Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 2011 E450 motorhome for a travel trailer and a 2017 Transit 250 with the ecoboost. I must say that the Transit towing the TT is a dream compared to the motorhome. The E450 was horrible to drive when I first got it. I added some drivability enhancements, but none seemed to help until I installed a rear track bar. That made it 10 times better to drive, but the Transit and TT are 10 times better still. And the ride in the Transit is so much nicer. The MH had a terrible ride, even with Bilstein shocks.

My MH towing my car weighed about 15,000 pounds, whereas the Transit and my TT are about 10,000 pounds. Plus, the TT has a slide out and I have a ton more room in side. I also get way more storage because now I have an entire van to store stuff in.

I get about 1.5 to 2 more MPG at the same speed, AND the acceleration is way better. The MH did ok, but you really had to put your foot into it, and climbing hills meant you either had to go slow or go loud as the engine would scream at 5,000 RPM while climbing most hills while maintaining speed. The Transit is mostly around 2,200 RPM while going faster that the MH.

I also can remove the propane tanks for refill, whereas the MH had the tank permanently installed.

Could never find any place to work on the MH when I needed it. Had to do most work myself.

The only thing I really lose is the second vehicle to drive away in if the MH where to die. But now I could just rent a truck and continue my trip if the van dies.

I have owned several diesels in the past, and I must say that the ecoboost pulls like a diesel. I am so impressed with that engine. Smooth, quiet, and powerful.

The dealer I bought the TT from did have a Hensley Hitch, and that completely eliminates all sway. You don't even notice you have a trailer and can easily do 75MPH in gusty winds without feeling the trailer. I highly recommend a Hensley or ProPride hitch if you are going to tow a conventional trailer. They feel like a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Heading the same direction. Great to read a positive review. Can I ask what you're towing? We've got a Lance 1475 @ around 3,700 pounds loaded. Our 2007 diesel Sprinter tows it OK, but needs more power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heading the same direction. Great to read a positive review. Can I ask what you're towing? We've got a Lance 1475 @ around 3,700 pounds loaded. Our 2007 diesel Sprinter tows it OK, but needs more power.
I have a Lance 1985. I think it is around 5,000 pounds loaded. I drove from Portland to SoCal last week and averaged 12.4 MPG. Of course California has the 55MPH limit when towing, so I was keeping my speed under 60. At 65 it was closer to 10.5 or so. What does your Sprinter get when towing?

The E450 had the V10 and 5 speed auto.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I towed a 12000 pound trailer with my F150 and EB 2.7. At first I was not happy with it, but I found by shifting manually at 3000 RPMs, it was very doable for the tiny engine. I was only towing the load less than 2 miles, not sure how this would work on a long trip?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Lance 1985. I think it is around 5,000 pounds loaded. I drove from Portland to SoCal last week and averaged 12.4 MPG. Of course California has the 55MPH limit when towing, so I was keeping my speed under 60. At 65 it was closer to 10.5 or so. What does your Sprinter get when towing?

The E450 had the V10 and 5 speed auto.
Sorry for the late reply. We get about 16.5 towing with the Sprinter diesel, and closer to 18 if I drive like a Saint on slower Oregon back highways with lower speed limits.

I did a hateful 700 mile day from Moab to Baker City that included a 20+ mph headwind for 500 miles. The headwind, combined with the higher freeway speeds, dropped us down to 14. It was only that high because I refuse to push our 2007 Sprinter too hard, so I was getting passed rapidly for the entire drive. We passed two Eurovans. All day.

Would have paid retail for your Hensely hitch that day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts