Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 2015 Transit DRW HR EL 3.2L
I love this truck. Test drove the Mercedes the same day I bought. The Mercedes is an excellent truck. That tells you how much I dig my new Ford. It was close....super close...The deciding factors were......1, ease of DIY maintenance, readily available oil filter, etc.( I dig check the price on the fuel filter and Im hoping I was misquoted at $265???) 2, My truck came in at 21ft, that fits in a standard parking space(at least that's what Ive experienced, The merc was 23ft)The Ford was so Freakin easy to drive! The Merc drives outstanding for such a large vehicle, the Ford is just more car like!Everything else was a toss up.

Now what I don't like.....the puny ass tires! WTF??? 195's??? I had a Volvo with bigger tires! It looks like there might be some limitations too, even for an upgrade...
What works? Ive tried to find info here, but not much for the DRW crowd........max diameter? max width? Sizes anybody has tried? I don't really want to buy tires.....but in the mean time Ill abuse these! This truck is pretty fun to drive!
Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about upgrading to larger tires on the DRW wagon as well. Although the handling is acceptable so far, I haven't gotten into the messy winter weather yet. Tire rack rates the current Hankook tires (Dynapro HT RH12, 195/75R16C, 2,149# max, 106 MPH, 70 psi) rather low on snow and wet pavement driving. I haven't been able to find a suitable alternative LT rated tire (Load range E) that would swap out with the current rims. The Continental Vanco Four Season 235/65R16C, 3,267# max, 106 MPH, 90 psi) tires, which came on the 350 Long WB, 12 pax wagon, are not much better in winter and wet driving.

I've used the tiresize.com & tirerack.com sites to get estimates of suitable tire sizes, but then I've been unable to find a light truck rated tire in those sizes. I've also been following the other thread on alternative tire sizes on this forum.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'd be careful with dual spacing dimension. Factory wheels may not allow much wider tires (assuming one wants to stay within tire specs). And different wheels with significant more offset probably won't fit under van.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This topic has been here for awhile, but the question is still open. New owner here with a '17 cab chassis DRW. I am not happy about Hankook OEM tires. Hankooks have a bad history in other RV use. The only alternative in the 195 size is a Firestone which is probably a better option. I got aluminum wheels (a surprise, not on the build sheet). The inner rears are steel. There appears to be quite a bit of space between the rear tires, so I certainly will investigate size options.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I looked around in the alternate larger tire thread and found one post. IT seems 235s don't quite fit but are close. So anything under this should be fair game.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
This topic has been here for awhile, but the question is still open. New owner here with a '17 cab chassis DRW. I am not happy about Hankook OEM tires. Hankooks have a bad history in other RV use. The only alternative in the 195 size is a Firestone which is probably a better option. I got aluminum wheels (a surprise, not on the build sheet). The inner rears are steel. There appears to be quite a bit of space between the rear tires, so I certainly will investigate size options.

The same size in Firestone Transforce HT has 2" narrower tread width. It is also .5" smaller in diameter.

The Hankooks are quite a but wider than their 195 designation would seem to indicate.

Not sure what the "bad history in RV use" means but IIRC no one here has had problems with them....

Also curious about "quite a bit of space" between the rear tires- mine are very close, probably less than .5" which will make it impossible to change to a much wider tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked around in the alternate larger tire thread and found one post. IT seems 235s don't quite fit but are close. So anything under this should be fair game.
Good info. I didn't imagine youd be able to get anything much wider. Im interested in taller too, Im quite curious to see if a 215/85 in an AT tread will fit all six wheels without issue

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,325 Posts
I got aluminum wheels (a surprise, not on the build sheet). The inner rears are steel.
Have you got a picture of these? I have never heard of aluminum wheels for the DRW. Id love to see what they look like.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The same size in Firestone Transforce HT has 2" narrower tread width. It is also .5" smaller in diameter.

The Hankooks are quite a but wider than their 195 designation would seem to indicate.

Not sure what the "bad history in RV use" means but IIRC no one here has had problems with them....

Also curious about "quite a bit of space" between the rear tires- mine are very close, probably less than .5" which will make it impossible to change to a much wider tire.
You are right about the Firestones. I hadn't noticed the width difference, if the Tire Rack specs are correct. I had Firestone Transforce HT tires on a Chevy Express van motorhome and they performed well.
Hankook LT tires had a significant blowout rate reported on the Pleasure Way van motorhome forum. The particular motorhome on a modified Ford E350 van used OEM Hankook LT245x16 tires. That conversion was pretty heavy which may have contributed to failures, but folks who replaced with Michelins or other brands seemed to be satisfied. Also, my neighbor had a blowout on his Class C Ford E450 chassis motorhome with Hankooks. These Transit 195's may be totally different from the LT tires, hopefully better.
I've got close to 1.5" between my rear tires. I'll try to post pictures.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,325 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I didn't realize it was a motorhome conversion. I thought you had gotten aluminum dual rear wheels on a Transit van.

They look great. Are they made by Alcoa?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Here are pictures of the aluminum wheels that came on my Coachmen Orion motorhome Transit 3500 cutaway chassis. The rear wheel spacing is almost 1.5".
Interesting- that is a lot more clearance between tires than my OEM steel dual wheels have..which is a significant limiting factor in going to larger tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know. Not on Coachmen build sheet. I guess they came that way from Ford, but no logo or stamping anywhere that I can find. There is also a stainless tube valve extender from the inner wheel to the outside. I'm happy.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,099 Posts
Was looking at a 2017 DRW on a lot and it seemed like it was sprung kind of high.

I compared the 2015 and 2017 specs and it looks like maybe the 2017 DRW is sprung a couple inches taller than the 2015.

I had that thought because the wheels looked positively tiny and there seemed to be a great deal of room for bigger tires.

Is that true or did I misread the spec?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any new updates on biggest tires on DRW conversion? I just took possession of a 2017 Winnebago Fuse built on the 350HD chassis. Alcoa aluminum rims were an option that I didn't get - sort of kicking myself now as I didn't do enough research before ordering it.

I think I've read in the tread above that the dually rears are steel on the inside and then aluminum on the outside. So, if I choose to upgrade now I only change 4 rims? This seams odd. Can someone explain more??

Reactions: xXJEGSSXx

·
Registered
712 Posts
Seems like this is the DRW Tire thread. I posted in another thread that I am looking at winter tires for my Dually.
I have done some research on Tires I can fit onto the dual rims in the back. I hope to fit 225/75/16 Duratracs or perhaps a 235/75/16 off-road/snow tire.

Measurements:
-I measured 1" spacing between the sidewalls of the rear tires.
-Where the tires bulged near the ground, (without additional load in the van) I measured .812"
-I measured .825" gap between the suspension leaf springs and the sidewall.
-Measured how close the outer rim fits behind the outside surface of the rear axle - 3mm

This says to me in theory I can safely go with about a 15mm wider tire without any mods. 195 to a 210? No 210s widths made that I can tell...

2 things become really important in fitting different tires on the dual rims. Section width and gap between the 2 tires under load. (If wider tires can be fit, another thing to consider is that tire pressure will always have to be maintained so that the tires don't bulge and rub against each other.)

Section widths:
Hankook DynaPro HT in the 195 is listed as having a 9.4" (238.8mm) section width and a 7.5" (190.5mm) tread width
Wrangler DuraTrac in 225 lists the tire section as 8.8" (223.5mm)
(Not considering the overall tire OD)

Looking at an image of the DuraTrac on the Goodyear site, (and posted here) There sure looks like the tire section is wider than the tread section. If the Duratrac is really 8.8" (223.5mm) wide then the tread width can't even be close to 225. (Something seems wrong with the 8.8" stated section width.)

As stated by "Wildthing" who put the 225/75/16 DruTracs on his rig with Alcoa rims, he believes they wont fit on steel rims.
http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...n/39322-2017-transit-350-hd-alcoa-wheels.html

This leads me to believe that 225/75/16 wont work without either a rim change or some sort of a spacer between the rims. With only 3mm clearance to center the rim behind the axle hub, no space to space the rims out!

This kind of sucks!!! Limited winter snow/off-road tire selection for our DRW vans, and wont readily adapt to other available rims.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts