Ford Transit USA Forum banner

E-bike rack

370 7
I'm trying to find a affordable bike rack to install on our 2020 Transit 250 high roof extended wheel base. We have two E-bikes which we'd like to take with us, but don't want to unload each time we get in the back doors. Thule makes a tilt back model but not sure it would give enough clearance to get in and out of rear cargo doors. I think Kuat makes a foldaway rack but it doesn't appear to be able to support the weight of an e-bike.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - got the (pricey) Thule EasyFold XT 2-Bike Hitch Rack last year for my factory
installed hitch receiver. To clear the doors, I had to put a 2 inch extender in the mix
to clear doors.
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3N2VDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Worked well. Only PITA is the blockage of rear proximity sensors. It is a RED ALERT when I put
transmission into Reverse. :)

Would recommend a cover for bikes too. Can get dusty back there.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,388 Posts
I'm trying to find a affordable bike rack to install on our 2020 Transit 250 high roof extended wheel base. We have two E-bikes which we'd like to take with us, but don't want to unload each time we get in the back doors. Thule makes a tilt back model but not sure it would give enough clearance to get in and out of rear cargo doors. I think Kuat makes a foldaway rack but it doesn't appear to be able to support the weight of an e-bike.
Is it worth trying to come up with a method to bring them into the back of the van without the back-breaking lifting? Or would you rather have them on the outside?

Curious because if you're allocating room for them back there anyway, maybe there's a lifting mechanism that could be implemented...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know it’s not your question, but, do you really want an expensive ebike on the back of your van?
You want an affordable rack option. Storage outside your rig makes you very vulnerable to theft.
I live in Portland where everything is very vulnerable to theft. Even your van.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The conundrum! Been on bikes 30yrs. Pickup beds to hitch mounts for transport. Biggest question is inside or out? I purchased a $60k van to haul my $10-$15k bikes inside. Started with van trays. Loved ‘em. Didn’t love the moving bikes in/out for bed. @6’2 need a long bed to sleep on. I owned the 1up bumper rack. Love it. I’ve accepted bikes might be outside at times. Purchased their RACKATTACK. Holy cow it’s like a brick shithouse. It’s nice cause it can swing either way. Yes it doesn’t open enough for doors to open all the way. This **** project is the first time, this 50yr old has had to make compromises for. Lol. 1up Racks, keeps bikes closest to back door. Currently bed is ,NOW at about 40” and now I’ve a garage,front wheel off, fork into a mount. IM CONSTANTLY IMPRESSED AT THE CLEVERNESS AND OUTRIGHT SMART PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM! Hope this helps
Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look at a brand out of Canada called Swagman. We'll built to withstand e-bike weight and the rack is very secure.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Side note:
I'm with Gallaher above that you may want to reconsider keeping them inside unless you are away from people.

I've had several friends that have had their locking hitch pins broken off and their bikes+rack stolen.
Here is a short video with 133k views showing how easy it is.

I'm with Gallaher above that you may want to reconsider keeping them inside unless you are away from people.
Either way, good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts