn. passes.

engine swap.jpg

Registered
It鈥檚 possible but I would definitely use the trans from the f150 since the ecoboost engine is gen two and then you will have a factory drivetrain setup

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I look forward to reading about the swap. I was just reading about Suzuki Samurai engine swaps this morning (instead of getting a side-by-side UTV with a plow, I'm thinking of getting a Samurai and putting a snow plow on it, cuz added benefit of being street legal).

But, would this 3.7 to ecoboost really be considered an "upgrade"? It seems more like a "change".
I suppose you could say it's a change but it's going to be double the torque and 50% more horsepower so to us it's going to be a massive upgrade 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I say go for it. I'm sure some real mechanics will weigh in here with some advice. I would think that your best bet to get all of the components and electronics to work together would be to find a wrecked Transit with the engine and tranny you want and keep all of the components and wiring harness together for the swap. If you piece it together you might have a nightmare of throwing codes and problems.
Engine swaps and camper vans go together like peas and carrots. 馃槈 Below is the required photo you must post when you put a Subaru engine in a VW Syncro camper. I also had a so-slow-as-to-be-dangerous engine setup (about 75 hp or so) and more than doubled that with the Subie. Also got better mpg. Plus, it was fun to pass other VW campers at high speed on mtn. passes.

View attachment 136962
That's awesome! I'm committed to making it work. One way or another it's going to happen.
Your van rocks, nice job on the swap, that had to take a couple minutes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
It鈥檚 possible but I would definitely use the trans from the f150 since the ecoboost engine is gen two and then you will have a factory drivetrain setup
Excellent advice and my thought as well. Now to find a 2017 F150 non 4x4 transmission.
eBay here I come

Registered
Nice rig. Regarding an engine swap there are a few posts on this subject as well as differences in the F150 engine.

Read this thread:

I did some research a while back on using a F150 3.5 ECOBoost engine, Even though the engine long blocks are the same, it will be a lot of work to swap all the accessories. Plus there is no guarantee that the 3.7 accessories on your engine will match up with the F150 and be compatible with a 3.5 Twin turbo. I believe too that the late model F150 twin turbo engines are mated to a 10R80 10 speed auto trans - so flex plate, and possibly starter could be different. Timing sensor on the back of engine and crank reluctor should be the same. They might have changed the oil pan, oil pick-up inside the pan, intake manifold, throttle body, exhaust manifolds.

If you are serious about doing this you should purchase the Factory Manual sets for the F150 truck your engine came out of, plus manuals that include all the electrical, and engine details for both 3.7 and 3.5 Transit engines. Simple things like the programming of the BCM, instrument cluster, and other CAN modules may become an issue if they are programmed specifically to a 3.7 engine configuration. Even though all of the OBDII messages are standardized, they often use different internal CAN messages to communice between modules. You may end up having to spend countless hours sorting this out. (One usually doesn't discover these details unless someone else has already done the swap, or you are the poineer and figure it out.)

Registered
Excellent advice and my thought as well. Now to find a 2017 F150 non 4x4 transmission.
eBay here I come
If you find the right, low-mileage transmission from a 4x4, the tail housings can often be swapped for a 2WD tail housing. I did this with a Dodge (Cummins) transmission project, but went the other way around (2WD to 4WD). Better yet, go back and get the trans from the same engine donor vehicle for simplicity.

Craig

Registered
Should go back and buy the whole (front of the) truck the motor came out of....

When I consider taking on a project like this I would open up 2 windows for the parts book, one for each vehicle. You can learn a lot by comparing the part numbers like the motor mounts, oil pan, exhaust manifold, harnesses, and other related parts to the swap.

I would think this would be easier using a Transit ecoboost and related parts....

Registered
eBay here I come
You do realize that 2017 on F150s uses a 10 speed transmission? (First one used in a Ford Truck) Trying to put in a different transmission will send you down a very deep rabbit hole trying to make the electrical control systems integrate with each other. (Even tying to use stock 3.7 transmision and mating it to and EcoBoost will likely be difficult. (Because the 3.7 vs. 3.5s have different HP ratings and torque outputs. They might be physically the same, but will have different shift points programmed into them, and there will be a lot of work to get the 3.7 trans to shift properly with the 3.5L

Registered
Still Looking!
I feel like it would be a lot easier for you to find a ecoboost chassis cab and swap your box over or find an ecoboost transit front clip. Nowadays there are so many microcodes to various sensors, eco, modules, bla bla bla. On top of that, your accessories, mounts, engine mounts possibly different, etc. I think it would just be a never ending parts hunt for you to go the f-150 route.

Registered
I feel like it would be a lot easier for you to find a ecoboost chassis cab and swap your box over or find an ecoboost transit front clip. Nowadays there are so many microcodes to various sensors, eco, modules, bla bla bla. On top of that, your accessories, mounts, engine mounts possibly different, etc. I think it would just be a never ending parts hunt for you to go the f-150 route.
On that note I feel it would be a lot easier to find a transit with a 3.5 EB and buy it and sell your van but what fun would that be 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
i would guess F/150-Transot swap your trying to do has got to be impossible, if it already had an ecoboost and you just swapped in the F/150 "burlier" engine i could see that happening with some success. Im just suspicious of compatibility considering this vehicle start life in ford europe and has been hacked to american standards and multiple engine options.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts