Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It's amazing that on every forum I've been on as soon as someone starts discussing EV cars the haters immediately start talking about cross country trips.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Spare tire is under the hood! Clever.

I'm most curious if this indicates that gas powered 2022 Transits will get a 12" screen and Sync 4. That seems like the only likely feature that could easily apply to all Transits.
The heavy duty 6,000-pound independent rear suspension could be adapted to gas-powered vans. If offered as an option at a reasonable cost, it may do well. It’s basic as IRS go, but a semi trailing arm suspension should improve ride, and may increase ground clearance at van center also. Having said that, ground clearance near tires looks worse on pictures than standard axle.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
118 Posts
It's amazing that on every forum I've been on as soon as someone starts discussing EV cars the haters immediately start talking about cross country trips.
To be fair, it's not just cross country trips, it's also interstate trips.

Range is a huge issue for many people. That, and the significant environmental impact to produce and power electrics en masse.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Another way of framing this would be: It's amazing that on every forum I've been on as soon as someone starts discussing EV cars the REALISTS immediately start talking about RANGE.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Some people are just confused about what they want or need. Almost as soon as the Transit was on the market some were complaining about it's lack of off road ability. Or it's crappy mpg. Or the "truck-like" ride (it IS a truck!). Geez, just get a Jeep, a Prius, or an Excursion if the Transit doesn't do what you bought it for! I suspect the people complaining about EV range in the Transit are also the ones whining about a lack of dual fuel tank option. Hint: maybe the E-Transit is not for YOU.

Note to manufacturers, here's what the majority of van owners want, according to the Transit forum:
Be able to stand up inside
enough room for two queen size beds, a full bath, a full kitchen, a lounge, a media room, parlor, mud room, office, with room left for 4 motorcycles
fit in a standard garage
get 30mpg
go 0-60 in 3 seconds
2500 mile range on one tank
4-wheel steering
60 degree approach/departure angles
5-wheel drive (spare activated, that's one wheel better than 4wd)
20" ground clearance
48" tires standard, 60" optional
interior and exterior fog lights, spotlights, lightbars, discoball
6 ton cargo capacity
Rear 20,000lb capacity hitch, front 20,000lb capacity hitch, side 20,000 capacity hitches
6 cupholders per person (up from the current 4.5 in the cab) large enough for Super Gulps
swivel seats adjustable in 5 dimensions
armrests
telepathically controlled clutchless manual transmission with AI to always be in correct gearing ratio for the conditions
32" dash touchscreen
electronic parking brake
side door escalator
MSRP less than $20,000US

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
More on the E-van front, Maybe Jeep should resurrect the FC series from the 1960's as electric. The platform would lend itself to being an offroad campervan. The wheelbase would allow the battery bank to be within the chassis, centered and low to make it super stable.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
118 Posts
Some people are just confused about what they want or need. Almost as soon as the Transit was on the market some were complaining about it's lack of off road ability. Or it's crappy mpg. Or the "truck-like" ride (it IS a truck!). Geez, just get a Jeep, a Prius, or an Excursion if the Transit doesn't do what you bought it for! I suspect the people complaining about EV range in the Transit are also the ones whining about a lack of dual fuel tank option. Hint: maybe the E-Transit is not for YOU.

Note to manufacturers, here's what the majority of van owners want, according to the Transit forum:
Be able to stand up inside
enough room for two queen size beds, a full bath, a full kitchen, a lounge, a media room, parlor, mud room, office, with room left for 4 motorcycles
fit in a standard garage
get 30mpg
go 0-60 in 3 seconds
2500 mile range on one tank
4-wheel steering
60 degree approach/departure angles
5-wheel drive (spare activated, that's one wheel better than 4wd)
20" ground clearance
48" tires standard, 60" optional
interior and exterior fog lights, spotlights, lightbars, discoball
6 ton cargo capacity
Rear 20,000lb capacity hitch, front 20,000lb capacity hitch, side 20,000 capacity hitches
6 cupholders per person (up from the current 4.5 in the cab) large enough for Super Gulps
swivel seats adjustable in 5 dimensions
armrests
telepathically controlled clutchless manual transmission with AI to always be in correct gearing ratio for the conditions
32" dash touchscreen
electronic parking brake
side door escalator
MSRP less than $20,000US
You have some really good ideas in that list. I would pay big bucks for seats adjustable in 5 dimensions.

·
Registered
372 Posts
From my perspective, Range and charging time are very important. I was reading in the Tesla forum a thread about a Tesla owner driving across the USA this past summer. He mapped out all of his stops across I90, planning 1/2 hour to 40 minute charge stops every 300 miles. Turns out many other Tesla owners had the same idea. There was often only one supercharging station available, with 2 hook-ups. He wrote that it ended up taking him 2+ hours at every charging station waiting in line for his turn to charge his car. Wrote that he lost 4+ hours of driving time per day, and his days became a lot longer trying to drive his planned distance per day.
With such a short range for the E-Transit, it better only take 5 to 10 minutes to charge the van, or many businesses in big cities with lots of miles to drive will have problems.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
People may be confused about what they want or need, but it’s easier to know what one definitely doesn’t want or need.

I use my van for long trips, often driving over 600 miles per day, and I am certain I don’t want to stop and recharge 5 or 6 times daily. An electric van doesn’t even come close to my needs.

However, around home it’s complete opposite. Practically all trips are less than 100 miles total so an electric vehicle is something I’ll consider for my next car. I think practically all charging could be done at home. We essentially drive all local trips in one vehicle, and take road trips in another.

Adding to Bill’s list of wishful wanting, how about a 6.8L aluminum pushrod V8? In large vans and small motorhomes, I doubt there would be that much fuel economy penalty compared to 3.5L EcoBoost V6. 😀

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Yep, the E-Transit is also NOT FOR ME and my driving needs. At least for about 20 days a year. And since it doesn't meet my personal needs, Ford shouldn't even bother making it.
I'm still waiting for Ford/Mercedes/Fiat/Hyundai/etc to release a full size plug-in hybrid van. Then I'd sit up and pay attention. Crossing fingers for the Hyundai H350 hybrid.

Thanks Chance, I forgot to add 10 liter V16 quad turbo as standard base model engine to the "must have" list from this forums' contributors.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I just want my van to no break and not overheat.

I don't understand the low range of 120 miles but this tech will cause more charging stations to open. Things take time but it's hard to understand the 1 hour charging gets you ten miles on a 240v outlet. So it's 12 hours from flat dead which I know it'll never be but imagine running your dryer 10+ hours a day above what you do now. Electric would certainly be higher on the bill.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I just want my van to no break and not overheat.

I don't understand the low range of 120 miles but this tech will cause more charging stations to open. Things take time but it's hard to understand the 1 hour charging gets you ten miles on a 240v outlet. So it's 12 hours from flat dead which I know it'll never be but imagine running your dryer 10+ hours a day above what you do now. Electric would certainly be higher on the bill.

I think the range is the sweet spot between adding more battery weight and meeting the needs of the vast majority of van buyers (urban/suburban delivery). The delivery hubs will all install on-site charging, likely at a negotiated lower rate, so the impact on public accessible charging stations will be minimal. I seriously doubt any fleet delivery companies would use an E-van to send packages hundreds of miles between delivery hubs, so all the public charging stations won't be filled with UPS trucks! anecdote: our Fiat e500 goes from less than 10 miles to over 90 miles in about 7-8 hours, on regular 120vac outlet and charger. If I had the 240vac charger, it might be half the time (80 miles is supposed to be max, but 'puter often says over 100 miles after charging overnight). I have no need to pay through the nose to buy a 240vac charger, since that car MIGHT be driven 50 miles a week. Unlike my van, which is usually 20-50 miles a day. But tomorrow I'm driving 550 miles.

some quotes:
"Originally Answered: how many miles per day does a FedEx or UPS driver drive on average? That answer varies from hub to hub, route to route. In my hub, there are several routes that average maybe 5 miles a day total, whereas the route I run averages 75-80 miles a day. "
"110-130 stops per day. 200-220 pieces. 7 pick-ups 40 packages. 110 miles a day.Oct 6, 2006 "
"On an average night, a driver travels 75 to 100 miles on deliveries, averaging four solid hours of drive-time mostly on residential streets. Of all places to drive, residential driving puts the most wear and tear on a car.Aug 8, 2008 "

Specs are 67kwh battery, Tesla S has up to 100kwh battery, but obviously has more range due to weight and aerodynamics. GM/Rivian are touting 180-200kwh batteries for Etrucks. At some point there is a diminishing return for battery capacity, which increases weight and takes up space.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts