Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,326 Posts
Reviving an old thread... I have a strange idea I'd like to get some input on. I've got the OEM Alloy DRW's, and will be in Canada for the winter instead of at home in TN. I've been thinking of getting 4 steel rims to replace the 4 alloys (OEM rear inners are steel) and mounting snow tires to them. How feasible is it to keep the OEM tires on the inner wheel of the DRW and just mounting snows to the outer rim? I'm in southern Ontario, and don't expect to have to go out in really bad weather, and have access to a Corolla with 4 snow tires on it if I really need to go out during a storm.

Also, does anyone know if the lug nuts are different between the steel and OEM alloy? I haven't seen my van in person yet since I have been out of the country since it arrived.

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
Well, answering my own question. I did some research and mixing tire sizes on a set of duallies is really bad idea. So I ordered 6 steel wheels for 6 snows. I'm going to be in Canada for the winter, and visiting family in Quebec a few times where the law requires dedicated Snow rated winter tires from December 15th to March 15th.

I'm giving some serious thought to the Nokian Hakka C3. It has the same tread as the Nokia WRC3 but I suspect the compound is more winter oriented.

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
I would love to know the answer to this question as well...anyone?
TIA
Here's another thread discussing DRW tires.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com...54986-upgrade-tires-2015-transit-350-drw.html

I also have a DRW and have been following these threads. You can't go just by the size. Manufacturers aren't that strict when they design a tire. Some 195's, like the Hankook, have a section width much wider than a 225 tire from another manufacturer. I've got the OEM alloys which appear visually to have more spacing between the tires but I haven't gotten any accurate measurements from anyone.

Are you trying to go wider, or taller, or both? Nokian makes a few VAN specific tires in intriguing sizes. They have a Commercial C rated (like OEM) tire in the following sizes in both a summer type tread and an all season aggressive tread.

195/75R16 C 107/105S
up to 112 mph, max load 2150 lb

205/75R16 C 113/111S
up to 112 mph, max load 2540 lb

215/75R16 C 116/114S
up to 112 mph, max load 2760 lb

225/65R16 C 112/110T
up to 118 mph, max load 2470 lb

225/75R16 C 121/120R
up to 106 mph, max load 3200 lb

It's a confusing issue, but I do know that you either need an LT designation or a C commercial designation for van use. If you go with an LT configuration, it needs to be rated 10% higher than OEM, as an LT on a high vehicle is rated at 90% of stated load capacity.

There really isn't an easy answer until someone tries it on their T350HD.

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
More DRW tires that MAY fit

Nokian finally released detailed specs on their new cLine Cargo tire. I've still got a ways to go before I need tires but I see something of interest.

Let's compare OEM Hankook versus a couple of upsize Nokian cLine Cargo. Sorry for the "HTML Code" box but it's the only way I know of to use TABS in post.

HTML:
brand           size     load rating   weight     diameter.    section width.      tread depth.  

Hankook     195/75-16.   107/105     32           28            9.4                      12.8/32  

Nokian      215/75-16    116/114     32.9         28.7          8.5                      12.5

Nokian      225/75-16    121/120     34.2         29.3          8.8                      12.5
If the specs are accurate, especially with regards to section width, then both of the Nokian tires look promising.

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
I'm curious to see what brand of tires will be on the 2020 Transit T350HD with either AWD or the optional Heavy Duty Front Axle. That configuration will have 205/75-16 tires as standard equipment, with a load range of 113/111. The only tire I've ever seen with that load range and a Commercial C rating in that size is the Nokian cLine Cargo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just in case anyone's curious - Firestone Transforce HT2 215/85-16 don't fit very well. 80% done conversion with a dirtbike in the back. 1000-2000lbs. Rear tires just barely touch at the bubble. Your call I guess.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
Wow.. are you going to leave those mounted? I'd be checking the sidewalls often just in case. If you get a small piece of gravel in there you could end up with a nasty blowout.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is the link to the other thread that shows my upsized DWR tires.

Upgrade tires on 2015 transit 350 drw

My set up is working great with my 225/75/16 tires. Studded in the rear BFG K02 2nd gen in the front. I welded a 1/2" spacer to a spar pair of outer rear rims.
How do you go about rotating your tires? Do you have to take the tires off and rotate them on the rims in order to keep the spacer in the back?

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
How do you go about rotating your tires? Do you have to take the tires off and rotate them on the rims in order to keep the spacer in the back?
Since he welded the spacers to the inner rear wheels, I would assume he rotates the outer rear to opposite side front, and swaps the inner rears from side to side. I have alloys, and there is no way to rotate front to back on those. All you can do is side to side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for bumping an old thread.

I have a 2020 DRW transit that seems to have a different size stock tire. It came with 205/75/R16’s that have quite a decent gap between the tires in the back.

I live in the mountains of CO and am really wanting to put some snow tires on, but am a little unsure what I can fit on these stock rims. Does anyone have any tips for the 2020 year?

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Wheel

·
Registered
712 Posts
Take a look on your rim to see what it says the rim width is. Should be stamped in the rim like mine in the attached image. I wonder if they slightly changed the rim offsets so that they kept the same rim spacing between tires. At least Ford putting on 215s versus 195 is moving in the right direction.
I see that they are using a continuous weld on your rim center versus the old rims used separate gap welds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I'm installing Bridgestone Blizzaks, same size as yours, on Friday. Good to know they will work. Did you buy a spare and if so did it fit in the under the van? Thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
712 Posts
In your picture of the rims, did the tire installer place one of your inside rims on the outside? It looks rusty. Bummer if they did. I would have complained and had them re-install the tires so the other rim is on the outside.
Did you ever take a look at what the rims have stamped on them regarding their width?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone know if they changed the wheel specs for 2020? I have a 2017 350HD DRW and have started looking for new tires. Those look nice and the separation between the duallies looks OK also.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts