Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Engine heaters and battery chargers

843 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  as3ffd
Howdy all! I am using my transit as a company supplied work van. It's a mobile office so I have PV panels and twin AGM batteries (soon to be replaced by deep cycle) and a 1200 watt inverter. I've done somethings to make it mine, I added a CB, installed the upfitter switch harness, and added some Harbor Freight special air horns. My next project is to add a circulating engine heater but I'm stumped by how they are installed and if it's even possible. I will also be adding an on-board battery charger for the house battery when it's parked over the weekend. I have a constant 2.5 amp draw with 4 cameras with IR, a cradlepoint modem (think supercharged mobile hotspot), and a NVR for said cameras.

I'm hauling around a loaded toolbox/workbench to my worksites, and the van is idling all day Monday to Friday. I treat the maintenance schedule as severe duty on the manual. Oil changes every 4,000 to 5,000 miles with syn-blend.

So I guess my question is has anyone installed a circulating engine heater or just a cartridge heater? Please don't say /argue"modern engines don't need heaters" as this is more for preheating the coolant for my comfort and no concern for the engine at all. I've used a frost plug heater on a F-250 6.2 with decent results but I'm curious about the circulating type.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Howdy all! I am using my transit as a company supplied work van. It's a mobile office so I have PV panels and twin AGM batteries (soon to be replaced by deep cycle) and a 1200 watt inverter. I've done somethings to make it mine, I added a CB, installed the upfitter switch harness, and added some Harbor Freight special air horns. My next project is to add a circulating engine heater but I'm stumped by how they are installed and if it's even possible. I will also be adding an on-board battery charger for the house battery when it's parked over the weekend. I have a constant 2.5 amp draw with 4 cameras with IR, a cradlepoint modem (think supercharged mobile hotspot), and a NVR for said cameras.

I'm hauling around a loaded toolbox/workbench to my worksites, and the van is idling all day Monday to Friday. I treat the maintenance schedule as severe duty on the manual. Oil changes every 4,000 to 5,000 miles with syn-blend.

So I guess my question is has anyone installed a circulating engine heater or just a cartridge heater? Please don't say /argue"modern engines don't need heaters" as this is more for preheating the coolant for my comfort and no concern for the engine at all. I've used a frost plug heater on a F-250 6.2 with decent results but I'm curious about the circulating type.
Did you end up getting this installed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts