Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Seems like a quick drain on the battery bank but maybe someone has come up with a solution to this. I only have 200 amp hours of battery, how long can I run an electric heater before I stress out my battery bank? How small an electric heater has any found out there. I dont plan on being too far north in the winter but even Arizona or Texas can get a cold night. I am trying to avoid propane or gasoline or diesel heaters. I am thinking about fumes and fuel storage, space taken and it just seems electric heat is so easy, but maybe not viable. Any experience anyone can share will help me in my decision making process. Thanks
Electric blankets are no good... wires very evident.

Sunbeam makes a fitted mattress pad. Cannot feel the heating elements. Plus heat is UNDER you -- where you want it. Never get into a cold bed again. 20 settings and auto off (10 hours). Comes in all sizes: twin, full, queen and king.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
We have some eco-green-friendly-organic-fair trade-blah-blah down comforter at home that is way too hot for me. Even when the room gets down into the 40's at night I have a leg hanging out. With something like that, I have no problem sleeping in sub-freezing temps, but as mentioned, getting out of bed in the morning is a real challenge. I'm thinking the remote start, especially one that could be put on a timer, would be a good idea.

Maybe someone can arduino one to activate via thermostat and/or a timer. Interior temp gets below 40, it starts the motor (and you already have the heat and fan set at high). Interior temp hits 75 and it shuts down. Oh, is there a remote shut-off involved with the remote start?
The optional Ford remote start has a timer. Runs for 10 minutes and shuts off. Owners manual says thart can be changed to 15 minutes. Dealer did not know how to change the time. 10 minutes is too short even with the 750 watt electric baseboard heater running at the same time. I just push the remote start button a second time.

No need to heat the van interior during the night when you have a heating pad.

I have not been in temperatures below 20 degrees so do not know how well the system works at lower temperatures.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can you FEEL the wires or elements in the heating pad? I once bought a heated mattress pad for home use. OH, that was not usable, due to the stuff poking up at me.

You can feel the wires if you run your hand against the pad but we haven’t noticed it sleeping. You can also add a mattress cover over the heating pad but we haven’t found it necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I mentioned reducing your sleeping space and just heating it, here's a great way to do it:

https://www.privacypop.com/
Making a small enclosure to sleep may not work to reduce heating requirement. I thought that it would work so had insulated curtains made to enclose the bed platform.

Double wall curtains with 1/2" Thinsulate between the layers. Back curtain between bed platform and the rear doors from top of platform to the ceiling. Front curtain from top of the bed platform to the ceiling. When arranged for one person sleeping the "tent" is 27" wide between the curtains.

So far the results of testing last winter showed that the idea does not work. Thought I could retain some of the body heat and the heat from the heating pad inside the tent. Only a couple degrees warmer in the tent than outside the tent. Hard to believe it does not work much better. Will test some more this winter.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
BedJet, Bed heating and cooling.

https://bedjet.com/

A advert for it showed up on my Social media today.
I had looked at these, I am a very hot sleeper and struggle to sleep if its warmer than 70 degrees at night, I need something to cool in the summer as well as heat in the winter.

The problem with the Bed Jet in a van setting is that it draws 1500w, so ~140 amps through an inverter.

I think the better solution for a van is the ChiliPad (https://www.chilitechnology.com/products/chilipad-sleep-system) the older version draws 170w and the new version 140w, so roughly 13-16 amp through the inverter. I also think I would prefer the all over pad vs a blower at my feet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I came across this 600w dc electric heater, industrial grade designed to heat the back of border patrol rigs. It is a bit pricey, but sounds bullet proof. I have a van with the standard 150 amp alternator and am wondering if I could connect this heater to the starter battery just to run for an hour or so in the mornings with along with the cab heater, engine running, without overtaxing the alternator as long as I was not running any other van accessories off the starting battery at the time. I guess the heater would be pulling about 50 amps.

Any thoughts? I've been lurking here a while and just got a lightly used 2019 HR to convert. First post. Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
According to Ford you are not suppose to draw more then 30 amps from the 150 amp alternator/single battery.
But I have been drawing 50 amps to run a Sterling battery to battery charger while driving for 3 years without problems, So this heater should work for you while driving with the 150 amp alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
According to Ford you are not suppose to draw more then 30 amps from the 150 amp alternator/single battery.
But I have been drawing 50 amps to run a Sterling battery to battery charger while driving for 3 years without problems, So this heater should work for you while driving with the 150 amp alternator.
Thank you for that info!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you want the Ford OEM remote start, get it now. FordPartsGiant last week told me both uni and bidirectional Ford remote starts were discontinued. They had no other info and I didn't confirm with a dealer or other parts houses. I ordered a unidirectional remote start from Amazon.
If anybody wants a Ford remote start I would sale mine next year , I would recommend getting a aftermarket one though .

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I'll join this Zombie thread!

Elec heat takes a lot of juice, that's established. If you demand elec heat, there are ways to go about getting the required juice, the most practical being to run the engine while using the heater. Or you can get 400lbs of batteries and build them into a cabinet, and charge them every day somehow. Oh, and you'll need a 2kw inverter, or buy a DC heater.

On the part-time boondocking stage, the Mr Heater Buddy was on sale for $60 at Bi-Mart in Oregon. 9000 btu, 5.4 hours run time on high with a 1lb propane tank. I debated getting one, I already have a little Coleman catalytic that goes on a 1lb propane tank. The 18,000 btu Mr Heater Big Buddy runs for 11hrs for some unfathomable reason (probably on low setting, 4000 btu), has a blower, and is only a bit over $100. At about $2 each, the 1lb propane bottles are an acceptable expense for a non-freezing night. Auto-start with a thermostat would be ideal.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'll join this Zombie thread!

At about $2 each, the 1lb propane bottles are an acceptable expense for a non-freezing night.
In our area "Sports Basement" sells refillable 1 # cylinders for around $12.00. They take back the empties and give you a full one for free.

My 12 volt DC rear seat heating pad under a zero degree sleeping bag works very well below freezing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In our area "Sports Basement" sells refillable 1 # cylinders for around $12.00. They take back the empties and give you a full one for free.

My 12 volt DC rear seat heating pad under a zero degree sleeping bag works very well below freezing.
You really don't need a heating pad , your body puts out heat , three layers of cloths and then crawl in a sleeping bag and close it up completely , it's very important to close it up completely ! , wait 5 thru 10 minutes and you'd be warm even with a negative 30 degree Fahrenheit outside temp.
A problem will arise if you need to get up to go pee because anytime you even open up that sleeping bag slightly you'll get a extreme nasty miserably cold draft .

I used to turn the van on by remote start and get heat coming out of the rear heater core and fan , that takes too long so now I have a Plannar 44d heater that has a adjustable output and the highest setting puts out about 13500 btus , I crank that full blast and within 5 minutes I can crawl out of bed and go pee staying in front of the heater , when done peeing I crawl into the sleeping bag and turn the heater off or onto the lowest setting which trickles heat to near my battery , you could also plug a Hvac tube on to the output of the heater and then run the other end into your sleeping bag if you wanted too on one of those super cold nights were it could get down to around negative 40 degrees Fahrenheit, that type of weather that makes it seem like your walls disappeared.

The remote start comes in handy for warming up the van and getting the cab area warm so when I start to drive the vents are already blowing warm air but I do have to wait for around 15 minutes.

As far as electric heat?? I would forget about that unless you have access to shore power.
Electric heat and electric off grid cooking puts to much of a dent in your batteries.
Imo , I would only use a Mr buddy heater in a emergency or have around for a temporary backup , when I say temporary I'm talking 2--3 days max , I say this because they put out a lot of water.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts