Ford Transit USA Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I posted somewhere else (or didn't click "enter") about issues that might contribute to noises regarding the drivetrain.

In regard to Ben's thought about driveline alignment:

If some motor or tranny mount is not installed tightly or is off-kilter, or if the whole assembly is a little off center, it could easily result in excess vibration. Especially at sympathetic harmonics. And maybe certain RPMs cause more vibration and components are too close together and "clack" as they touch, leading some people to think they have a TC or tranny issue when they don't. Or it could be a loose or misaligned front suspension component. In the past with some other vehicles, I've found rocks that found their way up onto the A-arm and were rattling around (yay! it's not a broken bolt!)

Looking at how sloppy the body panels and doors are assembled/installed in Transits, I would suspect the driveline components are also installed haphazardly. There will be great variation from van to van. Close inspection, and perhaps sticking a GoPro under the van to film the driveline motion while driving, might solve a lot of these droning, grinding, and rattling issues for people.

·
Registered
2015 148" LR 3.7
23 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with you Surly Bill. I have gained a lot of insight from reading the discussions here. Many of them did not apply to my particular issues and every van is a little different.
I was lucky enough to be plagued with all of the common problems the 2015 models share. Particularly the shudder from the torque converter, guibo humming, the droning and the booming. It would be impossible to duplicate the repair work I have had done to my Transit on another Transit and expect the same exact results. My take-away and advice I have gleaned from my saga (to the non 2020 owners of course) is if you have the 65-70 highway shudder and rpm surging and it bothers you, then replace the torque converter with a rebuilt one. I bought my van used with 95k on it. Who knows how long the converter had been slipping before I got it? I had my mechanic pull the tranny and he said it was like new inside. So, I will venture to say that my shuddering torque converter was not causing damage to the transmission. I cannot completely back that claim up because I don’t know how long torque converter was bad. Maybe I got lucky with my driveline noise going away after all the tranny work. I definitely hit the jackpot with my exhaust fix.
My Transit is so much quieter and it is really a pleasure to drive now that I can hear my wife nagging me.

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
332 Posts
Update to drone noise:

I just got my new tire and wheel package installed on Friday. The drone is there but now it's at 80-88 mph (GPS calculated). That's not bad considering I very rarely drive at those speeds. My speedo is off by 12.8% now so 63=71;that's my default cruise.

Anywho, I was reading in other forums about driveline drone and a few other models of vehicles have exhibited this issue. There were a couple that had a harmonic generated in the leaf spring by a combination of road speed and exhaust tone. I don't think this is the case with the Transit as I tested the drone on stock tires with a payload of 3700 pounds. Still there and still at the same speed range. Also, our drone has nothing to do with engine speed/tone and everything to do with tire speed.

I'm going to investigate adding an aftermarket pinion nose dampener to see if that solves the issue.

Just about any car coming from an assembly line or dealer shop can have driveline alignment issues as they are not going to take the time to do anything beyond the tech manual. To get any better you would need to go to a reputable driveline shop that specializes in this type of adjustment.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
Update to drone noise:

I just got my new tire and wheel package installed on Friday. The drone is there but now it's at 80-88 mph (GPS calculated). That's not bad considering I very rarely drive at those speeds. My speedo is off by 12.8% now so 63=71;that's my default cruise.

Anywho, I was reading in other forums about driveline drone and a few other models of vehicles have exhibited this issue. There were a couple that had a harmonic generated in the leaf spring by a combination of road speed and exhaust tone. I don't think this is the case with the Transit as I tested the drone on stock tires with a payload of 3700 pounds. Still there and still at the same speed range. Also, our drone has nothing to do with engine speed/tone and everything to do with tire speed.

I'm going to investigate adding an aftermarket pinion nose dampener to see if that solves the issue.

View attachment 134069

Just about any car coming from an assembly line or dealer shop can have driveline alignment issues as they are not going to take the time to do anything beyond the tech manual. To get any better you would need to go to a reputable driveline shop that specializes in this type of adjustment.
Would love to hear if the pinion made a difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I SOLD mine before I got screwed. I can live with the "turd fix", and the water literally pouring into the electrical wires at the first drop of rainfall (blood is boiling) but when I heard the droning I tapped out! Someone else's problem now.

2018 HR ext
  • 148"
  • 3.7 v6
  • Rear drive ratio (idk sorry)
  • 80-90 km/h only in 5th gear (6th gear either was very quiet droning or maybe went away)

·
Registered
18 Posts
2020 with 450 miles on it
148"
3.5L ecoboost
3.73 Limited Slip
Drone noise starts at ~74mph and runs up to 85...maybe past that....haven't been there though. Maybe it's a good thing...keep me under 74mph. Nahh, that can't be a good thing.

unkie

·
Registered
66 Posts
2020 AWD w/ 800 miles
High roof
148”
3.5L EcoBoost
3.73 Limited slip
Factory vinyl floor with the padding

No drone at all

·
Registered
112 Posts
2020 with 450 miles on it
148"
3.5L ecoboost
3.73 Limited Slip
Drone noise starts at ~74mph and runs up to 85...maybe past that....haven't been there though. Maybe it's a good thing...keep me under 74mph. Nahh, that can't be a good thing.

unkie
which transmission?
what is rpm at those speeds.
Its more than likely the exhaust, no body seems to believe that but it's easily proven and easily fixed!!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
which transmission?
Its more than likely the exhaust, no body seems to believe that but it's easily proven and easily fixed!!
Good Luck!
All 2020s have the 10speed as I understand it. Mine does.
Does not seem to be rpm dependent since I've tried 10th, 9th and 8th gears at a fixed 80mph with no impact on the drone sound frequency or volume.
Exhaust - I'm going to mess with that if I can determine what to try, since the drone volume is to some extent a function of throttle position. On the theory that more throttle = more exahaust noise (though I don't hear exhaust noise inside the van). Though the torque on the diff is also a function of throttle position.
We already plastered every square inch of the cargo area panels on the sides, roof and floor in between the ribs with duramat. Quiets the general van noise some (air, tires, etc) but didn't affect the drone much if at all. Upholstered paneling will go up next.

I've tried to attach a photo of the exhaust tip to this...we'll see if that works. Outlet is out within an inch of the outside of the rear quarter panel. Not yet sure what I'd do to this to vart ut...other than add a few inches so I can clip pedestrians and hedgerows if I don't get them first with the side mirror. :)
I'll mess with it more on a road trip tomorrow and report back....see if I can be more specific.

unkie

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
which transmission?
Good Luck!
I think its the exhaust too but can you show how its easily fixed. I haven't seen that posted yet? I have my drone when i let off the gas from 60mph all the way down to 40mph and from about 1800 rpm to 1300 rpm

Edit - only in 6th gear. If i manual shift into 5th it pushes the rpms higher and I dont hear it as I decelerate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think its the exhaust too but can you show how its easily fixed. I haven't seen that posted yet? I have my drone when i let off the gas from 60mph all the way down to 40mph and from about 1800 rpm to 1300 rpm

Edit - only in 6th gear. If i manual shift into 5th it pushes the rpms higher and I dont hear it as I decelerate.
Easily fixed by having your favorite exhaust guy turn the tailpipe 45 degrees and stick it out in the slip stream a bit.This is all basic car guy stuff, but i think most the people buying these and fitting them out shouldn't own tools, much less diagnose driveline issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A number of my wizards have conferred and concurred with me that the drone in my Transit is not exhaust since it is not a function of the engine rpm, and since the noise matches their experience for differential ring and pinion. Yes, such noises are clearly exhaust for some owners. Just doesn't fit here.

