Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't get it myself.
as a commercial operator myself, that range is downright scary.

In business, time is money.

126 miles? how about when fully loaded? when driving up hill? with AC on? it will drop to 100 or less

who has time to be tethered to a charger? and to hunt around for charging stations and wait for a charge? What if all the chargers are in use?

Looks great on paper, but I bet you real world operators would be disappointed.

Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unfortunately, it was exactly as I suspected. Taking beginner steps into the electric engine world. A 2020 transit gas engine transit for now and maybe a 2030 electric transit for me if/when its hits 350+ mile range.
Sidenote: Can us 2020 transit owners upgrade to those sweet 12" Sync 4 systems when they become available? Any idea @CrewVanManInfo ?
The 12 inch screen may be a plug-n-play setup. All would be based on how the plug in would be to make that change and hope the back of the dash is trimmed out for the larger screen.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ford was aiming at delivery vehicles and the trades. I think they will find a huge market for the vehicle. Not a vehicle for long distance travel as expected. Many more years of battery improvements before that can be accomplished.

Did note that the rear suspension is independent. That is interesting. Also 2400 watts of electrical power to be used at a job site. Ideal vehicle for a in town contractor. Ford will have a difficult time building enough to fill the demand.

There was no mention of the van initial cost. If too high the van will be difficult to sell no matter how much better it is for many users.

Looks like a home run if price is right.

Edit: Read where prices will start under $45,000. If so then Ford will have a capacity problem.
It will be Ford building fewer gas powered Transits in favor of the MORE PROFITABLE E-Transit!

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Again: the E-Transit is not for US, it's for fleets operating in cities.

Doesn't work for me, and neither does a 3-wheel Sparrow or an 18-wheel semi. I doubt Sparrow (which doesn't exist anymore) or Kenworth are going to bend over backwards to accommodate my needs, being that people like me would be less than 5% of their total sales.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
And seriously, is that goddam blue trim REQUIRED on all electric vehicles?! It's a trend whose time came and went in less than a year.

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good first cut.
Tesla differentiates with self driving capabilities.
Ford will need that soon.
Otherwise, good start, gets them more EV experience.
Expecting significant enhancements every year after.
And everything new not EV should be on the gasser.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When can I order one? This is exactly what I've been waiting for, range is well with-in my daily needs. C'mon Ford, Daddy needs a new business write off!!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We don't know how the production schedule for the 2021 model will go throughout the year. In previous years, we could order the NEW model in July and the first builds were after Labor Day. The last 2 years have been completely different with Amazon ordering so many vans in 2019 to delay the start of the 2020 production and then the virus closing the assembly plant for 2 months making the production for the current year going through December. The 2021 model year may be a short one if Ford decides to go back to their original dates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ford has a winner. Really impressed that with a really heavy Transit cargo, they will have the 126 miles of range. Which is mire, if I recall, that they tested in England the last two years.

Wish they would offer Plug-in version for people. Driving on dead ferns and dinosaurs really is ancient technology.
My plug-in Ford runs flawlessly. Hate when the ICE kicks in though.

Congratulations Ford. Version 1.00 is a really good start. Until one sees the price.
One thing though. Notice how the dude stressed repair costs would be much less. He basically told us all the Transit is a piece of junk. Surprised they didn’t edit that out.

Bill G.

·
Registered
417 Posts
note: I am a huge fan of Ford and the Transit as we own 4 of them. however.....

sorry, Im still not convinced,

it already looks "last generation" electric vehicle, and its not even released yet for 2 years.

the dismal range, along with it being basically a traditional Transit frankensteined to accept an electric power train. The traditional grill look of the current Transit is the clincher, must true E vehicles shun this. I can't see huge demand for this as there is nothing compelling about it.

Whenever current vehicles are modified to accept electric power trains, there are numerous compromises to accept the modified electric drivetrain to "make it work". We've seen this many times when automakers modify their current models to Hybrids and you can see they try really hard to install the additional components the original model was never designed for such as batteries and motors.

A true E vehicle needs to be designed from a clean sheet of paper. such as the upcoming Rivian van with 400 mile range.

This is Fords effort to toss their hat in the Electric van ring, good try, but perhaps a good stepping stone for the next E Transit.

Im out.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
118 Posts
A small diesel generator would make a great option for greatly increased range with maximum efficiency.

·
Registered
550 Posts
London's Ultra Low Emission Zones are expanding and other European cities are forcing manufacturer's to change.

I can't help but think Ford is trying to force something where the demand is untested (US) and no city is penalizing ICE, where as there is a cost penalty to the van owner in London and other European cities.

Comparing how Ford and Fiat are doing this, Ford is doing it globally and Fiat is doing it regionally. So the NA Ford owners are the guinea pigs and the European's are the guinea pigs for Fiat.

For comparison,
  • Fiat E-Ducato priced from £47,675 excluding VAT (after Government Plug-in Van Grant)
  • Range of battery options to provide driving range of between 99 and 192 miles (WLTP City*)
  • Takes a little over two hours to fully charge the 47kWh battery with a 22kW AC fast charger
  • With the 50kW DC Rapid charger both the 47kWh & 79kWh batteries can be charged to 80% capacity in 30 minutes
  • payload of up to 1,950kg and same load volumes as ICE Ducato – from 10m3 to 17m3
  • Firstly available in panel van, chassis cab and passenger configurations to follow in Q1 2021
  • All E-Ducato will benefit from the same 5-5-5 peace of mind aftercare as every Fiat Professional ICE vehicle – 5 year warranty, 5 year roadside assistance and 5 year servicing
  • E-Ducato battery covered by 10 year warranty
  • Ordering is now open with first UK deliveries expected in final quarter of 2020

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
One thing though. Notice how the dude stressed repair costs would be much less. He basically told us all the Transit is a piece of junk. Surprised they didn’t edit that out.

Bill G.
Repair costs are lower because internal combustion motors and all the attachments (water pumps, turbos, injectors, serpentine belts, radiators, air intake, sensors like MAF OXY etc.) are eliminated. ANY ICE engine is going to have these repair and maintenance issues, the Transit drivetrain so far has proven to be average or better in comparison to all other ICE vehicles, not junk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had multiple electric cars (even a converted MGB with 16 golf cart batteries @96v) I will agree maintenance costs (incl brakes because of the regen braking) is MUCH lower.. but if your electric car goes out of warranty and you need any piece of the traction battery or drive train replaced (many computers) you are going to be in for a $hock at how expensive it is.. I highly recommend extended warranties on electric cars.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
After watching this, I might opt for a cab/chassis version and put a good box on the back as a van replacement. 24mpg for a 4x4 is acceptable.

F150 hybrid

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Here's some piling on of what we've already determined:

21 - 40 of 52 Posts