Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the benefit of having 2 batteries? Why would one choose to go that route rather than just the one that comes standard?

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,690 Posts
Lowers the likelihood of us killing them by pulling too much juice for too long (like from the DC-DC charging setup).
Allows the DC-DC to keep running and let the engine turn off when it wants to without worrying me much.
Acted as our house batteries when we first got the rig for a few months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you know you have enough to start the van after using it as a house battery? We have a van on order and just wondering how that would work?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lowers the likelihood of us killing them by pulling too much juice for too long (like from the DC-DC charging setup).
Allows the DC-DC to keep running and let the engine turn off when it wants to without worrying me much.
We are just planning on using it as a regular vehicle. We won't be making it into a camper or charging things when the van isn't on. Do you still think dual batteries would be wanted/needed?

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
We are just planning on using it as a regular vehicle. We won't be making it into a camper or charging things when the van isn't on. Do you still think dual batteries would be wanted/needed?
If you live somewhere cold or park it for more than 3-4 days at a time it might come in handy. It's just extra storage capacity. In your case, maybe just get the single battery and buy one of those lithium jumpstarters the size of a paperback to have just in case the battery runs too low to start for whatever reason.

Reactions: Wyocalm and asdrew

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you live somewhere cold or park it for more than 3-4 days at a time it might come in handy. It's just extra storage capacity. In your case, maybe just get the single battery and buy one of those lithium jumpstarters the size of a paperback to have just in case the battery runs too low to start for whatever reason.
We live in Minnesota, so it does get cold. We don't often leave it for more than a couple days without driving. We made it through 5 winters with our last Transit and never had any issues with the battery. Every little thing adds up, and I wonder if the extra $250 or so is worth it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you getting power sliding door? I think I recall reading if you have power slide door
dual batteries are good to get, more consistent opening and close speeds.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,690 Posts
Nope. No reason to at all. Pretty sure it hasn't really made much difference for us after we got the house system all up and going. Skip it. Similar for dual alternators if you won't be charging a sizeable house system.

Are you getting power sliding door? I think I recall reading if you have power slide door
dual batteries are good to get, more consistent opening and close speeds.
Sadly, no. The slowing down seems to be time based, not voltage based. 🙁

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I have been running a 60 amp Sterling battery to battery charger for going on six years with the single stock FLA battery,

When the battery wore out after five years I did replace the stock single 650 CCA battery with a 850 CCA battery for better cold weather starting. CCA = cold cranking amps

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Several options require the dual battery configuration. But you will see those in the order guide. Personally, I see it as an investment in reliable starts even with my solar trickle charging the starting batteries.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Adding your own second battery is about $150 and 1 beer (one beer=one hour labor). So, if you change your mind later it's no big deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts