Ford Transit USA Forum banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well as an update the dealer has had our Transit for a week now and it turns out Ford is having them put a new transmission in it. I'll keep folks posted on how it turns out.

2015 T-350 XLT 12 Passenger, 3.7 Liter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 15 passenger mid roof. Noise is cyclical drone when letting off gas between 50 and 60 mph. Dealer has replaced drive shaft assembly and torque converter. No change. They now insist it's the tires. Two sets of new tires same noise at same speeds. Had a 2018 loaner from enterprise while they were working on it and it had same noise. Its definitely a design flaw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got my transit back this week with a new transmission courtesy of Ford. Drone is completely gone. It appears I had a similar situation as a previous poster, there were debris from the torque converter in the transmission fluid, so obviously a TC failure. Can provide tech notes if anyone needs them to try and make the case with their dealer. Just PM me.

2015 T-350 XLT 12 Passenger, 3.7 Liter

·
Registered
836 Posts
148"
3.7 liter
T-350

We just bought ours and noticed the drone. The engine also revs up and down 50-150 RPM with consistent accelerator pressure/cruise control when the drone happens. The drone doesn't happen at a specific speed but is prevalent when we're running between 2000 and 2500 RPM.

We took it into the dealer and they diagnosed a bad torque converter. We're at 59,700 miles and barely got it covered under the powertrain warranty.
Crud, I have to get mine in as I’m at 58,000. Similar conditions here, cruising between 65-67 MPH if I press the accelerator slightly the vibration will occur very reliably for 1-2 seconds. Maybe 50-100 RPM increase.

I hope they don’t deny me because of slightly oversized tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2015 T250 MED ROOF 148" WB 3.2L diesel, don't know the gear ratio. It has 16,500 miles on it the 3 yr. warranty has expired. Last week it started making the drone noise. Should I take it to the dealer ship or what? The noise has become pretty frequent when it's started sometimes it stop for a little while then it's back. What has been the culprit of the noise in most cases?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
It is still within the powertrain warranty period which goes beyond 3 years though.

Most reports with solutions involve the torque converter, the challenge is getting the right service person to verify the thrum and then be persistent in solving the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 LWB High Roof - looks like I have the same issue

2018 with 35k. Just bought it, driving it home it sounded like a sub-woofer was pulsing in the back of the van and the vibration is noticeable in the steering wheel and rear view mirror. I thought it was the road during the test drive. Once on the interstate, and being new to the vehicle I thought it was wind buffeting until it had a real pattern. After the drive I noticed these things. Seems not as intense at lower gears / speeds, seems to stop all together when coasting, and also seems to travel from front to back as it subsides. I crawled under the vehicle to see if it had a rubber Guibo, but it does not. I also noticed what looked like weights on one section of the drive shaft, two placed fairly close together but different sizes (looked like domed heads of a carriage bolt). I was thinking the drive shaft is not balanced, but reading through this thread it's also a possible TC issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 LWB High Roof - looks like I have the same issue

2018 with 35k. Just bought it, driving it home it sounded like a sub-woofer was pulsing in the back of the van and the vibration is noticeable in the steering wheel and rear view mirror. I thought it was the road during the test drive. Once on the interstate, and being new to the vehicle I thought it was wind buffeting until it had a real pattern. After the drive I noticed these things. Seems not as intense at lower gears / speeds, seems to stop all together when coasting, and also seems to travel from front to back as it subsides. I crawled under the vehicle to see if it had a rubber Guibo, but it does not. I also noticed what looked like weights on one section of the drive shaft, two placed fairly close together but different sizes (looked like domed heads of a carriage bolt). I was thinking the drive shaft is not balanced, but reading through this thread it's also a possible TC issue.
Dealership fixed, under warranty. It was the torque converter. I still get a little drone at 25-30, but the RPM bumps and Sub-woofer drone at higher speeds are gone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think i have a different issue (or maybe no issue at all). Around 1800 RPM going bw 50-60mph I have a humming noise when i let off the gas. Hit the gas it goes away. When i put it in neutral it goes away. I can park the car and rev the engine to 1800-2000 RPM then let go and I can hear the same noise coming from the muffler and I hear it sputtering in a way. Like its trying to handle the difference in air flow and handle the sudden drop in RPM. I just got my van last week so i dont think its anything major in the drive line. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Try this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP!! 2019 Ford transit connect Droning!!

I just purchased a brand new left over 2019 connect and at 60 mph the drone drives me nuts! the dealer is not willing to look into it or help with finding a solution.. anyone have this issue?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Many of us have the issue on our full size transits. But there is a dedicated Transit Connect forum where you may want to post as it would be more specific to your issue. The short of it is that it could be many things causing it. I still haven't figured out my issue and I have had the problem since day 1 driving it off the lot in KC.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,869 Posts
Has anyone with a Quigley conversion indicated presence of the droning noise? As part of the conversion the OEM drive shafts are shortened and balanced to a stricter tolerance than OEM. I've seen a few people on here give thought to having their driveshafts better balanced by an aftermarket shop. I'd be curious to see the results if someone went that way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For me the noise only happens when i let off the gas so I am leaning more towards an exhaust design issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted about my issue awhile back it's there. My noise is a load roaring/humming. After you drive the van for about 15-20 minutes it starts it does it when you're sitting idol and driving. Not much of a change when you press the accelerator no vibrations or anything. Does that still sound like it could be a Torque Converter problem? The dealership couldn't make it do it when I left it with them to fix one of the many recalls, I don't think they let it run or drove it long enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Radiator fan? Mine is quite loud when it is on high speed.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I posted about my issue awhile back it's there. My noise is a load roaring/humming. After you drive the van for about 15-20 minutes it starts it does it when you're sitting idol and driving. Not much of a change when you press the accelerator no vibrations or anything. Does that still sound like it could be a Torque Converter problem? The dealership couldn't make it do it when I left it with them to fix one of the many recalls, I don't think they let it run or drove it long enough.
TC wouldn't be doing it constantly, only at certain RPM in certain gears, and your RPM gauge would be jumping up 50-150 when it does it.

Maybe you have the broken exhaust manifold bolts that some people with ecoboost have reported? You should get out and walk around the van and listen where it's coming from next time it happens.Maybe pop the hood open and listen. Could be exhaust pipe or heat shield vibrating, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 transit 150, 130” wheelbase, 1k miles drone is the worst at 75 gone at 80. You would’ve hoped that they had this straightened out by now. But it’s a brand new van and it’s had the drone since day 1.

121 - 140 of 180 Posts