Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My van does not have the electric heat.
Are you sure?

I have a 2015 250 and it has it.

See page 89 of your owners manual. Half way down the page under "Temperature Control" the last sentence says "Turn the temperature control knob to maximum heat to turn the auxiliary heater on". Suspect the fan must also be running.

No comment from Ford that some models do not have this feature.

The heater only works when the engine water is cold and the temperature knob is turned fully clockwise. It shuts off when the engine water reaches some set temperature. Do not know the temperature it turns off on the Transit.

My sold 08 Sprinter had the same feature. I had a Scan Gage on the Sprinter that displayed both water temperature and voltage. The voltage would jump from 13.5 volts to 14 volts when the heater turned off when the water temperature reached 145 degrees (if I remember temp. correctly). Very obvious when it turned off.

Sprinter required the Scan Gage because the 5 speed transmission would not downshift when it should. One other display was "load" which indicated the % load on the engine. It would peg at 99% and not down shift. If you manually downshifted the "load" would drop and fuel rate used would decrease. I do not miss that horrible transmission and enjoy the Transit 6 speed. Do not miss the Sprinter either.

·
Registered
672 Posts
We've been through this before. In fact, I didn't believe anyone had them until I found a part number that could be it.

My van does not have an electric heater.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We've been through this before. In fact, I didn't believe anyone had them until I found a part number that could be it.

My van does not have an electric heater.
Better off with remote start then that heater since you need to warm the engine up anyways
Example: cold winter morning there would be no sense in going outside and sitting in your
car when you can't/should'nt drive it until the engine and transmission is warmed up

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got my 2015 so haven't had time to check it out but the window sticker listed $100 auxiliary heater. Is this what is being discussed?

·
Registered
469 Posts
It makes no sense for all Transits to have a electric air heater of about 1000 Watts when
there is already a heater core and if you needed more heat simply add a xtra heater core.
Modern diesels are notorious at slow warming up in winter. Some sort of auxiliary heat is a must to defrost windows.

Sprinter required the Scan Gage because the 5 speed transmission would not downshift when it should. One other display was "load" which indicated the % load on the engine. It would peg at 99% and not down shift. If you manually downshifted the "load" would drop and fuel rate used would decrease. I do not miss that horrible transmission and enjoy the Transit 6 speed. Do not miss the Sprinter either.
Some sensor failed. That is why you were having the problem.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If it wasn't for it being pointed out here, I wouldn't know My 2015 wagon has the Aux heat feature, I tested it today to verify. I'll have to remember that if it ever goes down below 65 degrees here in Central Florida, lol (that's when we turn on the max heat and wear parkas) >:D

Also, if it wasn't for this forum I would not have discovered that our wagon has a 250A alternator. :nerd:

the more you know... :laugh:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I do not think I would add a 1000 watt inverter to a single battery system with a 150 amp alternator. We do know that the 150 amp alternator will run the van with probably some safety margin.

So the 220 amp HD alternator (not 260?) with 2015 gas engine should have at least 70 amps available (220-150)

A 1000 watt inverter at full load (not including using any of its surge capacity) at 100% eff. should use about 1000 watts/14.2 volts = 70 amps. My Samlex 1000 watt inverter shows eff. at 88% at full load. So actual amperage would be about 70/.88 = 79.5 amps. My Transit voltage starts at about 14.5 volts and then drops down to 14.2 volts after some time.

So 1000 watt inverter at full load would use all the extra capacity of the HD alternator plus some of the safety margin.

As stated I would also avoid using the Ford air heater on cold morning starts.
Could somebody verify that 'cold morning electric heater' we read/talk about?
Is this in my 3.7 with me not knowing? I was under the impression this was a diesel-only item as it takes so long for any diesel to warm up, hence the euro-diesel-furnace that is used to run all night (over there) so you have a vehicle that will 1) turn over in the AM but 2) be warm and prevent wear for passenger application vs commercial. Anybody?
Heck, while I'm at it, I currently have two group 24 batts running to my 1500 pure-sine used for
1) my laser printer surge demands it, and with the inverter already installed added a 2) 600 watt microwave. Solar is in the plans, if I don't go 2020/AWD, but can I simply replace the 150 alt with a HighOutput (260?) or is the factory wiring of the 150 only for the 150 and need the factory install. If correct here, forcing more amps through a given (smaller gauge) wire can tend to heat things up, or, somebody out there has done this already and all is OK. Pleaassee?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The Transit electric air heater was an urban myth, Someone thought that just because the Sprinter has one the Transit should have one too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With Euro-spec Transits the "Turn the temperature control to maximum heat to turn on the auxiliary heater" part in the manual refers to the factory-installed auxiliary Eberspächer heater which most vans sold in the Northern Europe have.

There is also the PCT heater option here which gives instant heat for defrosting the windshield.

·
Registered
249 Posts
With Euro-spec Transits the "Turn the temperature control to maximum heat to turn on the auxiliary heater" part in the manual refers to the factory-installed auxiliary Eberspächer heater which most vans sold in the Northern Europe have.

There is also the PCT heater option here which gives instant heat for defrosting the windshield.
....and if I'm right, in Euro-land it is in a diesel. There is a gas 2.3l available and maybe this heater does/can come with it too. As I bought a left-over, I know nothing of this PCT heater here. Curious to qualify further someday; std with the diesel and option-able with gas, and maybe the dual-batt and/or HD alternator is necessary to qualify for the option.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would like to build a solar system much like Orton's whereby a vehicle inverter can act as shore power for charging. I have the single battery with 150 amp alternator Transit. Is this adequate for a 1000 watt inverter or should I upgrade to dual batteries and 260 amp alternator?

I know very little about electrical matters. As I will be traveling extensively I plan to not initially install solar panels and rely on the inverter for 100% of charging needs.

Thanks for your assistance.
Check out this vid.

link to Renogy product that manages battery charging :

21 - 33 of 33 Posts