My noise is loudest at steady-state 79mph. And it's louddddd ! Slightly less noise under full throttle at that speed, and slightly less noise at zero throttle at that speed. No noise at 72 regardless of throttle position or engine rpm, and back to no noise at around 90...I didn't check engine speed or throttle position there, 'cause I was busy. But I'm not drivin' it at 90 so it doesn't really matter that it's quiet at 90. :) I've got other stuff to drive at 90+

I've tried a range of engine rpm and find the noise is unaffected by that.

I'll drive it for a while to see if it changes as the ring and pinion wear a little from new (still only 600 miles on it). Maybe tow something heavy for a ways to add more load on the gears. But give it back to Ford to correct it? Maybe, but suppose they make it worse....

thanks all for continuing to kick this around with me! I need to go back through the forum to reread on experiences others have had in getting Ford to pursue this.

unkiemotorhead

·
Registered
8 Posts
awful head splitting drone at 60+ mph. wasn't there last week, there this week.
no idea how it could've came out of the blue like it did.
defiantly sounds like it's coming from the rear axle but it sounds like wind howl, but I don't suspect it is.

extended high roof,
eco boost 3.5
tranny replaced before purchace
rubber guibo
I saw some damage underneath that looks like the flex coupling may have failed prior to purchace
I replaced the diff. fluid 2 days ago, no effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi -

I bought a 2020 Transit 150 with 4,000 miles on it in June 2020 from BMW dealer in Columbia MO. They got it from a rental agency in California. It has the 3.5 eco boost motor, low roof and 130" wheelbase. I don't know what my rear differential ratio is.

I have experienced the droning noise and I hope I can get it fixed. I drive the highway just enough to make this unacceptable bad.

The noise starts with a somewhat higher frequency whine at about 70 mph, that turns into a deeper harmonic drone as I get to 80mph. I turn up the radio quite high and it interferes with hearing the music or whatever is on the radio. It's bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,816 Posts
Google for torque converter shudder for possible clues. Also,it is still under factory warranty so have the dealer look at it and make sure he WRITES DOWN that it is intermittent and describe the circumstances it usually occurs in. Too often some dweeb gets in it, drives a mile around the block without ever trying to duplicate the scenario, and comes back saying it is fine.

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
332 Posts
For those of you stuck on blaming the exhaust: It's OK that you're wrong. The 2020 exhaust tip goes straight out the passenger side and previous years the tip was truncated down below and behind the rear bumper at around 35° . The drone is present in random vehicles regardless of exhaust design.

Any noise caused by exhaust note would be a function of ENGINE speed, not road speed unless it was wind harmonics. Wind harmonics are easily enough dispelled by drafting a large vehicle and disrupting the wind vortexes.

So, as I've stated, the larger tires that I run (31.6") have moved the speed at which the DRIVELINE drones up into the 80's where I don't normally (and rarely) operate the vehicle so I am no longer concerned with it. Someone who is experiencing the drone in the normal range of highway speeds and will not be upsizing tires should try the harmonic damper.

EDIT: This drone that we are speaking of is not the same thing as driveline shudder. They are very different creatures and have very different causes. It is entirely possible that driveline drone is solved during the procedure to replace any transmission component as disassembly of the driveline and subsequent reassembly is required. There is zero chance that the driveline will go back together in exactly the identical alignment. This variable in reassembly could surreptitiously cure the drone problem by relocating - even by thousandths - the driveline components.

Reactions: OLV1071571

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dynomaxed the floor and some of the walls. Once installed cheaper marine fabic to wall panels and ceiling panels, took care of 95% of the droning. Also used undercoating in hard to get to cavities inside and 4 cans of under coating for the exterior.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2019, 14k miles, 3.7l motor, 148" wb, mr, cargo.

Drone starts at 74mph and gets steadier louder to 80. Haven't had it much faster, but the drone seems to be there anywhere past 74mph.

Would love to figure this out. I have a lead foot and like to run between 75 and 80. Been setting the cruise at 73. Perfectly quiet.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts