Ford Transit USA Forum banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Radiator fan? Mine is quite loud when it is on high speed.
TC wouldn't be doing it constantly, only at certain RPM in certain gears, and your RPM gauge would be jumping up 50-150 when it does it.

Maybe you have the broken exhaust manifold bolts that some people with ecoboost have reported? You should get out and walk around the van and listen where it's coming from next time it happens.Maybe pop the hood open and listen. Could be exhaust pipe or heat shield vibrating, too.
Mine has the 3.2L diesel is there any reports of manifold problems with that engine?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Poor engineering in my view. I was considering waiting for the 2020 but ended up getting a late 2019 thinking all the issues would be fixed. But I was sadly wrong.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Poor engineering in my view. I was considering waiting for the 2020 but ended up getting a late 2019 thinking all the issues would be fixed. But I was sadly wrong.
People are still under the illusion that Ford makes changes every year like Asian car companies do. Ford develops a model and makes it for 5-10 years completely unchanged other than cosmetic treatments and bolt-on electronic gadget options. Almost all "improvements" are retroactively given to previous years via TSB or recall. The advantage of a new one is that these TSBs and recall work have already been done at the factory.

For those reading this looking at buying a Transit; the 2015 is almost exactly the same as the 2019, as is every year in between. But a newer van might still be covered by the 3/36, 5/60 warranty.

Reactions: Moot

·
Registered
67 Posts
People are still under the illusion that Ford makes changes every year like Asian car companies do. Ford develops a model and makes it for 5-10 years completely unchanged other than cosmetic treatments and bolt-on electronic gadget options. Almost all "improvements" are retroactively given to previous years via TSB or recall. The advantage of a new one is that these TSBs and recall work have already been done at the factory.
Huh? Everyone is doing that.....Nissan Frontier ran 2004-2019 or the 7th gen Camry 2012-2017 or pick any other brand or model. All brands are simply making cosmetic changes on the same generation platform

·
Registered
171 Posts

For those reading this looking at buying a Transit; the 2015 is almost exactly the same as the 2019, as is every year in between. But a newer van might still be covered by the 3/36, 5/60 warranty.
By changes I implied what you said Surly Bill. That they would have fixed all the TSBs or issues by a lack of proper design. While many were fixed Ford can't seem to fix what many people are complaining about.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
They really only added band-aids, not design corrections. 2020 SHOULD take care of design issues like water in the engine compartment, guibo, and drivetrain droning noise. We'll see.

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
332 Posts
They really only added band-aids, not design corrections. 2020 SHOULD take care of design issues like water in the engine compartment, guibo, and drivetrain droning noise. We'll see.
I wish.
I came to this thread because I have a 2020 with 300 miles on it. I have differential drone from 72 miles an hour all the way up to 82 and maybe beyond. It's too young to take much faster.

My 2015 had a couple of problems but not this one.

It's only under load and lifting from the accelerator causes the noise to go away.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
From the beginning this noise was blamed on the Giubo, So we got the Giubo recall. Only in the last year or so has the Torque Converter became the new idea for where this noise comes from, And so far on this forum only about 25 people have complained about having to have the Torque Converter repaired or replaced.
I doubt Ford will do a Torquue Converter Recall with so few complaints at this point, Especially after wasting one Recall already trying to fix this noise.
This is the original thread about this noise which mostly blames it on the Driveshaft/Guibo.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I don't think FoMoCo did the guibo recall because of droning noise. It was because they were cracking and falling apart.

Likely causes have been discussed;
exhaust location
harmonic vibrations (driveline and/or unibody)
aerodynamics under the van

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Read the linked thread, It is Giubo/Driveshaft all the way to the end, Including people who said the new U-joint did nothing to stop the noise.

The only comment ever on this forum about a Driveshaft hitting the ground was from a commercial user with a Giubo failure at 162,000 miles, The forum is full of people who said the original Giubo was lasting over 100,000 miles before the Recall.
The constant complaints about the droning noise is what gave us the recall.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did anyone complaining of a driveline drone sound ever get the giubo replaced and solved the problem?

·
Registered
332 Posts
For those reading this looking at buying a Transit; the 2015 is almost exactly the same as the 2019, as is every year in between.
I'm beginning to catalog the changes on my 2020 from my 2015. There are several changes (additions) that we've all discussed that have been included and several that haven't.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The only comment ever on this forum about a Driveshaft hitting the ground was from a commercial user with a Giubo failure at 162,000 miles
Most people on this forum seem to misunderstand how the flex disc (giubo) works.

It does not support the entire driveline independently; it isolates the driveline components with a reinforced rubber-bound coupler. The idea is to reduce driveline harshness being transmitted to the vehicle.

A failed flex disc would possibly cause:
a) driveline vibration
b) clunking of the driveline
c) premature wear of the output shaft bearings

Only failure of all 6 of the coupling bolts would cause the driveshaft to decouple from the output shaft resulting in catastrophic failure and possible aerial acrobatics.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you experience the highway-speed hum, vibration or droning noise in your Transit?

I just went through the vibration and humming noise thread collecting bits of data looking for a pattern. I have found just enough to see hints of something, but no smoking guns yet, I need more data. If you have the problem or think you do, it would be super helpful if I had:

- Model Year
- Wheelbase
- Engine
- Rear drive ratio
- Speed range where you hear the noise
148"
3.7L
3.73 Limited Slip
Only when letting of gas from 60mph down to 45mph. Goes away when accelerating again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 148" LR 3.7
23 Posts
Hello everyone,

2015 148” LR 250.

I bought it used with 95k on it last October. I noticed the vibration at 65-70 and 35-40 with RPM surges of 50-100 revs. Ford dealer replaced the guibo under recall and changed differential fluid. Still had the same vibration. Also, there was a booming type of noise/vibration when slowing down from highway speeds to take an exit ramp. Basically, going from 65-35. I tried different ways of braking and manually downshifting but those made little difference in reducing that noise.

I had the torque converter replaced with a brand new, Ford OEM part. Still had the same vibration problems. I replaced the NEW converter with a RE-BUILT converter and the RPM surging and the vibration went away. The transmission shifts smoothly and stays quiet on the highway at all speeds now.

I then began narrowing down on the other noises like the droning and booming during deceleration. I had my mechanic weld an exhaust extension back to the edge of the bumper. He also checked the exhaust alignment and tightened all connections. My Transit is MUCH quieter now. The booming is 90% gone and the droning noise from normal driving is 75-80% gone. I attribute the noises and vibrations that I hear now to the guibo and the unibody echo that one would expect from a giant hollow box on wheels. I recommend doing the exhaust extension and see if it helps. It is a cheap enough fix to try first.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
I then began narrowing down on the other noises like the droning and booming during deceleration. I had my mechanic weld an exhaust extension back to the edge of the bumper. He also checked the exhaust alignment and tightened all connections. I recommend doing the exhaust extension and see if it helps. It is a cheap enough fix to try first.
Mine is definitely not engine noise from the tailpipe.

• First, the tailpipe for 2020 extends out the passenger side of the vehicle - like any normal large vehicle.
  • Second, by using Select-Shift I can vary the engine RPM at any given speed and the noise remains constant based on vehicle speed, not engine speed.
So, not exhaust related.

·
Registered
2015 148" LR 3.7
23 Posts
Mine is definitely not engine noise from the tailpipe.

• First, the tailpipe for 2020 extends out the passenger side of the vehicle - like any normal large vehicle.
  • Second, by using Select-Shift I can vary the engine RPM at any given speed and the noise remains constant based on vehicle speed, not engine speed.
So, not exhaust related.
That's good, you can check exhaust noise off your list of problems with your 2020. It must be something else then.

·
Registered
2015 148" LR 3.7
23 Posts
I would not rule out drive line alignment. Before and after each tc replacement and guibo replacement I would say that my Transit did make different vibrations and noises. For the final tc replacement my mechanic pulled the tranny out and opened it up to inspect the clutch baskets, rim seals etc. None of which were bad. I am patiently waiting for the "final fix" u-joint. Hopefully that will silence my drivetrain once and for all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would not rule out drive line alignment. Before and after each tc replacement and guibo replacement I would say that my Transit did make different vibrations and noises. For the final tc replacement my mechanic pulled the tranny out and opened it up to inspect the clutch baskets, rim seals etc. None of which were bad. I am patiently waiting for the "final fix" u-joint. Hopefully that will silence my drivetrain once and for all.
I'm not sure how the alignment can be altered unless the giubo is defective. I watched them put the new "permanent" giubo on my 2015 at 70,000 miles and there isn't any way to misalign anything. There are 6 through-bolts that go through the driveshaft, the giubo and the tailshaft connector. I would estimate the slop at .030".

I never had driveline noise on my transit until the pinion shaft bearing roasted at 99,000 miles.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts