Ford Transit USA Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone know if they changed the wheel specs for 2020? I have a 2017 350HD DRW and have started looking for new tires. Those look nice and the separation between the duallies looks OK also.
Also wondering. I have a 2016 350HD DRW on the stock tires but they're almost done. They arent great in the PNW, dont grip great when its wet and muddy and I have been too afraid to even attempt them on snow and ice. Im on the USA side of the border from Vancouver BC. Also I care about the load rating.

With the ski lodges closed it sure would be nice to drive this van to the slopes...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also wondering. I have a 2016 350HD DRW on the stock tires but they're almost done. They arent great in the PNW, dont grip great when its wet and muddy and I have been too afraid to even attempt them on snow and ice. Im on the USA side of the border from Vancouver BC. Also I care about the load rating.

With the ski lodges closed it sure would be nice to drive this van to the slopes...
Have the same vehicle and am in the same situation trying to sift through the weeds to find accurate information re: wheel and tire sizing. I have seen mention that Ford has increased the width of the DRW wheels to 6.5" but again not sure if that is true or not. I am wanting to get Yokohama Geolander G015 in 215-85-16, but seeing now some 215's that are clearly too wide makes me nervous. Might just get an installer to try two on the rear to check clearance before doing all 6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, in PNW also. After a lot of reading here and elsewhere on DRW tire solutions, I decided to upsize to a 215/85R16 on stock 2016 rims. Les Schwab had these MasterCraft 10-ply (I think they said Cooper made them for Les Schwab, but who knows). I'm real happy with them. 1/2" at bulge in rear. No rubbing issues up front. Speedo is messed up, but I think I can fix that with Forscan tool or just live with it. Shifting seems late now (duh), but not too bad. Need to get some more miles in to know for sure. Might need to change out the rear end gears. :-(

75 PSI, raise the van ~1-1/2". Looks like a different van without those roller skate tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, in PNW also. After a lot of reading here and elsewhere on DRW tire solutions, I decided to upsize to a 215/85R16 on stock 2016 rims. Les Schwab had these MasterCraft 10-ply (I think they said Cooper made them for Les Schwab, but who knows). I'm real happy with them. 1/2" at bulge in rear. No rubbing issues up front. Speedo is messed up, but I think I can fix that with Forscan tool or just live with it. Shifting seems late now (duh), but not too bad. Need to get some more miles in to know for sure. Might need to change out the rear end gears. :-(

75 PSI, raise the van ~1-1/2". Looks like a different van without those roller skate tires.

View attachment 144820 View attachment 144821 View attachment 144822 View attachment 144823 View attachment 144824
thanks for sharing! Wonder if you could reset the TCM with forscan in hopes the shift points would improve 🤔

will be interested to hear if things improve after some more miles!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I'm sticking to stock tire size. Costco has $150 off 4 Michelin Crossclimate for another week. I'm not a Costco member but pricing is good enough to offset the membership fee, WA tax, and still come out ahead vs tiredirect. I drove down to the Columbia River Gorge for New Years (Hood River still had fireworks) and was hoping to snag some tax free in Oregon but everything is out of stock everywhere. Ive been real lazy about tire pressures and let the inner dualies get pretty low. Got 2.5mpg better per the computer on the return trip after inflating those.

EDIT: the thought of an extra inch seems appealing now. My local boat ramp is not very steep and I can't back up quite far enough to comfortably launch my boat without submerging my brakes in salt water. It's really close. Maybe 1-1/2" would mean it floats right off instead of needing a Herculean shove to get started...

·
Registered
282 Posts
@sfeldma, did you fit a spear tire with the 215/85R16 tires?
The diameter of that rim is 30.4 "and what I read is that it can fit up to 30" in diameter in the spear tire compartment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@sfeldma, are you in the Gorge? I tried calling a few tire places in Hood River...

I've gone back and forth on stock tire size or go up, but after measuring tread depth realize it's my outer rear tires that are most worn (guessing due to my poor tire inflation practices). Based on my calculations, I can squeeze another year out of this set so I guess I get to delay and see how those MasterCraft work out for you...

·
Registered
34 Posts
@sfeldma, did you fit a spear tire with the 215/85R16 tires?
The diameter of that rim is 30.4 "and what I read is that it can fit up to 30" in diameter in the spear tire compartment.
I bought 7 new tires so I hope they (Les Schwab) put one on the spare, but I didn't check. They didn't say anything about it not fitting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@sfeldma, are you in the Gorge? I tried calling a few tire places in Hood River...

I've gone back and forth on stock tire size or go up, but after measuring tread depth realize it's my outer rear tires that are most worn (guessing due to my poor tire inflation practices). Based on my calculations, I can squeeze another year out of this set so I guess I get to delay and see how those MasterCraft work out for you...
No, I'm in mid-Willamette Valley area.

We just got back from a 3000 mile trip on the new tires and I have no complaints. Real happy. Lots of non-paved roads, rain, little bit of snow, no problems. I like being 1-1/2" higher in the van because now we don't have to be so careful pulling into/outof driveways with an angle. We didn't drag the butt at all on this trip. Actually, now that I think about it, there is one thing I didn't like is these tires really want to follow ruts in the road, like where traffic has worn ruts in the lane. Hang on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, I'm in mid-Willamette Valley area.
I live in Corvallis, neighbor! I'm just starting my build. Got the Maxx fans on yesterday. Hopefully solar wired this weekend. My tires will probably only last one more season on my 2017 350 passenger DRW and I was hoping to put the KO2's everyone without DRW swears by... but I guess that is not an option. I really like the way the bigger tires look on yours... because like someone said, Ford got the stock wheels from the roller derby.
I would really like to know if the Forscan tricks fix the speedo and shifting, because those are my only qualms about going bigger than stock... and my brother has that program- which I need to use to try and turn off my airbag light anyway. I'd love to see pictures of your interior build (especially because it's difficult to build around the windows in the passenger van) to get some ideas. Or, are you keeping all the seats? I can't assume.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know if 235/85r16's will fit with aftermarket wheels such as the Alcoa's, Ultras, or Custom Wheel Solutions? I would seriously enjoy having that extra few inches of clearance and height on the van.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone know if 235/85r16's will fit with aftermarket wheels such as the Alcoa's, Ultras, or Custom Wheel Solutions? I would seriously enjoy having that extra few inches of clearance and height on the van.
I have 215/85R16's on Custom Wheel Solutions rims, and have about an inch of clearance between the rims. That is almost an inch wider and an inch taller. So it just might barely fit in the back, but I think you'll have major rubbing problems in the front. My tires just barely clear up front on the drivers side when the wheel is turned left to full lock. I don't remember now what point they were close to making contact with, but there was less than 1/4" clearance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have 215/85R16's on Custom Wheel Solutions rims, and have about an inch of clearance between the rims. That is almost an inch wider and an inch taller. So it just might barely fit in the back, but I think you'll have major rubbing problems in the front. My tires just barely clear up front on the drivers side when the wheel is turned left to full lock. I don't remember now what point they were close to making contact with, but there was less than 1/4" clearance.
Thats good to know. I’m aware that the front will need some trimming, mainly from the tire size thread. Lots of folks put 235/85R16’s on their SRW vans, but trim a bit up front. I’m mainly worried about the rear wheel spacing.

Has anyone played with spacers between the rear wheels? I have some 1” spacers from US Wheel Adapters that might work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 DRW AWD model, and I just replaced the stock 205/75R16 tires with Toyo Open Country A/T III 215/85R16 tires and they fit perfectly! Even though they should be wider than the stock tires, they are not, and I have essentially the same gap between the rear dual tires as I had with the original tires. They are taller tires, but with them being skinny, there is no problem with rubbing at full lock turn either left or right. Additionally, I didn't have to trim the pinch weld on the front wheel wells. As mentioned, these tires run skinny, and are not as wide as other 215/85r16 tires.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did a thing!

235/85R16 BFG KO2's fit on my 2020 AWD T350HD Dually! Man oh man do they look bada$$!

I do have the Van Compass lift installed with the red shocks.

I had to do some trimming on the flange in the front wheel well. I took about 1/4" off all the way up to the top. The front bumper needed a bit of trimming as well. I may go back in and trim a bit more of the bumper as I had some rubbing on a hard left turn on the way home.

The rear has a 1" spacer from US Wheel Adapters (2015-20 Ford Transit 350HD Hub Centric Bolt On Wheel Spacers | Dually). This required cutting about 1/2" off the factory studs in the rear. The spacers leave a good amount of distance between the rear tires. Much better than I had before with my 225/75r16's and no spacer.

I was initially pretty intimidated by the trimming needed as I've never done anything like that before, but it was very manageable. It took me about 4 hours to do both the front and rear wheel work needed to fit these bad boys. Discount tire installed the tires, no troubles at all.

The slider does hit the tire when fully opened, but nothing concerning.

This size tire really fits the size of the van. I do wish Ford made the wheel wells just a tad larger to allow for this size tire without trimming. But, what can you do.

According to Discount Tire, the spare does not fit. I will try myself later as there was a report on the Transit Facebook group of another guy that got his to fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a thing!

235/85R16 BFG KO2's fit on my 2020 AWD T350HD Dually! Man oh man do they look bada$$!

I do have the Van Compass lift installed with the red shocks.

I had to do some trimming on the flange in the front wheel well. I took about 1/4" off all the way up to the top. The front bumper needed a bit of trimming as well. I may go back in and trim a bit more of the bumper as I had some rubbing on a hard left turn on the way home.

The rear has a 1" spacer from US Wheel Adapters (2015-20 Ford Transit 350HD Hub Centric Bolt On Wheel Spacers | Dually). This required cutting about 1/2" off the factory studs in the rear. The spacers leave a good amount of distance between the rear tires. Much better than I had before with my 225/75r16's and no spacer.

I was initially pretty intimidated by the trimming needed as I've never done anything like that before, but it was very manageable. It took me about 4 hours to do both the front and rear wheel work needed to fit these bad boys. Discount tire installed the tires, no troubles at all.

The slider does hit the tire when fully opened, but nothing concerning.

This size tire really fits the size of the van. I do wish Ford made the wheel wells just a tad larger to allow for this size tire without trimming. But, what can you do.

According to Discount Tire, the spare does not fit. I will try myself later as there was a report on the Transit Facebook group of another guy that got his to fit.

View attachment 154267

View attachment 154268

View attachment 154269

View attachment 154270

View attachment 154271

View attachment 154273
Looks great!!! How much space is between rear tires? I'm wondering if spacer is needed to maintain the ~1/2in that is recommended???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love this look!!! Anyone else do 235/85R16 BFG KO2's on a DRW Transit with van compass lift? Pics? Issues?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks great!!! How much space is between rear tires? I'm wondering if spacer is needed to maintain the ~1/2in that is recommended???
I had 225/75r16’s before and they were super close to touching. I think a spacer is most definitely needed. If you can find a ½” spacer, that could work I think.

I’m anxiously awaiting the next oil change to get a reflash on the gearing to 3.31, I’m hoping that fixes the shifting points. At lower speeds going uphill, it feels a bit sluggish. That’s really the only downside I’ve noticed. The look is just absolutely amazing.

You do need to make sure you trim enough off the back of the pinch weld, I had some rubbing right after install.

Also, the spare definitely fits, not sure why Discount tire couldn’t get it up there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 DRW AWD model, and I just replaced the stock 205/75R16 tires with Toyo Open Country A/T III 215/85R16 tires and they fit perfectly! Even though they should be wider than the stock tires, they are not, and I have essentially the same gap between the rear dual tires as I had with the original tires. They are taller tires, but with them being skinny, there is no problem with rubbing at full lock turn either left or right. Additionally, I didn't have to trim the pinch weld on the front wheel wells. As mentioned, these tires run skinny, and are not as wide as other 215/85r16 tires.
Can you share a picture of the tires on your van? How are you liking them?

I have a 2017 DRW (not AWD) and I'm pretty sure the stock tire is 195/75R16 -- so not sure if the 215 will fit or not.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts